• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION] agreed, I think the alt right sees him as a useful tool but if they got their way and triumphed over the left, they’d no longer have use for him and he would then be the next target in their sights

It's a scary thought that any political angle should become so over-domineering that it 'triumphs' over any other. Yeah I agree.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's a scary thought that any political angle should become so over-domineering that it 'triumphs' over any other. Yeah I agree.

Well, that's how they see it. To borrow one of Peterson's terms, they are gripped by "ideological possession." The ideologically possessed of the left and right tend to see everything as a life and death, zero sum game.

I think he's already become a target for some alt right people. The Murdoch Murdoch people (don't watch if easily offended) have already taken aim at him and other figures they've deemed "alt lite." I think I've seen him labelled "controlled opposition" as well. :shrug:

Metis

He's openly stated that the behaviour that has come from university campuses could just as easily come from the right as the left.

Well, that's how they see it. To borrow one of Peterson's terms, they are gripped by "ideological possession." The ideologically possessed of the left and right tend to see everything as a life and death, zero sum game.

Without a solid foundation in what citizenship and civic rights and responsibilities entail, this is how a lot of people are learning about politics--through ideologies that are marketed to them. People are not learning how to participate as individuals, or in groups without getting swept up. Even in colleges, where people should be learning, if they haven't already, to think critically and reason for themselves about politics, there's a focus on "activism" as the primary means of political engagement. I see popular college courses and degree programs in Activism replacing an education in critical reasoning and sober-minded civic engagement.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
12 rules for life - an antidote to disillusionment

1. Their body does not lie.
2. Treat yourself as you would use someone.
3. The only friend you really need is yourself.
4. Realize comparing is only to wake you yourself up, no further than that.
5. Let your children understand why the things they do work the way they do.
6. Criticize the world for why you have a house.
7. Pursue what is natural. What makes you act unnaturally? Stop that.
8. Live the truth. What you say won't matter.
9. People will only tell you what they think you want to hear. The faster you realize that, the faster you can move on.
10. Let your speech accept alternate possibilities.
11. Please mold yourself to your children's lives.
12. Wait for the cat to give the signal to come pet it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
12 rules for life - an antidote to disillusionment

1. Their body does not lie.
2. Treat yourself as you would use someone.
3. The only friend you really need is yourself.
4. Realize comparing is only to wake you yourself up, no further than that.
5. Let your children understand why the things they do work the way they do.
6. Criticize the world for why you have a house.
7. Pursue what is natural. What makes you act unnaturally? Stop that.
8. Live the truth. What you say won't matter.
9. People will only tell you what they think you want to hear. The faster you realize that, the faster you can move on.
10. Let your speech accept alternate possibilities.
11. Please mold yourself to your children's lives.
12. Wait for the cat to give the signal to come pet it.

My favorites here are #s 3, 5, 6, 10 and 12

Lark

I thought that was an awful book but even awful books, like awful people, have a role to play.

Even if its just as an example of what you never want to be or become.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought that was an awful book but even awful books, like awful people, have a role to play.

Even if its just as an example of what you never want to be or become.

I thought you said you were passing on reading it?

Why do you think or imply he’s a awful person?

Lark

I thought you said you were passing on reading it?

A friend of mine has been telling me about it ever since they bought it. I feel as though I'm as good as having read it at this point. Plus I got the cliff notes from a couple of newspaper reviews, they thought it was good but from what they had to say about it I didnt.

I actually am reading a book called The Antidote at the moment, I think it is much better, its a book written by an enemy of so called positive thinking, which is something which is ascendant that I personally dislike at the moment.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A friend of mine has been telling me about it ever since they bought it. I feel as though I'm as good as having read it at this point. Plus I got the cliff notes from a couple of newspaper reviews, they thought it was good but from what they had to say about it I didnt.

I actually am reading a book called The Antidote at the moment, I think it is much better, its a book written by an enemy of so called positive thinking, which is something which is ascendant that I personally dislike at the moment.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of it is just distilled from his lectures anyway. I don’t spend a lot of money on new books. I’d buy it used if I saw it, or I might check it out from the library.

I’m more interested in finding and reading his first book, Maps of Meaning

Lark

Yeah, it seems like a lot of it is just distilled from his lectures anyway. I don’t spend a lot of money on new books. I’d buy it used if I saw it, or I might check it out from the library.

I’m more interested in finding and reading his first book, Maps of Meaning

I tend to find a lot of those books to be pretty similar, publishing houses have different formats and that they recycle and commission, or so it seems. A lot of books on various non-fiction topics seem like collections of journalistic research, they really, really vary in terms of how well the narrative flows aswell.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to find a lot of those books to be pretty similar, publishing houses have different formats and that they recycle and commission, or so it seems. A lot of books on various non-fiction topics seem like collections of journalistic research, they really, really vary in terms of how well the narrative flows as well.

yeah, I don't see the value in dropping 10 to 20 bucks on those types of books when a lot of it is recycled wisdom from classic writings like Plato, Lao Tzu, the Stoics, etc.

If I see something like that for 1 or 2 dollars in a thrift store then I might pick it up.

I remember when The Secret was the flavor of the year, everyone was buying it, and then there was some self-help/actualization guru, I wish I could remember his name, but he was on a PBS special several years back and a lot of his words sounded like things I'd read in old philosophy and eastern religion books, only repackaged for a new audience. But you'd think these writers were offering new insights based on how people talked up their books.

I'm not saying these sorts of things don't have some value, just that it's often recycled wisdom for a new market.

Lark

yeah, I don't see the value in dropping 10 to 20 bucks on those types of books when a lot of it is recycled wisdom from classic writings like Plato, Lao Tzu, the Stoics, etc.

If I see something like that for 1 or 2 dollars in a thrift store then I might pick it up.

I remember when The Secret was the flavor of the year, everyone was buying it, and then there was some self-help/actualization guru, I wish I could remember his name, but he was on a PBS special several years back and a lot of his words sounded like things I'd read in old philosophy and eastern religion books, only repackaged for a new audience. But you'd think these writers were offering new insights based on how people talked up their books.

I'm not saying these sorts of things don't have some value, just that it's often recycled wisdom for a new market.

My pet peeve is paying for and reading content which I think is probably recycled from free sources or journalism online. Like if you read books and you know about as much or learn about as much as you would have spending two or three hours reading wikis, its been a waste of both time and money.

If some book or author is "on fire" nothing surer than you'll find it in the thrift store or in the bargain bin soon enough, I'm usually happy to wait until then.

The Secret I actually hate, I read the original source for much of that mumbo jumbo and I couldnt believe it, I was shocked that lots of individuals were like quick to jump on trendy, atheist, religion damning bandwagons but couldnt see that things like The Secret, Power of Attraction, Cosmic Ordering etc. are even worse, even more mumbo jumbo and superstitious than the more prosaic religions they'd so readily poured scorn on.

I thought Alan Watts was totally one of the second hand dealers in ideas but there are others, I dont like how some authors target younger well meaning readers with over complex and impenetrable texts to shift books, Marcuse was like that.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that voice :/

They need to dub over him with like hmm, James Earl Jones.

I have just started reading Jordan Peterson's book, "12 rules for life - An antidote to chaos".

In the book he presents 12 rules as follows.

Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back

Rule 2 Treat yourself like you would someone you are responsible for helping

Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you

Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today

Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them

Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticise the world

Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

Rule 8 Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie

Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

Rule 10 Be precise in your speech

Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding

Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Have anyone read or is currently reading the book?

What do you think the twelve rules for life should be?

Do you have any other thoughts about the book?

So much of this just really seems regurgitated from what others who have come before have said, just slightly worded differently enough to not get hit by the plagiarism police.

Pet a cat on the street? lol. where does this guy live? Lollipop farms? That and the skateboarding comment come off to me as trying to make something profound that doesn't have a right to be so.

1. emily post
2. oprah
3. 90% of self help books already out
4. a harvard valedictorian speech
5. idk
6. jesus
7. 90% of self help books already out
8. sesame street
9. oprah
10. every debate class ever
11. common sense?
12. i guess 12 rules sounds better than 11?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
#12 was originally Steve Irwin's rule, only instead of cats, he was talking about pythons and crocodiles.

Lark

There's a really good book by an author Oliver Burkeman called The Antidote: Happiness for people who can't stand positive thinking, if you're going to spend some time reading, I would recommend that book.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The hit pieces keep flowing out. Vox just published one with (extremely) tenuous connections to white supremacist thinking, connections that evaporate as soon as one does any real investigation and learns Peterson's viewpoint. I saw another piece alleging anti-Semitism, and if I remember correctly, the reason it gave was his fascination with studying authoritarian regimes and the holocaust--by that same logic, I must have homicidal tendencies because I am interested in reading about serial killers and ascertaining what makes them want to kill.

Again, a deeper read of Peterson's views shows how laughable these sorts of claims are. Either these writers aren't doing their research, or they're being knowingly dishonest and deceptive. Highly unethical "journalism". It's one thing to present a balanced view. The NYT Weiss article did that, it didn't let Peterson and his peers like Sam Harris "off the hook" but rather considered both perspectives. My main disagreement with Weiss, is that I don't think these so-called "dark web intellectuals" are being silenced so much as they're being misrepresented in a lot of print and TV media.

The NBC segment was particularly amusing, they labelled him "alt right intellectual" right out of the gate and didn't bother to mention his criticisms of right wing identity politics, particularly in the wake of the Charlottesville violence last year.

No matter, he's so careful with his words that even when interviews are cut down and his words presented out of context in an attempt to make him look like an extremist ideologue, the end result still doesn't have that desired effect. I think he learned after the channel 4 interview how easily he can brush these sort of hits off and still come out looking better.

Why are people so afraid of him?