User Tag List

First 12

Thread: What the devil?

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar

"It's hard to see the devil from inside his mask."
    Likes StrawberryBoots liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    The devil didn't go anywhere, it's been slightly updated. Melkor and Sauron, Voldemort, et al.

These are basically modern versions of the Lucifer archetype. The most obvious film versions would be Palpatine from the Star Wars saga, and maybe that Javier Bardem character in No Country For Old Men.
    I do think that's right, or at least those are good villains, I just like the more traditional screen presence or idea I guess.

@asynartetic is the key to all this.

They don't rhyme at all, but I know it. I do.

Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes magpie, Xann, StrawberryBoots liked this post

The devil, Lucifer a fallen angel, is a Christian concept. Modern entertainment is reflecting multiple cultures and beliefs (including the lack of a particular belief) so the story of good and evil has diversified because of this. The devil is taking a backseat to a wider perspective.

I’m enjoying seeing good and evil being portrayed in different ways. The best characters are neither purely good nor evil (ie Jaime Lannister of Game of Thrones, one of the most perplexing individuals I’ve ever loved and hated simultaneously). Although I believe some people are truly more vile than good, I think most of us are simply too complex to be put under one category or the other. Good, evil, and neutral actions are occurring everyday by all of us and those actions ripple through our realities in a very intricately interwoven tapestry called existence. I believe there are a multitude of forces at work that help give birth to acts both good and evil. Saying one is produced by an ultimate force for good and the other by an ultimate force for evil is too simple an explanation imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    The devil, Lucifer a fallen angel, is a Christian concept. Modern entertainment is reflecting multiple cultures and beliefs (including the lack of a particular belief) so the story of good and evil has diversified because of this. The devil is taking a backseat to a wider perspective.

I’m enjoying seeing good and evil being portrayed in different ways. The best characters are neither purely good nor evil (ie Jaime Lannister of Game of Thrones, one of the most perplexing individuals I’ve ever loved and hated simultaneously). Although I believe some people are truly more vile than good, I think most of us are simply too complex to be put under one category or the other. Good, evil, and neutral actions are occurring everyday by all of us and those actions ripple through our realities in a very intricately interwoven tapestry called existence. I believe there are a multitude of forces at work that help give birth to acts both good and evil. Saying one is produced by an ultimate force for good and the other by an ultimate force for evil is too simple an explanation imo.