• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Participation drives in public life, business or civil society

Lark

What do you think of these? I know that there are periodically attempts to evaluate public participation in or with public services and discussions of how enabling participation or empowering individuals to participate can be achieved, it is sometimes used as a means of evaluation the performance of public servants and professionals, such as nurses, social workers, even police, and it fits with overall considerations of service performance and social inclusion agendas.

However, I realise that business does this too, with employee newsletters, clubs and societies, notice boards with informal team building or workplace social initiatives, its something along with positions of responsibility held which is scrutinized in CVs even if it appears ephemeral.

What do you think about these things or trends? Is it all "busy work" or do you think it has potential for improvement of life in the workplace, life in general? Is it all a matter of encouragement and motivation and what do you think introversion and extroversion have to do with it?

Metis

What do you think of these? I know that there are periodically attempts to evaluate public participation in or with public services and discussions of how enabling participation or empowering individuals to participate can be achieved, it is sometimes used as a means of evaluation the performance of public servants and professionals, such as nurses, social workers, even police, and it fits with overall considerations of service performance and social inclusion agendas.

However, I realise that business does this too, with employee newsletters, clubs and societies, notice boards with informal team building or workplace social initiatives, its something along with positions of responsibility held which is scrutinized in CVs even if it appears ephemeral.

What do you think about these things or trends?

I think a lot of it is double-talk, people claiming that they're providing "opportunities" for others' usually unpaid participation, while they are really just aggrandizing themselves, pumping up their own CVs with the "position of responsibility" that they hold over the people to whom they've provided these so-called opportunities, and making their own lives look more important in the eyes of others, as well as feel more important to themselves. Often they're getting money for it, too, while the participants are unpaid or are even being charged money--exorbitant amounts sometimes--for the ostensible privilege of contributing to something "meaningful".

Then again, a lot of it also can be genuine enthusiasm and wanting to get people involved in something cool, together.

And sometimes it's naiveté. The person is idealistic, wants to do his/her part to "make the world better," and thinks that others share the same outlook, but of course, not all do (most don't).

Is it all "busy work" or do you think it has potential for improvement of life in the workplace, life in general?

It depends on what it is and on whether people involved are able to keep their feet on the ground or get carried away with their epiphanies, meaning-seeking, and "peak moments".

[MENTION=7280]Survive & Stay Free[/MENTION] Thanks, interesting topic.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure how effective they are, but I for one am actually glad they exist, if only because it's comforting to know that their are people out there still trying to jar people from their apathy and get involved in...well....anything

I say that out of pure self interest as well. I'm far too cynical these days and enjoy having people around me that aren't.