• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ethics of using a student id when you're no longer a student.

Would you conitnue to use a student id after graduation?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A student ID can be useful for discounts and free basic admission to museums. Would you continue to use it, if you could, even after you graduated? Or do you see that as wrong?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i was gifted a student ID of someone who looked vaguely like me and enjoyed my free bus fare for a year. and have definitely used mine to get discounts when i wasn’t in school.

that’s why i’m neutral and not good :D

Lark

My student ID is valid 'til 2021, even though I graduated. I plan on using it to the fullest. No shame.

:spindance:

Its been a while since I was a student, about eleven or twelve years, this is the longest I've gone without being at university, but I did that and there was nothing wrong with it. Students are generally pretty impoverished.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I suppose this is one of those doesnt-quite-hurt-people crimes people do. I grew up poor AF. If I wanted to do things or see them, I used any and every discount I possibly could.

Have before, would again.

Ingrid in grids

Its been a while since I was a student, about eleven or twelve years, this is the longest I've gone without being at university, but I did that and there was nothing wrong with it. Students are generally pretty impoverished.

I forget to use it a lot of the time, even when I was studying. I still have the reflex to say "yes" when asked if I'm a student, though.

Lark

I forget to use it a lot of the time, even when I was studying. I still have the reflex to say "yes" when asked if I'm a student, though.

In some ways I think you could answer yes to that question all your days and that would be true but they probably mean if you're enrolled some place rather than if you're still learning.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
College is too expensive for me to moralize over discounts.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would consider it unethical.

The discounts are meant to help out those in need and are usually indirectly financed by the taxpayer and/or those paying full price.

For context: In my country universities are tuition-free. So it's not like you paid a fortune to earn the status of "student" and no have to "get the most out of it". Museums etc that offer a discount to students usually also offer it to the unemployed, the disabled and the retired. So if you are fresh out of uni and still looking for your first job, you might still get some of those discounts anyway.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think it's too bad. I would probably do it if desperate enough. Tbh though rn I'm too afraid to ask if they have a student discount unless it's obvious because I don't want to be rejected lol.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Using my student id to acquire discounts and benefits after I graduate? Absolutely not.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't care either way.

gromit

likes this
I used it after I graduated, when I was studying for my board exam, and prior to my first job.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A student ID can be useful for discounts and free basic admission to museums. Would you continue to use it, if you could, even after you graduated? Or do you see that as wrong?
Depends on what I was using it to do. If to sneak into one of the dorms to steal something or harass someone, then no. If to sneak into the library to look at a book that isn't in the public library, or get a discount as in your example, then yes - I don't consider that wrong.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. And every once in awhile, I get offered the youth discount for 12 and under...

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whether or not you're currently a student seems too much like semantics for me to actually care ethically about using an ID card for my own personal gain. If I could get away with it, I'd do it everytime and never think twice about it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I would consider it unethical.

The discounts are meant to help out those in need and are usually indirectly financed by the taxpayer and/or those paying full price.

For context: In my country universities are tuition-free. So it's not like you paid a fortune to earn the status of "student" and no have to "get the most out of it". Museums etc that offer a discount to students usually also offer it to the unemployed, the disabled and the retired. So if you are fresh out of uni and still looking for your first job, you might still get some of those discounts anyway.

This.
I think that here they cancel your card right after you are finished with education.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This.
I think that here they cancel your card right after you are finished with education.

In my experience, the account is usually kept open at least 1-2 years afterwards for alumni status in America. And here, it can cost anywhere between $10K-$60K+ a year for university.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
In my experience, the account is usually kept openat least 1-2 years for alumni status in America. And here, it can cost anywhere between $10K-$60K+ a year for university.

Well, for that amount of money I would perhaps abuse it as well. Since university simply isn't worth that kind of money in my book.