• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The ethics of using a student id when you're no longer a student.

Would you conitnue to use a student id after graduation?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my experience, the account is usually kept open at least 1-2 years afterwards for alumni status in America. And here, it can cost anywhere between $10K-$60K+ a year for university.

In Germany people went to the streets when tuition fees of about 500 Euros per semester were introduced.

A few years later most federal states abandoned them again.

You also get student support money from the state if your parents' income is below a certain level. Half of that money has to be repayed after graduation, the other half is a non-repayable subsidy.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Save a few bucks and put it towards your ridiculous student debt

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would consider it unethical.

The discounts are meant to help out those in need and are usually indirectly financed by the taxpayer and/or those paying full price.

For context: In my country universities are tuition-free. So it's not like you paid a fortune to earn the status of "student" and no have to "get the most out of it". Museums etc that offer a discount to students usually also offer it to the unemployed, the disabled and the retired. So if you are fresh out of uni and still looking for your first job, you might still get some of those discounts anyway.
The cost of many activities that offer student discounts - concerts, museum admission, etc. - here is often prohibitive for large segments of society, far beyond students. This includes people in lower wage jobs, families supporting children or elders who aren't very wealthy, etc. On top of this, many orchestras and museums in my area complain about dwindling audiences, yet no one puts two and two together. I think everyone should be able to enjoy the arts, and find it unfortunate that cost is so often a barrier. So yes - if someone can get a cheap ticket with an old student ID, I'm all for it. If it gives them the chance to develop an appreciation for music or art so they support it financially later when they are able, it is worth it for everyone.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a lie and therefore technically unethical in my opinion, but I'd probably do it anyway because it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I've been ripped off too many times in the past, might as well rip others off too.