First 34567 Last

MBTI
    IST_

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    What religion do you follow, if any?
    Non-denominational Christian.

Do you believe in God?
    Yes

Did you have any experiences in your life that have shaped your beliefs?
    If you mean miracles, no! I find that what most describe as miracles are things that are merely amazing. Or perhaps coincidental. Not going to say that they don't happen, just that I've never witnessed any and tend to be pretty skeptical about most accounts of miracles. I'm always cognizant of the fact that just because I haven't seen something doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen. However, I am skeptical about the accounts I've heard to this point in my life.

Feel free to discuss whatever you are comfortable with. I am just very curious about all of this.
    Anything in particular you are curious about?
    Likes Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have described my spirituality in a number of other threads, so I will just summarize. I believe there is more to us than our physical bodies, and more to the world than the material world. I cannot prove this, however, which is why I call it a belief. I like to think that some part of us continues after death, but that is as much wishful thinking as anything else. I consider myself more spiritual than religious in that I don't confine myself to one denomination or set of religious practice. I seek God where he may be found, and he is found in all of them, and outside of them. I was raised Catholic, but left that behind by the time I finished college. This was followed by a rather frustrating "dry spell" after which I found my way again on a new path. My primary affiliation is Pagan, but I also regularly participate in Christian worship, and occasionally in devotions and activities of my local Baha'i and Unitarian communities.
    Coriolis wrote (all quotes are Coriolis followed by my response), (1) "...described my spirituality in a number of other threads...summarize."

I am agnostic Coriolis and am leaning toward atheism. I believe we are matter and energy. There is no scientific proof of a God. If I were to create a world the least I could do is have human beings utilize reason and think critically. This in lieu of blind spots, rationalization, denial, emotional reasoning and other cognitive fallacies.

(2) "...more to us than our physical bodies...more... the world than the material world." and "...part of us continues after death...wishful thinking... anything else."

I can't make the leap of faith that in this wide universe we are so special, that we would have a spiritual afterlife retaining our identities and being reunited with lost ones and finally to live for all eternity. I am not saying this is what you are implying. I have always respected you and along with that are your beliefs. I have a saying, "That what I Think, Feel and Believe passionately to be true may in fact be false."
    Coriolis I have shifted my religious and spiritual views my entire life.

As I've posted in another thread I was saved at a Church of the Nazarene. I then attended Brentwood Baptist Church. This was in my early teens. I have been through a lot in life Coriolis. There was a phase where I did not like to use nouns such as God, Devil, Heaven, Hell, etc., because I thought it contaminated the data. For to me these nouns have become corrupted in their original meanings. I was content to say, "All I know is what is inside my head and that there is something above us all. This period of my life lasted a mere 1 year.

(3) "...consider myself... spiritual...religious..."

To me metaphorically the best representation of God is nature or our Mother Earth.

(4) "....don't confine myself to one denomination or set of religious practice." and "I seek God where he may be found, and he is found in all of them, and outside of them."

Here I am aligned. I've read all the religious texts of the worlds major religions. I incorporate the wisdom teachings of the ancients and secular quotations that appeal to my reason.

(5) "My primary affiliation is Pagan, but I also regularly participate in Christian worship, and occasionally in devotions and activities of my local Baha'i and Unitarian communities."

Though not pagan per se I am existentialist and humanist and have always found the features of any religion which holds respect for animals and nature whether Wicca, Native American, Shinto, and the Hindu's reverence for life.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTP

I believe in America.
    America's made'a my fortune.
    And I raise my daughter in American fashion...

MBTI
    ISTP

Buddhism and I frequently meditate hoping to develop kinder thoughts (metta meditation) and to attain Jhana (anapanasati meditation), thereby Nirvana. So far my meditation progress has been slow but it's better compared to people who meditate rarely.

I believe in afterlife and Karma therefore I believe that what you believe in (your religion) DOESN'T determine your afterlife. Your actions and your thoughts do. So when a person prays to Jesus or Shiva or Mary or God or Spirits or ancestors I don't think it's wrong because for me what matters are your actions.

However, if a person who prays to a particular god/religion says that his god is right and worshipping your god is a sin, then I think it's hypocritical and comical.

If a atheist or an agnostic calls me a fool for having the above beliefs - which has happened in the past - I admit that I am being somewhat foolish for believing in what I haven't seen. But I also say that I will continue to do so because having a belief system can help you deal with stress at times and stress is what we constantly work to remove.
    Last edited by Riva; 02-06-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Likes lightsun, Xann, Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm agnostic on God but I lean very strongly towards ghosts and reincarnation being real. I personally know 5 people who've experienced communications with a dead relative.
    Uncle Roger needs to stop picking on Jamie Oliver. I'm sure chili jam is delightful in egg fried rice.
    Likes Xann, Frosty, Doctor Anaximander liked this post

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by UnitOfPopulation View Post
    I follow the Jehovah's Witness.
    The Jehovah's Witnesses were recently called before the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse, and we found they had been raping. children and covering it up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Modern Gnostic Unitarian. That is probably about as close to a label as I can come up with.

Atheist with a light sprinkle of agnosticism. Until someone proves that unicorns or gods exist, I won't believe in them.

I generally believe in the Theory of Evolution, DNA, Alleles/mutation and RNA. Except for ground zero (the spark that started life), it continues to be proven all the time through research and experiments. It likely won't be long before they pinpoint ground zero, whatever that might be, whether through evolutionary forces or maybe even single cell life forms encased in ice, at the center of a meteorite.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I believe that there is no purpose to life but what we give it and it's up to us to strive to make the world the best place we can during our brief lives before we dissolve back into the universe from which we came...

...aka another optimistic nihilist
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett
    Likes N/A, Frosty, Flâneuse, Red Herring liked this post

Permabanned

This

Quote Originally Posted by Isk Stark View Post
    I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried;

And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father;

And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.
    Amen.