• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you believe?

jamain

MBTI Type
IST_
What religion do you follow, if any?
Non-denominational Christian.

Do you believe in God?
Yes

Did you have any experiences in your life that have shaped your beliefs?
If you mean miracles, no! I find that what most describe as miracles are things that are merely amazing. Or perhaps coincidental. Not going to say that they don't happen, just that I've never witnessed any and tend to be pretty skeptical about most accounts of miracles. I'm always cognizant of the fact that just because I haven't seen something doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen. However, I am skeptical about the accounts I've heard to this point in my life.

Feel free to discuss whatever you are comfortable with. I am just very curious about all of this.

Anything in particular you are curious about?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have described my spirituality in a number of other threads, so I will just summarize. I believe there is more to us than our physical bodies, and more to the world than the material world. I cannot prove this, however, which is why I call it a belief. I like to think that some part of us continues after death, but that is as much wishful thinking as anything else. I consider myself more spiritual than religious in that I don't confine myself to one denomination or set of religious practice. I seek God where he may be found, and he is found in all of them, and outside of them. I was raised Catholic, but left that behind by the time I finished college. This was followed by a rather frustrating "dry spell" after which I found my way again on a new path. My primary affiliation is Pagan, but I also regularly participate in Christian worship, and occasionally in devotions and activities of my local Baha'i and Unitarian communities.

Coriolis wrote (all quotes are Coriolis followed by my response), (1) "...described my spirituality in a number of other threads...summarize."

I am agnostic Coriolis and am leaning toward atheism. I believe we are matter and energy. There is no scientific proof of a God. If I were to create a world the least I could do is have human beings utilize reason and think critically. This in lieu of blind spots, rationalization, denial, emotional reasoning and other cognitive fallacies.

(2) "...more to us than our physical bodies...more... the world than the material world." and "...part of us continues after death...wishful thinking... anything else."

I can't make the leap of faith that in this wide universe we are so special, that we would have a spiritual afterlife retaining our identities and being reunited with lost ones and finally to live for all eternity. I am not saying this is what you are implying. I have always respected you and along with that are your beliefs. I have a saying, "That what I Think, Feel and Believe passionately to be true may in fact be false."
Coriolis I have shifted my religious and spiritual views my entire life.

As I've posted in another thread I was saved at a Church of the Nazarene. I then attended Brentwood Baptist Church. This was in my early teens. I have been through a lot in life Coriolis. There was a phase where I did not like to use nouns such as God, Devil, Heaven, Hell, etc., because I thought it contaminated the data. For to me these nouns have become corrupted in their original meanings. I was content to say, "All I know is what is inside my head and that there is something above us all. This period of my life lasted a mere 1 year.

(3) "...consider myself... spiritual...religious..."

To me metaphorically the best representation of God is nature or our Mother Earth.

(4) "....don't confine myself to one denomination or set of religious practice." and "I seek God where he may be found, and he is found in all of them, and outside of them."

Here I am aligned. I've read all the religious texts of the worlds major religions. I incorporate the wisdom teachings of the ancients and secular quotations that appeal to my reason.

(5) "My primary affiliation is Pagan, but I also regularly participate in Christian worship, and occasionally in devotions and activities of my local Baha'i and Unitarian communities."

Though not pagan per se I am existentialist and humanist and have always found the features of any religion which holds respect for animals and nature whether Wicca, Native American, Shinto, and the Hindu's reverence for life.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I believe in America.
America's made'a my fortune.
And I raise my daughter in American fashion...

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Buddhism and I frequently meditate hoping to develop kinder thoughts (metta meditation) and to attain Jhana (anapanasati meditation), thereby Nirvana. So far my meditation progress has been slow but it's better compared to people who meditate rarely.

I believe in afterlife and Karma therefore I believe that what you believe in (your religion) DOESN'T determine your afterlife. Your actions and your thoughts do. So when a person prays to Jesus or Shiva or Mary or God or Spirits or ancestors I don't think it's wrong because for me what matters are your actions.

However, if a person who prays to a particular god/religion says that his god is right and worshipping your god is a sin, then I think it's hypocritical and comical.

If a atheist or an agnostic calls me a fool for having the above beliefs - which has happened in the past - I admit that I am being somewhat foolish for believing in what I haven't seen. But I also say that I will continue to do so because having a belief system can help you deal with stress at times and stress is what we constantly work to remove.

Last edited:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm agnostic on God but I lean very strongly towards ghosts and reincarnation being real. I personally know 5 people who've experienced communications with a dead relative.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Modern Gnostic Unitarian. That is probably about as close to a label as I can come up with.

rav3n

Atheist with a light sprinkle of agnosticism. Until someone proves that unicorns or gods exist, I won't believe in them.

I generally believe in the Theory of Evolution, DNA, Alleles/mutation and RNA. Except for ground zero (the spark that started life), it continues to be proven all the time through research and experiments. It likely won't be long before they pinpoint ground zero, whatever that might be, whether through evolutionary forces or maybe even single cell life forms encased in ice, at the center of a meteorite.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I believe that there is no purpose to life but what we give it and it's up to us to strive to make the world the best place we can during our brief lives before we dissolve back into the universe from which we came...

...aka another optimistic nihilist :)

Beorn

Permabanned
This

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried;

And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father;

And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.
Amen.

Beorn

Permabanned
The Jehovah's Witnesses were recently called before the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse, and we found they had been raping. children and covering it up.

Lately, in America, we've been uncovering lots of sexual abuse by old white men.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I believee I can flyy, I can believe I can touch the skyyy... :whistling:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
About God: If there is a God, I think that the odds of him being me are very high.

About the afterlife: I believe that I will exist forever. If I die, it will be like going to sleep and then waking up. I doubt that there is a reward or punishment waiting for the dead based on how they lived their life. There isn't such a reward or punishment here in ordinary life, and I don't see why that would suddenly change when someone becomes a corpse.

About morality: I reject ethical codes, including those supposedly handed down from a higher being, almost on principal. I just follow my conscience, which I think is my best shot at peace of mind.

About the soul: The peculiar thing about the soul is that it is, for its owner, totally invisible. I can not see or touch or even accurately picture mine. So does it really exist? That's the question each person faces.
#godkin

bTH53hw.jpg

tumblr_ndsb6zpQB51sh7jydo3_1280.png

Mole

Permabanned
I believe about 3,000 years ago a signal change occurred, and that was the invention of the phonetic alphabet.

For 300,000 years we lived in Eden until the phonetic alphabet snaked into our lives.

But as I post the phonetic alphabet is receding and being replaced by the electronic sensibility.

I believe there is way more to existence and to reality than we can possibly grasp with our mammalian/reptilian brains. Yet it is the very nature of those brains to grasp at things. We go about attempting to interpret our lives with five senses that are wholly inadequate at times and often fill in the blanks with the familiar when attempting to explain the unfamiliar. I believe there is something akin to a sixth sense that isn’t mumbo jumbo magic. It’s rooted in science and it may eventually be explained by way of all things in the universe being inextricably connected on some level.

It’s a mad, mad world. Stay sane my friends!

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am Researcher. I am Nihilist. I am Antitheist. I am Gnostic. I am Agnostic. I am Absurdist. There is reality in nothingness and nothingness in reality. I don't believe in gods yet I am give them importance. "I don't want to believe. I want know." I want to know everything! I want to question everything even knowledge and facts. I want to make mad every close-minded creature on Earth. I have no problem in fate. After all everyone needs something or someone to believe. I have a problem with religion orchestra who use this beautiful man's desire to fit in their box. I have a problem with liars. I have a problem when I see one CULT should not be questioned! Religion, science ... I don't care from where it is come from. I question everything for what is not questioned is CULT! :D

Mole

Permabanned
I am Researcher. I am Nihilist. I am Antitheist. I am Gnostic. I am Agnostic. I am Absurdist. There is reality in nothingness and nothingness in reality. I don't believe in gods yet I am give them importance. "I don't want to believe. I want know." I want to know everything! I want to question everything even knowledge and facts. I want to make mad every close-minded creature on Earth. I have no problem in fate. After all everyone needs something or someone to believe. I have a problem with religion orchestra who use this beautiful man's desire to fit in their box. I have a problem with liars. I have a problem when I see one CULT should not be questioned! Religion, science ... I don't care from where it is come from. I question everything for what is not questioned is CULT! :D

Well mate, why not start questioning the cult of mbti?

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well mate, why not start questioning the cult of mbti?

But I also question that. It is very easily to be critical about something so I rather like to explain, to improve. It is harder. ;)

"You can have a lot of ISFJ as the most common type who does not walk on path to be housewife. And what does it tell you about MBTI? We are all different even if we are same type because ISFJ 1w2 136 sx/sp will never be same as ISFJ 2w1 216 sp! Ignorance of people is stunning!" :D

DWNniHnXUAEr-Fw.jpg