User Tag List

First 1234 Last

She explains it better than I could. I believe we're connected - all of us, for this very reason.
    Likes Frosty liked this post

Permabanned

We love to be entranced. And when we are entranced our critical minds go to sleep and our imaginative minds wake up. Different trances have different purposes, from the trance of driving a car to the trance of making love. And a common group trance is the religious trance, which has the purpose of teaching the dogma of the church to encouraging us to follow the moral teachings of the church.
    Likes biohazard, Frosty liked this post

Personally. I dont know whst I believe. Im spiritual I believe, I want to believe in a God... but Im not sure.

The only thing I dont really... like about religion... is that I believe that people should want to be decent and good to other people because its the right thing to do- and not because they fear they will go to hell. I dont like the idea of ‘maybe if I werent religious then I wouldnt do this for you’ because I dont know... I am kind of afraid it cheapens what good the person is doing.

But. Besides that all... I dont know. I more believe than I dont. But its... complicated

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I have described my spirituality in a number of other threads, so I will just summarize. I believe there is more to us than our physical bodies, and more to the world than the material world. I cannot prove this, however, which is why I call it a belief. I like to think that some part of us continues after death, but that is as much wishful thinking as anything else. I consider myself more spiritual than religious in that I don't confine myself to one denomination or set of religious practice. I seek God where he may be found, and he is found in all of them, and outside of them. I was raised Catholic, but left that behind by the time I finished college. This was followed by a rather frustrating "dry spell" after which I found my way again on a new path. My primary affiliation is Pagan, but I also regularly participate in Christian worship, and occasionally in devotions and activities of my local Bahai and Unitarian communities.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes deathwarmedup, lightsun, Frosty liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    In all seriousness, I was raised Protestant and still actively attend services. Theologically, however, my beliefs lean more toward humanist and/ or Unitarian. I try to follow the golden rule and not be a dick if I can summon the willpower.
    *nods*

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I currently attend church services at an Episcopal church and find the ritual, the liturgy, and the general attitude of the denomination to be quite agreeable. I considered myself something a secular Taoist for a long time but have found the Anglican Communion to be a like-minded and welcoming community for which to be a part of.

I am hesitant to call myself a Christian though because a lot of the theology I either don't understand or I find it convoluted and goofy. I'm not entirely sold on the Salvation mythology and as such I view Jesus as a "finger pointing at the moon" as it were, not some literal blood sacrifice. I am uncertain as to the existence of "God", whatever that may be, but choose to believe anyhow on the proposition that doing so will lead me.....somewhere....that will make be a better, more complete person. That proposition is open to change, however.
    Deered to kill a king's dare

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I'm an anti-theist. I would say I'm a full on skeptic because I go between atheism and agnosticism. I believe that any individual can be moral without the influence of religion. I'm also an individualist so I view religions on how they control the individual's free will.

This is a good description of my views.:

"I am not even an atheist so much as an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. Reviewing the false claims of religion I do not wish, as some sentimental materialists affect to wish, that they were true. I do not envy believers their faith. I am relieved to think that the whole story is a sinister fairy tale; life would be miserable if what the faithful affirmed was actually true.... There may be people who wish to live their lives under cradle-to-grave divine supervision, a permanent surveillance and monitoring. But I cannot imagine anything more horrible or grotesque."
    --- Christopher Hitchens
    Likes lightsun, Frosty liked this post

Likes Lark, Frosty liked this post

Interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    *nods*

Do you not find that people dismissing isms are among the greatest unconscious or unawares advocates of some ism after all?

I tend to find that anyway, do you think that Ferris' speech is a Generation Xer speech BTW?