User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 32

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    30,153

    Default

    I wonder if there will be sex offending when you guys have finally succeeded in stamping out roman catholicism?

    Oh wait, what if there's a whole range of examples of secular offenders and many roman catholics who've never ever been sex offenders? Perhaps, that's, I mean, maybe its... sectarian?! Maybe its like all that jew baiting that used to be popular when the protocols of the elders of zion said they were sacrificing babies they'd stolen from Christian families and stuff?

  2. #12
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    If it drew attention to the issue at hand I'd say mission accomplished.
    It drew attention to her, not the issue. And that is my point.

  3. #13
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    6,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I wonder if there will be sex offending when you guys have finally succeeded in stamping out roman catholicism?

    Oh wait, what if there's a whole range of examples of secular offenders and many roman catholics who've never ever been sex offenders? Perhaps, that's, I mean, maybe its... sectarian?! Maybe its like all that jew baiting that used to be popular when the protocols of the elders of zion said they were sacrificing babies they'd stolen from Christian families and stuff?
    I don’t think anyone is claiming Catholics are more prone to be child abusers. This is about the RCC 's proven record of covering up abuse by its priests (and in the case of O'Connor she also said it defended or trivialized domestic violence).
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  4. #14
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    6,720

    Default

    As for sources, how about the United Nations and the Pope himself?

    http://http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-25757218
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    30,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I don’t think anyone is claiming Catholics are more prone to be child abusers. This is about the RCC 's proven record of covering up abuse by its priests (and in the case of O'Connor she also said it defended or trivialized domestic violence).
    Do you know how many practicing Roman Catholics were involved in the final exposure of those cover ups? No, probably not, the RCC is a monolithic institution and not a faith community in the received wisdom of most liberals, in the case of both the trivializing of domestic violence and the actual sex offending the church, and it was wrong to do so, was not an opinion maker as it was an opinion taker, picking it up from the wider society, like I say its no excuse, but its a recognition of the reality and just how intractable and difficult a task it is to combat either issue.

    Secularists kid themselves with the "Church, eh?" shrug act, its also self-congratulatory too, the sort of "that thing never happens with us/around here" which is music to the ears of preps of all descriptions.

    I get tired of it but I should probably not respond if I dont want to be trolled in the first place. Its disappointing that incidents like that in the OP are exploited by people to promote their causes or get taken up as troll fodder.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I wonder if there will be sex offending when you guys have finally succeeded in stamping out roman catholicism?

    Oh wait, what if there's a whole range of examples of secular offenders and many roman catholics who've never ever been sex offenders? Perhaps, that's, I mean, maybe its... sectarian?! Maybe its like all that jew baiting that used to be popular when the protocols of the elders of zion said they were sacrificing babies they'd stolen from Christian families and stuff?
    Don't play dumb. Those perverts have been getting away with crimes against kids for decades while "Daddy" has covered their tracks. It's kind of like all those rich people you like to bitch about, getting away with shit. Only worse.
    Likes N/A liked this post

  7. #17
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    6,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    Do you know how many practicing Roman Catholics were involved in the final exposure of those cover ups? No, probably not, the RCC is a monolithic institution and not a faith community in the received wisdom of most liberals, in the case of both the trivializing of domestic violence and the actual sex offending the church, and it was wrong to do so, was not an opinion maker as it was an opinion taker, picking it up from the wider society, like I say its no excuse, but its a recognition of the reality and just how intractable and difficult a task it is to combat either issue.

    Secularists kid themselves with the "Church, eh?" shrug act, its also self-congratulatory too, the sort of "that thing never happens with us/around here" which is music to the ears of preps of all descriptions.

    I get tired of it but I should probably not respond if I dont want to be trolled in the first place. Its disappointing that incidents like that in the OP are exploited by people to promote their causes or get taken up as troll fodder.
    I'm not on an anti-Catholic campaign and never made the claims you are attacking in your post. Please don't project things others here or off the forum have said unto me!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes magpie liked this post

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    30,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Don't play dumb. Those perverts have been getting away with crimes against kids for decades while "Daddy" has covered their tracks. It's kind of like all those rich people you like to bitch about, getting away with shit. Only worse.
    What do you mean play dumb?

    Like I said there were plenty of offences which were covered up by the church, social attitudes were different back then, a lot of them remain unchanged, and they were and are as inclined to victim blaming as placing the blame where it squarely belongs, with the offender, a lot of people did the wrong thing but firmly believing they were doing the right thing for families, the tactic of moving offenders around the place with supervision is one secular authorities use as much as the religious have done in the past, I hope the secular authorities have more success, really I do, because the consequences of sex offending is significant harm and the trauma usually takes about sex generations to disappear to any extent.

    If you hadnt figured it out Jag most of the time when I mention the evil rich guys its a joke, I'm sure there are evil rich guys but pinning capitalism on a few evil rich guys is like blaming the motor car for the faults of a drink driver.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    30,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I'm not on an anti-Catholic campaign and never made the claims you are attacking in your post. Please don't project things others here or off the forum have said unto me!
    I'm not projecting, I dont see the great and the good the forum calling it out for what it is, IDK, maybe all minorities are not alike in that respect.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    I'm not projecting, I dont see the great and the good the forum calling it out for what it is, IDK, maybe all minorities are not alike in that respect.
    "I don't see the great. " What great?
    "and the good" What good?
    "calling it out" calling what out?
    "for what it is." For what 'what' is?
    "maybe all the minorities" what minorities?

    Tell it straight.

Similar Threads

  1. Rats may have been falsely accused of bringing plague to Europe
    By Olm the Water King in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2015, 07:43 AM
  2. Would anyone be so kind as to type this confused young girl?
    By MetalMoon in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 01:58 AM
  3. [ENFJ] ENFJs accused of indecision and manipulation
    By Drezoryx in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 07:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO