• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Empaths and MBTI type

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hiiiya,

Just wondering if anyone on here is an empath?

What is your MBTI type? And how does it relate to your type?

:unicorn:

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
How do you know if you are an empath?

Judith Orloff wrote a book called "The Empath's survival guide: Life strategies for sensitive people"

In her book she has a test to see if you are or not, here is a short version of it:

QUIZ: AM I AN EMPATH?

Ask yourself:
Have I been labeled as “too emotional” or overly sensitive?
If a friend is distraught, do I start feeling it too?
Are my feelings easily hurt?
Am I emotionally drained by crowds, require time alone to revive?
Do my nerves get jarred by noise, smells, or excessive talk?
Do I prefer taking my own car places so that I can leave when I please?
Do I overeat to cope with emotional stress?
Am I afraid of becoming engulfed by intimate relationships?

If you answer “yes” to 1-3 of these questions, you’re at least part empath. Responding “yes” to more than 3 indicates that you’ve found your emotional type.

Recognizing that you’re an empath is the first step in taking charge of your emotions instead of constantly drowning in them. Staying on top of empathy will improve your self-care and relationships.

Here's the website I got it from: How to Find Out Your Emotional Type - Judith Orloff MD

She also has a test in the book to know what type of empath you are: emotional, physical or intuitive. And then heyoka empaths have all of the 'abilities'.

Lark

Judith Orloff wrote a book called "The Empath's survival guide: Life strategies for sensitive people"

In her book she has a test to see if you are or not, here is a short version of it:

Ask yourself:

If you answer “yes” to 1-3 of these questions, you’re at least part empath. Responding “yes” to more than 3 indicates that you’ve found your emotional type.

Recognizing that you’re an empath is the first step in taking charge of your emotions instead of constantly drowning in them. Staying on top of empathy will improve your self-care and relationships.

Here's the website I got it from: How to Find Out Your Emotional Type - Judith Orloff MD

She also has a test in the book to know what type of empath you are: emotional, physical or intuitive. And then heyoka empaths have all of the 'abilities'.

Yes, I've been looking up books on this topic on Amazon today, I might read a bit more about that. :)

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I relate a lot to the empath stuff up there and I am a ENxP (Not sure on which one). I think it makes me more introverted and more sensitive than most Ne doms would be as I cannot stand crowds due to the sheer amount of emotions flying around plus I am sensitive to outer stuff like nosy places stress me out BTW ive a question to pose of my own :). I was wondeing do you think there is also a ennagram link too?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I relate a lot to the empath stuff up there and I am a ENxP (Not sure on which one). I think it makes me more introverted and more sensitive than most Ne doms would be as I cannot stand crowds due to the sheer amount of emotions flying around plus I am sensitive to outer stuff like nosy places stress me out BTW ive a question to pose of my own :). I was wondeing do you think there is also a ennagram link too?

Interesting question!

Once I check out enneagrams more I'll give that some thought.

Isn't there a healer enneagram .. or is that my bad memory?

---

There's bound to be a way in which types interact with these internal or external behaviours that can be at least theorised.

Also, what are your thoughts on mental health and intuitive empaths?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Ask yourself:

I read several of Orloff's books. I found them to be very helpful in separating my own emotions from those of others and learning better how to deal with unregulated people expressing strong emotions.

I do believe that Fe users are usually on the empath scale, to some degree, but that must be developed.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream

Ask yourself:

...What's her MD? I'm skeptical. Anyway, I read a lot of this kind of junk when I was younger and trying to explain why I have these traits. Actually looking into ways that one can be neurodiverse is far more useful than these sort of mumbo jumbo self-help pop psych things, because they often come bundled with other issues, including past history of abuse, neurodiversity, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, social anxiety, sensory integration disorder, avoidance, good god there's such a long list of things that basically could better give insight about potential problems as opposed to just one label with overly general "strategies" which anybody with common sense would have come up with by themselves if they sat down to think about it for five minutes.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting question!

Once I check out enneagrams more I'll give that some thought.

Isn't there a healer enneagram .. or is that my bad memory?

---

There's bound to be a way in which types interact with these internal or external behaviours that can be at least theorised.

Also, what are your thoughts on mental health and intuitive empaths?

Hmmmm not officially as such but if I had to assign a healer type id say probably 9 or 2 as 9s heal in a peaceful way and 2s in a helpful way.but I think all types can heal in their own way. Ennagram is a cool system and I think you'd enjoy it :). I personally think that emapths may be more likely to have mental health problems as it leads to a certain outlook and behavioral pattern that some would label mentally ill such as avoiding social situations and crowds plus all that emotional overload can lead to stress and anxiety.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think that I am an empath.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I read several of Orloff's books. I found them to be very helpful in separating my own emotions from those of others and learning better how to deal with unregulated people expressing strong emotions.

I do believe that Fe users are usually on the empath scale, to some degree, but that must be developed.

I've had a situation like that recently (finding 'my' emotions were others)

I used to be quite toxic :cry: but now no longer am :).

Aaaand for the last year I've been feeling uncomfortable with some friends (a couple) it turns out my friend is uncomfortable with me and hasn't forgiven me for having hurt her and she was telling her partner I was then feeling the vibe - talked to her and yep it's actually her and her partner wanting to protect her and maybe judging me for all the things she thinks I'm doing now which I'm not anymore.

Anyhow never realised just how powerful this can be aaand this book has allowed me to identify it quicky and harmlessly.

Relly useful!

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmmmm not officially as such but if I had to assign a healer type id say probably 9 or 2 as 9s heal in a peaceful way and 2s in a helpful way.but I think all types can heal in their own way. Ennagram is a cool system and I think you'd enjoy it :). I personally think that emapths may be more likely to have mental health problems as it leads to a certain outlook and behavioral pattern that some would label mentally ill such as avoiding social situations and crowds plus all that emotional overload can lead to stress and anxiety.

Yeah, those were my thoughts too . Particularly Intuitive empaths are seen as 'crazy' how could you communicate with animals or sense things happening in the earth.

But, people live how they live and feel how they feel, period.

It's really important to validate it with the external world though and make sure they're not just dilusions.

There are various tribal healers who see mental health as just communication with spirits etc. It's just another way of seeing it. Science can only explain the surface of it or the nitty gritty of the brain but not the experience and here is where the actual people come in.

It's a shame there isn't a place as such in society for these types of 'healers' or 'insighful beings' such as the Heyokas of the Lakota people.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
NF natural empathy as well Si-Fe or Fe-Si. :)

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFP, and while I have been told by others that this is me, I truly believe I am average in this respect.

DarkMin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w1
There's a time when I wouldn't have considered myself an "empath". But given that perception is - by its very nature - subjective, individual experience is consequently not likely to result in a fair self-assessment. Eg, we take our everyday experience to be the norm and measure everything else by those standards. If we fail to open our minds to the possibility of empathy, then even if we are empaths, we will assume that our experience is common currency.

That was true of me. However, as time has passed, and by informed (rather than, to be fair, scientific, or even educated) comparison, I've become aware that actually, my emotional experience differs from that of others, and that I feel another person's emotional narrative on a far deeper level than, in most circumstances, they feel mine. I'd still hesitate to describe myself as an "empath" in the way that my imagination visualises an empath, but then, perhaps any latent abilities I have set the bar rather high?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
...What's her MD? I'm skeptical. Anyway, I read a lot of this kind of junk when I was younger and trying to explain why I have these traits. Actually looking into ways that one can be neurodiverse is far more useful than these sort of mumbo jumbo self-help pop psych things, because they often come bundled with other issues, including past history of abuse, neurodiversity, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, social anxiety, sensory integration disorder, avoidance, good god there's such a long list of things that basically could better give insight about potential problems as opposed to just one label with overly general "strategies" which anybody with common sense would have come up with by themselves if they sat down to think about it for five minutes.

Her MD is psychiatry.

I think what you say in your post is a little harsh. People genuinely suffer being an empath with no tools and she's helping with learning these. As an empath it's not always easy to say ' uh yeah I feel other's emotions' it seems too wacky and unscientific. But it can happen. And I think these people should be respected as they don't necessarily believe what's happening internally and when they discover these methods feel so much better. Also, they are real methods of healing that anyone can benefit from: earthing, meditation practices, etc.

This harshness is why a lot of empaths hide away and never share their experience.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
There's a time when I wouldn't have considered myself an "empath". But given that perception is - by its very nature - subjective, individual experience is consequently not likely to result in a fair self-assessment. Eg, we take our everyday experience to be the norm and measure everything else by those standards. If we fail to open our minds to the possibility of empathy, then even if we are empaths, we will assume that our experience is common currency.

That was true of me. However, as time has passed, and by informed (rather than, to be fair, scientific, or even educated) comparison, I've become aware that actually, my emotional experience differs from that of others, and that I feel another person's emotional narrative on a far deeper level than, in most circumstances, they feel mine. I'd still hesitate to describe myself as an "empath" in the way that my imagination visualises an empath, but then, perhaps any latent abilities I have set the bar rather high?

There are various 'degrees' of being an empath.

Also, I've done the same thing, as in expected other to feel my inner reality as deeply, but nah uh not the case.

Sometimes it is useful to define 'behaviours' etc as they allow you to develop within that 'certain' knowledge if needed.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Her MD is psychiatry.

I think what you say in your post is a little harsh. People genuinely suffer being an empath with no tools and she's helping with learning these. As an empath it's not always easy to say ' uh yeah I feel other's emotions' it seems too wacky and unscientific. But it can happen. And I think these people should be respected as they don't necessarily believe what's happening internally and when they discover these methods feel so much better. Also, they are real methods of healing that anyone can benefit from: earthing, meditation practices, etc.

This harshness is why a lot of empaths hide away and never share their experience.

...Educate yourself. I'm vacating this thread because I know whatever you say will be completely useless to me from this post on.