• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are philosophers so curious about god?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't really care whether there's a God or not.
I'm more interested in how people work.

Philosophers interest me.
People who try to prove one way or another whether there's a God.

I understand religious people -- I get why people would want, or want not for there to be a god.

I just don't understand why those who are unbiased care.
A lot of philosophers play ring around the rosie with this issue...

Why the fuck do you care*?
What does it matter?
Why do people spend hours discussing proofs, or whether He created...

I don't get the point of theology outside of penitence and piety.
Explain yourselves.

*Partially mocking, but genuinely curious.
Also if a mod has a better title, go ahead and change it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Maybe because the idea interests some people and not others?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fucking... obviously it interests them.
My question is to ask why it interests them.

What is the curiosity?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Very (very) generally speaking, Theology offers the individual the opportunity to connect with an ideal that transcends the limitations of mortality.

Religions help to assuage the burden of death, while easing the anxieties of daily life.

Death is frightening and bedrocked on uncertainty - both in how one will die, and what happens after. Religion offers an answer.

Most also offer profound opportunity for personal growth.
Typically, a divine manuscript/mysterious holy figure(s)/creation narrative inspires a system of behavior designed to instill idealized qualities (usually benefiting humankind as a communal unit), while protecting the religious institution. A code of behavior engineered to ensure personal well-being while (with some religions) offering an idyllic reward in the afterlife is often prescribed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why? What is the curiousity?

Ouch.

I guess that's a lesson not to horse around with another Ti sort.

I think probably the intellectuals don't want to make a personal commitment because of their intellectual doubts... yet the question still is one of the largest of all human existence, so they end up wanting to tackle it, just like a scientist might be compelled to attempt a Theory of Everything.

But what do I know?
Just go read Night's post again.

:hi:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Let's not derail the thread.
Go make your own.

The desire to understand is the reason. You can't escape the commonality between all desires to understand. Your interests are not their, and theirs are not yours, but you are no different in nature.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
The desire to understand is the reason.
Jesus... Orangy already covered that. Why do they choose religion to study? Why not psychology like me?
You can't escape the commonality between all desires to understand.
I'm not trying to.

Your interests are not their, and theirs are not yours, but you are no different in nature.
Thank you for pointing out what I've already ascertained. Obviously their interests are different from mine in nature.

I want an explanation of the nature of the interest.
It's a simple question, not really worthy of the sarcastic ridicule you have to offer.

That's why I told you to go away.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ouch.

I guess that's a lesson not to horse around with another Ti sort.

I think probably the intellectuals don't want to make a personal commitment because of their intellectual doubts... yet the question still is one of the largest of all human existence, so they end up wanting to tackle it, just like a scientist might be compelled to attempt a Theory of Everything.

But what do I know?
Prestige seems a plausible reason.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Fucking... obviously it interests them.
My question is to ask why it interests them.

What is the curiosity?

Why does anybody care if something is true or not? It is an important question because the history of Western civilization is suffused with ideas of 'God', for good and for ill, and it still affects us whether we choose to believe in 'it' or not. And to actually find the answer, which I assume people who care about the topic still believe is possible, would have huge social and ideological consequences.

But also, I think that it has an intrinsic interest value.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Jesus... Orangy already covered that. Why do they choose religion to study? Why not psychology like me?

But why do you study psychology... why functions? If you cannot answer it for yourself, how do you expect to understand it for others?

If you study psychology, you should have a good grasp of why people reach for understanding.

Thank you for pointing out what I've already ascertained. Obviously their interests are different from mine in nature.

I said they are not different in nature. The same reasons you have picked an interest, which even you cannot understand what triggered it, is the same reasons why they chose something.

That's pretty basic psychology. All fixations of interest are internally motivated using the same mechanisms.

I took psychology as a coping mechanism to deal with people... how about you?

It's a simple question, not really worthy of the sarcastic ridicule you have to offer.

That's why I told you to go away.

You are choosing to ridicule religion because you believe it to be different. I'm stating that it isn't different. They have their need to understand, and you have yours.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:popc1:

"Now Starring: EMTPzilla vs King ISTP"

Classic type matchups. Woo hoo.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
But why do you study psychology... why functions?
You don't need to explain yourself -- I knew what you were getting at from the beginning. With that post you made it very apparent that you either would not, or could not help.

I told you to go away the way I did because if you're that interested in one-upping me, I want you to feel free, but this thread is not the place.

Go make your own thread if you think I'm being hypocritical.

Edit: I'm not choosing to ridicule religion. Read more carefully please.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nocapszyzsyszy, are you asking why objective people --

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
:popc1:

"Now Starring: EMTPzilla vs King ISTP"

Classic type matchups. Woo hoo.

Not anymore. He will, of course being the bigger man, be more mature about it and let the adolescent win.

Careful PT -- I might be trolling to get you to say something.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Grr... it's obvious.

Why are people curious about God? Why do they want to know.

There's a reason. Night postulated a few ideas, Jennifer gave one...

Maybe you should just lock it.
It's not a hard question to answer at all. I just want other answers than the ones I've come up with.

But it must be a harder question than I thought.
Otherwise I'm insulting people.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Grr... it's obvious.

Why are people curious about God? Why do they want to know.

There's a reason. Night postulated a few ideas, Jennifer gave one...

Maybe you should just lock it.
It's not a hard question to answer at all. I just want other answers than the ones I've come up with.

But it must be a harder question than I thought.
Otherwise I'm insulting people.

Okay.

(1) Material payoff. Important implication for how to live better or longer, if you accept some assumptions about god and a plan for humanity, e.g., the afterlife. And why do people want to live better and/or longer? Time and genetics have programmed us that way. That's what we are. (What Night said.)
(2) Conceptually complicated. Some people gravitate towards that stuff whether it's god or politics or psychology. It's fun to map out and diagram. It can lead to a certain biological "release," too.
(3) Custom. Some people are raised in environments where philosophy is held in high regard. They may not question why they do it, they just do it.
(4) Group conflict. Defending your religion against attack is a way or pledging your allegiance to your group and competing with other groups. These patterns are also implanted in our genetic code.

I dunno. Probably more. I'm fixing your shitty thread title at no charge.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I told you to go away the way I did because if you're that interested in one-upping me, I want you to feel free, but this thread is not the place.
You do me great injustice. I only care to help you in your studies.

All I'm trying to get across is that you have placed religion in its own group, as if it is somehow different than other interests. It really isn't.

People are into religion because it is "the big question" their mind needs to wrestle with. Where you look at the world and see behavior and want to understand it, others look at the world and try to understand it. There may be some tendencies for religion to look at it through a more "what is the meaning" stance, it is often the same attitude as you do find in the hard sciences.

Why do people look for god? It is the universal framework in which to understand the world. It gives answers to the meaning of life, something nearly everyone struggles with. It gives you a code of behaviour, something we all need to learn. It provides answers, and security... it does just about everything.

That's why the majority of people look to god/religion to help them understand their world. It's the single thing that can help them understand everything that cannot be explained otherwise, give them what cannot be achieved otherwise.

I mean, what answer *are* you looking for?

Evolutionary reasons? Social norms? Biological influences? Personality preferences? Philosophy? Lazy thinking? Do you want to hear about group unity, filler for the need to understand, maybe about the preference for some to take on a problem just so their mind doesn't rest idle? Or others, that do the opposite, and attempt to fixate and resolve to remain idle?

There is no one answer. That's why the general answer is always going to be - to understand, to bring meaning. Once you come to grips with why we are all driven to understand the world, it answers almost all variations on why people embrace God and religion. It may not be an acceptable answer for your need to understand, but you've almost certainly replaced it something. The mind hates having a vaccum.

Edit: I'm not choosing to ridicule religion. Read more carefully please.
Sorry - not ridicule, mock.
Careful PT -- I might be trolling to get you to say something.
Pshhh. I'll help you despite your prickly attitude. I always give people the benefit of the doubt, so I figure you really are genuinely interested in understanding.