• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

philosophy and spiritual fiction

Lark

Are there any great works of philosophically or spiritually themed fiction that anyone would like to recommend?

I have read lots of different ones and arguably books can have aspects of either without it being the focus of the book.

The Lord of Light is one that stands out for me, really stands out, it could be a commentary on the exploitation of religions in greater games or conflicts, using the idea of this happening off world on another planet upon which human beings have been introduced as a sort of terraforming effort by mutated meta-humans posing as gods from different world religions but in actuality being like humans but having overcome mortality, living indefinitely and resurrecting from any death by transfer of consciousness between bodies. Some of it is a bit confusing, like there are parts of it I found it was possible to skip two or three pages, when the author is developing tie ins to world religions or references but which doesnt move the plot much.

The champion is a fan of "accelerationism" (I think that is what its called), its nothing like the alt right perversion of that word into a horrific Malthusian idea but instead is about accelerating evolution among the human population to the stage of becoming mutated immortals like the overlords, some of the overlords are taken with the idea of being gods and dont want to give that up so either are prepared to wait out the evolutionary process (its eons in any case) or sabotage it and set it back however they can.

The Divine Invasion is an odd little book by PKD, which I really love, and in a kind of way I would consider canon among my own spiritual books, along with Dante's Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained and The Confessions of a Justified Sinner, the Divine Invasion deals with God's literal return from an exile in Mars, its got some incredible imaginative depiction of God as "thinking" like his favourite creation, humankind, but also having experienced a splitting of his personality at the time of the crucifixion, this is amazing to read and PKD does a good job of describing how the death on the cross caused this and disrupted the whole of creation, he actually describes how for a brief moment God stops "thinking" and the whole of reality momentarily disappears from existence!

Christ has been reborn and is smuggled into Earth as the whole of Earthly reality is controlled by Satan, depicted as a sort of infernal Goat, this depiction is right up there with the exorcist for the scariest depictions of anti-christ or dark forces I've seen. I wont ruin how it finishes but there is a supernatural and mystical dimension to it but also a psychological aspect too, if that makes sense, but its also a great work of hope and happiness too.

Those are the two that stand out to me right now, anyone else recommend any classic or recent publishing on the same theme?