User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I know three people who are paralyzingly afraid of death. I don't know the actual reason but I suspect it's a combination of things. They also tend to be people that jump from religion to religion. When one doesn't give answers, they look to another. Being that obsessed with death mean they never actually live their life so in a sense, they're already dead.
    What kind of religions are they considering? Just curios of what kind of answers they are looking for.

Parody Parrot
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I've had my fair share of anxiety. Don't know if it all ultimately boils down to death anxiety.
    Anyway, the only comforting thought in regards to actual death anxiety imho is "Panta Rhei" (="Everything flows", "nothing is eternal" sort of thing).
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W8

I have always had a fear of death from a young age but more from an existential stand point, I'm not afraid of the experience of dying but rather the possibility of no longer existing. To just stop being all together is terrifying to me ( as is waking up and being in a small metal box). Listening to lots of Ran das, Wayne Dyer has assisted with this recently. I also like the thought that we are all star dust.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

The meaning of it weighs pretty heavily. So much of human anxiety can be traced back to death aversion, however abstract the path is. For that reason, it makes sense to me that a great fear of it would prime one more strongly for a very wide range of self-preservational behaviors, which becomes problematic if these behaviors are at the expense of greater things. A change in one's perspective on death could then initiate a multitude of chain reactions across one's character.

Definitely something worth trying. I think I'll move it way up in my goals.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    What kind of religions are they considering? Just curios of what kind of answers they are looking for.
    They all started with Christianity - one as a Protestant, two as Roman Catholic. One moved to Greek Orthodox, two to Islam. Eventually they all looked to eastern religions like Jainism, Taoism, they all hated the idea of Sikhism (not sure why). At this point, two follow Buddhism, one follows Confucianism. I'm not surprised as these religions offer less in the way of a spiritual death. Reincarnation, eternity, karma.. you never really die.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

The cloud does not fear becoming rain.
    As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    They all started with Christianity - one as a Protestant, two as Roman Catholic. One moved to Greek Orthodox, two to Islam. Eventually they all looked to eastern religions like Jainism, Taoism, they all hated the idea of Sikhism (not sure why). At this point, two follow Buddhism, one follows Confucianism. I'm not surprised as these religions offer less in the way of a spiritual death. Reincarnation, eternity, karma.. you never really die.
    Hmm. I for one find it rather soothing with having an ultimate end. After all if it ends, at least it wont be bad.
    A more positive way of seeing it could be: Regardless of failures and misery we all get tranquility in the end.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I actually think I would be somewhat relieved if I thought that I could succumb to death. As it is, I think, and have no choice but to think, that my awareness will continue on in some form forever. That's scary, because it means that, unless we cure human mortality soon, I might very well continue to be aware of something while my body lies in decay. It seems unlikely that it would be pleasant, although I can't really know. (I expect that at some future time, all of the dead, including my own temporarily dead self, will be resurrected in some way by technology. Hopefully there isn't an unpleasant interim between then and my probable[?] corpsification.)

I do feel the clock ticking. While I won't come to a final end, I will run out of time for those things that I want to accomplish in life. My funeral is a fast approaching deadline, and thinking about it stresses me out. That doesn't keep me from wasting hours upon hours, though. . .
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Physical death doesn't worry me because I believe in eternal life with God with whom I have peace.

The night before Jesus died, he gave his peace to his disciples, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you, let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

What happens after death is more important than what happens during life.
    PHOENIX
    “But the worst enemy you can meet will always be yourself. ... You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame: how could you become new, if you had not first become ashes?” ― Friedrich Nietzsche