MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default Is atheism a genetic oddity?

Atheists are more likely to be left handed, study finds

Left-handed people are more likely to be atheists, a study has found, as it says belief is passed on genetically.

But modern science means many people who would not previously have survived are making it to adulthood and reproducing - leading to a greater incidence of atheism.

It found that there was a "weak but significant" association between left-handedness and being non-religious, and a stronger one between autism and being non-religious.
    Interesting theory. Anyone have any thoughts, feelings, or ideas on this.....
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si

My dad and I are both left handed and pretty much agnostic, while my mom is more religious and she is right handed. I don't think it really has much to do with that though. My dad and I are both very analytical and rely strongly on our subjective logic, and while my mom is analytical as well when it comes to her work (she's a very serious and respected scholar in her field), she does in her personal life what she enjoys, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I think more people should be like that. I don't want atheists to take this personally when it's not meant to be, I know people are atheist for a variety of reasons, just like people are religious or agnostic for a variety of reasons, but I think one big reason is fear and the need to know and be in control (same goes for religious people to a large degree). Well, we don't know. There is so much we don't know and it is okay to acknowledge that.
    Life is a work of art.

Lefty here. Agnostic. It proves all that sinister crap you righties laid down on us throughout the ages? Ever look up the terms for lefties in various languages? The vast majority are not compliments but descriptions of how devilish we are. Hmmm.
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

What about people who change beliefs?

johari
    nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    What about people who change beliefs?
    Must be ambidextrous.
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”

To anyone who is interested, here is the study metioned in the article:

The Mutant Says in His Heart, “There Is No God”: the Rejection of Collective Religiosity Centred Around the Worship of Moral Gods Is Associated with High Mutational Load | SpringerLink

Abstract: Industrialisation leads to relaxed selection and thus the accumulation of fitness-damaging genetic mutations. We argue that religion is a selected trait that would be highly sensitive to mutational load. We further argue that a specific form of religiousness was selected for in complex societies up until industrialisation based around the collective worship of moral gods. With the relaxation of selection, we predict the degeneration of this form of religion and diverse deviations from it. These deviations, however, would correlate with the same indicators because they would all be underpinned by mutational load. We test this hypothesis using two very different deviations: atheism and paranormal belief. We examine associations between these deviations and four indicators of mutational load: (1) poor general health, (2) autism, (3) fluctuating asymmetry, and (4) left-handedness. A systematic literature review combined with primary research on handedness demonstrates that atheism and/or paranormal belief is associated with all of these indicators of high mutational load.
    The study doesn't seem neutral, at least based upon the choice of language they use. Not sure. Serious scientific site though.
    Likes that's not my name, biohazard liked this post

MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    To anyone who is interested, here is the study metioned in the article:

The Mutant Says in His Heart, “There Is No God”: the Rejection of Collective Religiosity Centred Around the Worship of Moral Gods Is Associated with High Mutational Load | SpringerLink

The study doesn't seem neutral, at least based upon the choice of language they use. Not sure. Serious scientific site though.
    It seems logical though, that those who are deemed abnormal are more likely to question societal norms.
    Life is a work of art.
    Likes Andy liked this post

We are all and each becoming from the moment we are born to the moment we die.

And whatever we worship we become.

In the West as we individuate large.numbers are turning from mass religions to personal worship.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by that's not my name View Post
    It seems logical though, that those who are deemed abnormal are more likely to question societal norms.
    Of course they are deemed abnormal because they question social norms. Thats' what it means to be "abnormal" is to question or reject social norms.

I think what they are saying is that conformity to collective, organized religion and social norms in pre-industrilized society was more likely to cause survival of those individuals who adhered to said religion and norms, given that so many factors could cause death, those people who had collectivist morals had more of chance to survive because this was a pragmatic approach. I'm just saying I question the way in which the article was written as lacking neutrality, not so much the conclusions they draw.

For example, they seem to be saying that "genetic mutants" are somehow defective or something, furthermore this has to do with pre-industrialized society so I don't know how these value judgements could apply today.

Traditional religious beliefs are less necessary to the survival of individuals in our society, this isn't good or bad, it simply is. They were more necessary in older societies, again, this is just how it was. We can draw value judgements about this, but then it ceases to be science.

MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Of course they are deemed abnormal because they question social norms. Thats' what it means to be "abnormal" is to question or reject social norms.
    That's not what I said or meant. I said that people who are deemed abnormal for whatever reason and find themselves on the outside are more likely to question societal norms as a result.

I think what they are saying is that conformity to collective, organized religion and social norms in pre-industrilized society was more likely to cause survival of those individuals who adhered to said religion and norms, given that so many factors could cause death, those people who had collectivist morals had more of chance to survive because this was a pragmatic approach.
    More or less agree.
    I'm just saying I question the way in which the article was written as lacking neutrality, not so much the conclusions they draw.
    I never said anything about that, nor did I imply anything about it.

For example, they seem to be saying that "genetic mutants" are somehow defective or something, furthermore this has to do with pre-industrialized society so I don't know how these value judgements could apply today.
    Ok. Different doesn't mean defective, but ok.
    Traditional religious beliefs are less necessary to the survival of individuals in our society, this isn't good or bad, it simply is.
    More or less agree
    They were more necessary in older societies, again, this is just how it was.
    Don't know if I agree
    We can draw value judgements about this, but then it ceases to be science.
    My comment was never about the science of the study.
    Life is a work of art.
    Likes Terralynn liked this post