• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is atheism a genetic oddity?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let me get this right from your point of view... God created people with aberrant genetics that make them not believe in him? Oh the implications, he truly works in mysterious ways.

I have a mutant husband and two children. None of them are atheists or autistic.
How bizarre!

Seriously that’s cool because the percentages are pretty low for having left hand dominant children even for two lefty parents. Having two is even lower. I thank you for continuing to promote lefty mutations within the human race.

Lark

Let me get this right from your point of view... God created people with aberrant genetics that make them not believe in him? Oh the implications, he truly works in mysterious ways.

To be honest I think you should just work on the basis that there's certain posters on this forum who believe in the literal truth of what they've read in the fluff and gamebooks of 40K and they've bee searching for sources which will confirm this ever since. :newwink:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
...I like to switch my hands every now and then.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really have always assumed that beliefs are a product of our environment to some extent. I cat really fathom them being genetic. Granted, this doesn't mean that they are not genetic. I just can't comprehend it.

I do have a friend who is both left-handed and an atheist. But I also have friends on the autism spectrum who are religious. There are also plenty of right-handed atheists.
Genetics is a confusing field.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Given the number of atheists in certain parts of world, this can't possibly be more than a minor affect. I read that in the UK, the number of atheists passed 50% for the first time. Certainly, amongst the young, the figures are very high. I don't think the percentage of left handed or autistic individuals has reached the same levels.

Lark

Given the number of atheists in certain parts of world, this can't possibly be more than a minor affect. I read that in the UK, the number of atheists passed 50% for the first time. Certainly, amongst the young, the figures are very high. I don't think the percentage of left handed or autistic individuals has reached the same levels.

Yeah, I heard the same, its something the government is scrutinising because they had always hoped that private charities and churches could completely replace the welfare state in time, its what all of Cameron's ramblings about a "big society" where about, and the thing about a census indicating a greater number of atheists or humanists or any other sort of secularists is that it could well be an indication that there will be less money circulating informally, less people relating to one another routinely with a structured calender of events and a upsurge in loneliness that sports or some other sort of clubs or societies wont be sufficient to provide.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
So left handedness is a genetic oddity? How sinister... On the other hand... to deny the philosophical possibility seems a bit strong armed, so do the ambidextrous run the air conditioning with the windows open? I'm not certain the two things are related... But what is life without a little mystery...

So left handedness is a genetic oddity? How sinister... On the other hand... to deny the philosophical possibility seems a bit strong armed, so do the ambidextrous run the air conditioning with the windows open? I'm not certain the two things are related... But what is life without a little mystery...
Oh clever sir! Very clever.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lots of connections in this thread being made between left-handedness and the left-hand path. :laugh:

It seems logical though, that those who are deemed abnormal are more likely to question societal norms.

It could be as simple as that: Left-handedness leads to questioning what is "normal." So, in a theistic society left-handedness leads to atheism, whereas in an atheistic society left-handedness leads to theism.

I don't think it necessarily travels in one direction (atheism).

EDT: my daughter is left-handed. :)

NFPlVCP.jpg

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
"By contrast, atheists and believers in the paranormal would, disproportionately, never have reached adulthood or never have been born, because these beliefs, though very different, are partly an expression of the breakdown of selection and thus of rising mutational load," the study says.

Or because religious people would have killed them?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am right handed and religious...

but my grandfather is left handed and religious...

I feel this is a weird correlation to make, and we should remember correlation is not equal to causation.