User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI None

Default What's the difference between living and being alive?

What's the difference between living and being alive?

Personally I think its a question of how closely your existence reflects your essence, which I'd wager for most people is not exactly that much, if they've ever thought about it never mind anything else.
    Likes Typh0n, biohazard, Peter Deadpan liked this post

"Being". That seems to be the main difference, not sure there is one beyond that but that's already big enough.
    Likes Lark liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I see "being alive" as just allowing things to be as they are. The person is just allowing themselves to experience, perhaps they go through moments of apathy. You are outside of it and do not participate.

I see "living" as actually experiencing. Relishing within the moment, accepting or changing it.... finding meaning or reflection. What have you. You are within it.. and actively participating.
    Likes lightsun liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post
    I see "being alive" as just allowing things to be as they are. The person is just allowing themselves to experience, perhaps they go through moments of apathy. You are outside of it and do not participate.

I see "living" as actually experiencing. Relishing within the moment, accepting or changing it.... finding meaning or reflection. What have you. You are within it.. and actively participating.
    I had understood the OP had meant it the other way around...like "being alive" was superior to "living"...kinda like "living" would be superior to "surviving". I guess I was off.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    "Being". That seems to be the main difference, not sure there is one beyond that but that's already big enough.
    What sources have you considered on that point?

Is it "being" in a stoical sense, ie a form of quietism, or is life "training for an afterlife" or prelude to an afterlife or do you mean in a sense of prefiguring something, whether its an afterlife or final stage/end of history/end stage as posited by monotheism or secular equivalents like marxism, just substitute revolution for messiah, return of the prophet, return of Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by biohazard View Post

I think this makes sense, its very similar to Bertrand Russell's conclusions in The Conquest of Happiness, which is one of a few books which I think are genuinely wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    What sources have you considered on that point?

Is it "being" in a stoical sense, ie a form of quietism, or is life "training for an afterlife" or prelude to an afterlife or do you mean in a sense of prefiguring something, whether its an afterlife or final stage/end of history/end stage as posited by monotheism or secular equivalents like marxism, just substitute revolution for messiah, return of the prophet, return of Jesus.
    "Being" in an ontological sense, out of the examples you cite probably training for an afterlife of sorts. I could also existensialism, though I don't think that really does it justice, since for example Sarte, though I've only read excerpts, was mainly focused on man in his social context, in relation to what we choose to be and how we are shaped by our choices...I see being more as something metaphysical, so I am more in the tradition of Plato, Plotinus and the Hermetics.
    Likes lightsun liked this post

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    6w7 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

living is basically you are just there going with the motions. Alive is actually enjoying life to the fullest and what it has to offer
    Do as you please we are as gods

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Living; Existing. Doing what needs to be done.
    Being alive; Living life to the fullest. Taking opportunities as they come. Being aware of yourself, other people, and your surroundings.
    Likes jamain liked this post