• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you believe love is the answer to all of the worlds problems?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
For those who think love is the answer and the only answer we evidently have problems in this country. Agape love has to be balanced with
Reason. This is a taught skill. There's no two ways about it. Think of mental discipline as akin to the martial arts. Our brain is a muscle that must be taught how to use critical reasoning.
It is a learned discipline. It is not innate.

Those that don't embrace changes with the introduction of cognitive discipline and empathy skills being presented to our young are resistant to change. They don't know that if the changes were developed it would become the norm and we would have a healthier society mental health wise as well as happier. We can not rely on our own opinion for we are blinded by blind spots. We don't have a 3D greater picture of society. What I ask you can we do to evolve as a society? Remain with the status quo? Each generation contributes to these alarming statistics with us blindly as ostriches having our head in the sand not prepared to make real changes.

It starts with children and education. The main problem with education is it forces regurgitation and rote memorization. It does not exist to teach critical thinking skills and how to independently think. If we as a society could think without the use of distortions in the thought process
I would see it apparent in society at large. I see in the media and on Facebook the use of cognitive distortions in thought, speech and writing.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Love is corrupted by emotional reasoning, rationalizations and denial among other cognitive discrepancies. All manner of evil has been done in the name of love and good intentions. Also bullying is a clear problem. It is evident there are many dysfunctional families that blithely go on their way due to blind spots and rationalization. If one is not taught critical thinking skills then we rely on rote memorization but it is not ingrained in us. As for spending money on education it is taking proactive steps so that citizens can govern themselves with reason and compassion. It will raise a more well adjusted and happier society.

"The aim of education should be to teach us rather how to think, than what to think-Rather to improve our minds, so as to enable us to think for ourselves, than to lead the memory with thoughts of other men." Bill Beatle

“The tax which will be paid for the purpose of education is not more than the thousandth part of what will be paid to kings, priests and nobles who will rise up among us if we leave the people in ignorance” Thomas Jefferson

“The only purpose of education is to teach a student how to live his life-by developing his mind and equipping him to deal with reality. The training he needs is theoretical, i.e., conceptual. He has to be taught to think, to understand, to integrate, to prove.
He has to be taught the essentials of the knowledge discovered in the past-and he has to be equipped to acquire further knowledge by his own effort.” Ayn Rand

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unfortunately I don't think love is the solution to the world's problems simply because there are many people who reject love in various ways.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with you Lightsun, love needs to be balanced with critical thinking skills and methods of reasoning.

What we are taught in school is basically repetition, repetition is fine unto a point, and up to a certain age, like learning to read, write, do math etc. But at some point you have to get people to use all of this stuff the memorized in a critical fashion. Of course, I am not a fan of compulsory education, but in higher education for example my point still stands.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do think love is super important to our world. However, I don't think it is capable of solving all problems. I just don't think that sounds very realistic. However, more love certainly would do some good for humanity. The feeling of love in and of itself, is not an action. I think you need to ultimately have actions to solve problems. Some actions can come from love. But it's those actions that help solve problems primarily, not the underlying feeling itself.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think an open mind towards others cultures and beliefs would go a long way to helping the world. So much strife in the world finds it's roots in fear of that which is different. One doesn't have to adopt other customs and beliefs in order to respect them. Xenophobia serves no one. Acceptance in spite of differences could begin the healing of many hurts in the world. And without acceptance there cannot be love.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No. You can love killing people, but that won't solve much problems.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
'The importance of balance between the heart and the mind'

Good friends i at certain instances have run into people that feel love is an answer and that if we can reach the state of pure love this world will change. Love is of absolute certitude as well a component to actualize. I call the love mix with reason shall eventually lead toward wisdom and truer free soul. “My own thought on love and reason here is as thus, I believe in a duality. I can see how love can be perceived to solve all the world’s problems. How we should love one another and give of our hearts. We are interrelated but also a self-serving species. Wisdom has to come into the fray.

Wisdom and the very mighty reasoning that lies within our brains have to come into the fray to achieve this mighty balance of truth upon a path of wisdom and ultimate peace in ourselves and the world. Without a balance therein lays chaos. Absolute, and much needed skills of reasoning must need be taught. There is a need for critical thinking to be taught with a minimum of distortions of thought. Hence my penchant for an educational system being given far more priority as well learning and teaching in a new paradigm change of how we are taught as children.

One must absolutely be able of a persuasion to think independently as well in a creative fashion. It's a problem. I possess an analogy, we have the seed within to fully evolve if not distorted and be unduly pressured in a way of thinking that is not natural for the individual. It is such a belief I do have that parents are custodians, not tyrants and impose their reality unto a child. Now an outside the box thinking thought I possess. We are like some computer software; we are only able to have a thinking capacity of the data entered into our self. We can't easily have a capacity to think outside our box, and then we'd be out our reality. This is conjecture from my own view as well standpoint.

Indoctrination into dogma comes from multiple sources. Dogma conceivably can occur in a family's system of beliefs as well mores. It also comes from another from another direction like patriotism and religious beliefs, all of this before the person possesses or can be taught critical thinking. What actually does this mean? It is up to us to walk a path may it be a fine one and follows the teachings without losing his or her mind. We need to critically think and use the teachings in the spirit they were intended for its The Path of Love.

Reason needs to be in the mix, for without it we truly do not understand what is taught. We can corrupt it for our own use. The critical teachings used fables to teach lessons. They are not in fact truth but only a lesson to think upon. We cannot use or corrupt, what is described to use in as a discriminatory sense when we are teaching people. Another factor is the person has been taken hold of a worldly illusion which sustains their esteem. I like asking questions, see all of our most responses i can relate to. Really it’s a jig saw puzzle, more reason utilized, a larger mixture in truth resides.

Yes with unreason, this is saying loss of control as in being loud, argumentative, and not utilizing listening skills, a fear has triggered an ego (which in the ultimate sense is of illusionary qualities).
As far as educating a self, i have been relieved i had education and learned so very many things in classroom as well keeping an open mind in life experiences, I’ve learned, grown and hopefully will continue doing so.

For those who think love is the answer and the only answer we evidently have problems in this country. Agape love has to be balanced with Reason. This is a taught skill. There's no two ways about it. Think of mental discipline as akin to the martial arts. Our brain is a muscle that must be taught how to use critical reasoning. It is a learned discipline. It is not innate. Those that don't embrace changes with the introduction of cognitive discipline and empathy skills being presented to our young are resistant to change.

They don't know that if the changes were developed it would become the norm and we would have a healthier society mental health wise as well as happier. We can not rely on our own opinion for we are blinded by blind spots. We don't have a 3D greater picture of society. Love is corrupted by emotional reasoning, rationalizations and denial among other cognitive discrepancies. All manner of evil has been done in the name of love and good intentions. Also bullying is a clear problem.

It is evident there are many dysfunctional families that blithely go on their way due to blind spots and rationalization. If one is not taught critical thinking skills then we rely on rote memorization but it is not ingrained in us. As for spending money on education it is taking proactive steps so that citizens can govern themselves with reason and compassion. It will raise a more well adjusted and happier society. What I ask you can we do to evolve as a society? Remain with the status quo? Each generation contributes to these alarming statistics with us blindly as ostriches having our head in the sand not prepared to make real changes.

It starts with children and education. The main problem with education is it forces regurgitation and rote memorization. It does not exist to teach critical thinking skills and how to independently think.
If we as a society could think without the use of distortions in the thought process I would see it apparent in society at large. I see in the media and on Facebook the use of cognitive distortions in thought, speech and writing.

I've generally said that some religions teach you what to do but not how to practically apply it. There are faith practices who say they believe in this or that but as a human being still are susceptible to blind spots, rationalization, denial and other defense mechanisms. That is a reason I've espoused to learn cognitive mindfulness and empathy in our education system. "Tell me what to do and I shall forget it but let me have hands on experience and incorporate it into my repertoire and it becomes a part of me.

This is lasting and people will finally walk their talk for true wisdom comes from within and cannot be transferred by mere word. That's hearing but not understanding and coming into one's own spiritual seed of development. I've always been a proponent of strengthening Agape compassion with empathy skills training as well strengthening our critical use of reason. One without the other is crippled. Too much evil has been done in the name of love. This is because of blind spots, emotional reasoning, denial and rationalization. I mindful approach to be aware of our sub-conscious thinking and rooting out distortions of thought can help alleviate this.

Nomendei

Elegance of chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don’t think so. And if it would, it would probably be a bit gross.

Here’s my reasoning: there are not the same number of males and females, and the homosexual part of the population isn’t big enough to satisfy everyone. So the only solution I can see would be a worldwide orgy.

Just kidding. Now seriously, I think this question is too vague to be answered. Honestly, I can’t imagine how love would make the world a better place. It’s impossible. The only way I could imagine love solving those problems is by making it the only feeling we would have. But we could not call the resulting species humans anymore. To explain why, I will use a few examples.
World hunger: I often hear people say that if the rich people would donate their money to the poor part of the population, the problem would be solved. That’s not true, and there are many reasons to it. First of all, if you earn your money by doing nothing, would you be motivated to work? I spoke to our guide during our safari in Tanzania and he said something that marked me. For them, we are the rich ones, and they would feel like kings if they had half as much money as we have, and we’re only in the middle-upper class of our country. Some win only a few dollars per day. So imagine what will happen if they earn a thousand Dollar check.

Abattoir/ slaughterhouse: We are 8 billion Humans on this earth, which means 8 billion mouths to feed. And we need protein. If we don’t take our daily doses, we will unfortunately die. And producing enough protein that comes from something else than animals for 8 billion humans will bring even more problems, like for example climate change.

And if I think about it with a philosophical view it only ends in a disaster. If we express and feel only love, and see that whatever we do, we keep destroying our planet, it will be the end of humanity.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with you Lightsun, love needs to be balanced with critical thinking skills and methods of reasoning.

What we are taught in school is basically repetition, repetition is fine unto a point, and up to a certain age, like learning to read, write, do math etc. But at some point you have to get people to use all of this stuff the memorized in a critical fashion. Of course, I am not a fan of compulsory education, but in higher education for example my point still stands.
I agree almost entirely. I do support compulsory education, just would like to see a huge improvement in what is taught and how. Lack of critical thinking, both in education management and in the curriculum itself - is a huge problem.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If by 'love' you mean 'empathy' then I would say it would certainly go a long way to resolve many of the problems we face in the world.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I only believe love is the answer to all the world's problems if we're talking about the perfect love described in the biblical I Corinthians 13. If everyone on earth practiced this kind of love, then we wouldn't need to hone critical thinking skills to protect ourselves from deceit and manipulation since no one would be trying to deceive or manipulate anyone else. However, I don't believe it's possible for the human species to live in that kind of perfect love here on earth.

Trolleynator

MBTI Type
=0)
Depends on what you mean by love. I like how the Greeks divide love into eros, philia, storge, and agape. The first might not so helpful (just look at all the songs Adele's been singing lol), friendship, parental love, and agape definitely, but they're also the most difficult to dish out.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I prefer it is coupled with a healthy dose of rationality and thought.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally, I only believe love is the answer to all the world's problems if we're talking about the perfect love described in the biblical I Corinthians 13. If everyone on earth practiced this kind of love, then we wouldn't need to hone critical thinking skills to protect ourselves from deceit and manipulation since no one would be trying to deceive or manipulate anyone else. However, I don't believe it's possible for the human species to live in that kind of perfect love here on earth.
That is an impossible ideal. At best more humans will come closer to it. We will always need critical thinking skills, however, for many other reasons, not the least of which is uncovering honest human error.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is an impossible ideal. At best more humans will come closer to it. We will always need critical thinking skills, however, for many other reasons, not the least of which is uncovering honest human error.

Did I not just say, "I don't believe it's possible for the human species to live in that kind of perfect love here on earth"? I believe I did.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did I not just say, "I don't believe it's possible for the human species to live in that kind of perfect love here on earth"? I believe I did.
Did I not also point out the need for critical thinking skills, even should such an ideal be reached? I believe I did.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Is a coin still a coin with only one face? Perhaps. But is it still worth anything? Perhaps. But chances are there's a convenience store out there, who wont cash it in.

Lark

Properly understood I would say yes but love isnt well understood, either by its fans or detractors.

Its easily conflated with all kinds of things that it is not, therefore on the personal, interpersonal, social, global (are the other levels I've forgot? I think the point is clear enough) its not the answer because what's being talked about is a misnomer.