• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can a robot be a person?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps the creative emotion behind the art(?). I'm not an artist so I can't really speak on that, but emotion would be my answer to the question of the difference behind genuine and simulated art.

What if robots/androids/AI organisms develop emotions in the distant future? And why is emotion a requisite for the creation of art?

(I'm not trying to be contentious or shoot you down, I'm just trying to get a better grasp of this whole debate and topic)

I find people preaching this or that is ‘impossible’ because apparently they’re experts on the subject quite amusing. We have no clue what is or isn’t possible when it comes to technology. We know what is or isn’t possible with current technology. Take a trip back to 1917 and ask them what they thought will never be possible. Our level of technology isn’t sitting idle, it’s evolving constantly, far faster than ever before in human history. I think of my childhood in the 70’s and 80’s and think of all the advancements that have taken place in just four and a half decades. Now imagine 2117.

What if robots/androids/AI organisms develop emotions in the distant future? And why is emotion a requisite for the creation of art?

(I'm not trying to be contentious or shoot you down, I'm just trying to get a better grasp of this whole debate and topic)

So, what if they do? My point isn't that emotion is the only requisite for personhood. It's a lot deeper than that, I'd think. I used emotion as an example.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find people preaching this or that is ‘impossible’ because apparently they’re experts on the subject quite amusing. We have no clue what is or isn’t possible when it comes to technology. We know what is or isn’t possible with current technology. Take a trip back to 1917 and ask them what they thought will never be possible. Our level of technology isn’t sitting idle, it’s evolving constantly, far faster than ever before in human history. I think of my childhood in the 70’s and 80’s and think of all the advancements that have taken place in just four and a half decades. Now imagine 2117.

This has been my thought when discussing transhumanism and the possibility of advanced AI and hypothetical technologies like warp drive. People might have laughed at Da Vinci for imagining flying machines. No one laughed at the Wright Brothers.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, what if they do? My point isn't that emotion is the only requisite for personhood. It's a lot deeper than that, I'd think. I used emotion as an example.

I'm just trying to get a grasp on why emotion is the requisite for genuine vs simulated art.

I'm just trying to get a grasp on why emotion is the requisite for genuine vs simulated art.

Like I said, I'm not an artist myself, so...yeah.

In my humble opinion, I'd say art is a "tangible representation of human emotion"(?). That's what it seems like to me, anyways. Does music not evoke emotions? Film? Photography? Stuff like that.

There are humans that simulate emotions, too. We call them psychopaths, or introverts. :newwink:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Like I said, I'm not an artist myself, so...yeah.

In my humble opinion, I'd say art is a "tangible representation of human emotion"(?). That's what it seems like to me, anyways. Does music not evoke emotions? Film? Photography? Stuff like that.

There are humans that simulate emotions, too. We call them psychopaths, or introverts. :newwink:

Have you looked at the links I shared earlier regarding philosophical zombies? It's not exactly about robots but I think it's somewhat connected to this topic.

I would agree emotion fuels a lot of art. I'm not sure if it is always the case that art is a representation of emotion.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe we aren't pushing ourselves far enough here, maybe this needs a new angle... can a person become a robot? And if they can and do, can they be used and treated like property. If so, is this already happening? Has it happened to you?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Humanity is a lot more complex than AI could ever dream to be. For instance, can an AI believe in a "God?" Religiosity is as human as art and tribal warfare. That would be difficult to program.
So people who don't believe in God aren't real humans?

The trope about the professional artist hitting a creative wall due to a lack of feeling comes to mind. Writer's Block. Stuff like that. Emotion needs to be involved somehow, doesn't it?
So you see emotion as distinctly human? I have read that (at least) some animals also experience emotion. Does that qualify them for human status?

These are not sensible or workable criteria for humanity.

Maybe we aren't pushing ourselves far enough here, maybe this needs a new angle... can a person become a robot?]/b] And if they can and do, can they be used and treated like property. If so, is this already happening? Has it happened to you?

A worthwhile question. Years ago I had a temp job doing data entry in a mail order company. I sat near the people taking orders over the phone. Their side of the conversations - the side I could hear - was entirely predictable; a pleasant female voice reciting numbers over the phone. I had exactly that impression then, namely that we would sooner turn people into robots than the opposite.

So people who don't believe in God aren't real humans?

This is a foolish question.

So you see emotion as distinctly human? I have read that (at least) some animals also experience emotion. Does that qualify them for human status?

And another one.

These are not sensible or workable criteria for humanity.

Never said that was the only criteria, but from the looks of it being human is hard work for some people just as another poster said on page two.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A worthwhile question. Years ago I had a temp job doing data entry in a mail order company. I sat near the people taking orders over the phone. Their side of the conversations - the side I could hear - was entirely predictable; a pleasant female voice reciting numbers over the phone. I had exactly that impression then, namely that we would sooner turn people into robots than the opposite.

As I wrote that post I thought of very similar scenes in my day to day life. A major theme for modern philosophers is whether technology has made us essentially less human. It's hard not to see some truth in the possibility.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm surprised no one is yet approaching the consciousness angle. Like, how do we even define it? How do we know whether we are truly self-aware? That sort of thing.

Or suppose free will is a determination of personhood. How do we determine human persons are really acting on free will any more than hypothetical robots or "lower" animals?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a foolish question.

And another one.
No more foolish than the ideas being questioned. Accepting them as valid criteria is what would be foolish.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm surprised no one is yet approaching the consciousness angle. Like, how do we even define it? How do we know whether we are truly self-aware? That sort of thing.

Or suppose free will is a determination of personhood. How do we determine human persons are really acting on free will any more than hypothetical robots or "lower" animals?

I immediately referred to it under the phrase self-awareness. The judgement of that property is really a philosophical muck-hole, as you know, with all your zombie reference material. Just throw the Turing test at 'em, call it good. If they admit they're a robot, believe them at face value. /Te

Have you looked at the links I shared earlier regarding philosophical zombies? It's not exactly about robots but I think it's somewhat connected to this topic.

I would agree emotion fuels a lot of art. I'm not sure if it is always the case that art is a representation of emotion.

Not yet. I'll take a look tomorrow. Later bud.

I think we’ll see a future with both cyber enhanced humans and AI robots. Perhaps genetically modified super humans as well. Maybe genetically modified cyber enhanced humans. Man is bound to blur the lines and eventually there will be no purely biological humans left. If we ever wish to truly stand a chance of seriously becoming a spacefaring species it may be necessary given the vast distances involved in space travel. As is even if we could achieve light speed it’s a wholly inadequate mode of travel for a species that expires after seventy or so years. Normal human lifespans are far too short. The human body is ridiculously fragile and really custom built for inhabiting Earth not space or even near Earth planets. I digress.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think the simple answer is: No, they will/can never be human.

Unless robots are able to create art, but even that could be simulated.

Humanity is a lot more complex than AI could ever dream to be. For instance, can an AI believe in a "God?" Religiosity is as human as art and tribal warfare. That would be difficult to program.

Humans Prefer Computer-Generated Paintings to Those at Art Basel

These Are What the Google Artificial Intelligence’s Dreams Look Like | Popular Science

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
The fact that she announced she was going to ‘kill humans’ is kind of concerning. I mean. Just thought I would mention that.

Not that that doesnt mean we shoudlnt give her basic rights- anyone, even a robot deserves basic rights... I would hate to be self aware and well- aware that I was being treated as ‘less than’. Its a really sad feeling to have.

But... just saying... like anyone who would say something like they want to ‘destroy humans’... Id be a bit concerned with her and hope that THAT was being checked out/investigated.