User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    A worthwhile question. Years ago I had a temp job doing data entry in a mail order company. I sat near the people taking orders over the phone. Their side of the conversations - the side I could hear - was entirely predictable; a pleasant female voice reciting numbers over the phone. I had exactly that impression then, namely that we would sooner turn people into robots than the opposite.
    As I wrote that post I thought of very similar scenes in my day to day life. A major theme for modern philosophers is whether technology has made us essentially less human. It's hard not to see some truth in the possibility.

I'm surprised no one is yet approaching the consciousness angle. Like, how do we even define it? How do we know whether we are truly self-aware? That sort of thing.

Or suppose free will is a determination of personhood. How do we determine human persons are really acting on free will any more than hypothetical robots or "lower" animals?

Straighten up, Fly right Coriolis's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Isk Stark View Post
    This is a foolish question.

And another one.
    No more foolish than the ideas being questioned. Accepting them as valid criteria is what would be foolish.
    Though the ground was burnt and everything turned into ashes, we will revive again. The sky is still blue, the crashing waves from long ago are unchanged. This is Earth, our planet. This dream is in the hearts of people; so long as they do not abandon it, it will not fade away. For the sake of tomorrow, keep a song in your heart. For the sake of our future, let us stop our crying and stand on our ground firmly. ~Maya

Senior Member Justin of Flavia Neapolis's Avatar

I remember watching these Jason Silva videos back in the day and feeling enlightened:

χρήστος ανέστη

Post Human Post
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    I'm surprised no one is yet approaching the consciousness angle. Like, how do we even define it? How do we know whether we are truly self-aware? That sort of thing.

Or suppose free will is a determination of personhood. How do we determine human persons are really acting on free will any more than hypothetical robots or "lower" animals?
    I immediately referred to it under the phrase self-awareness. The judgement of that property is really a philosophical muck-hole, as you know, with all your zombie reference material. Just throw the Turing test at 'em, call it good. If they admit they're a robot, believe them at face value. /Te

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    No more foolish than the ideas being questioned. Accepting them as valid criteria is what would be foolish.
    No one is forcing you to post in my foolish thread.
    χρήστος ανέστη

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Have you looked at the links I shared earlier regarding philosophical zombies? It's not exactly about robots but I think it's somewhat connected to this topic.

I would agree emotion fuels a lot of art. I'm not sure if it is always the case that art is a representation of emotion.
    Not yet. I'll take a look tomorrow. Later bud.
    χρήστος ανέστη

I think we’ll see a future with both cyber enhanced humans and AI robots. Perhaps genetically modified super humans as well. Maybe genetically modified cyber enhanced humans. Man is bound to blur the lines and eventually there will be no purely biological humans left. If we ever wish to truly stand a chance of seriously becoming a spacefaring species it may be necessary given the vast distances involved in space travel. As is even if we could achieve light speed it’s a wholly inadequate mode of travel for a species that expires after seventy or so years. Normal human lifespans are far too short. The human body is ridiculously fragile and really custom built for inhabiting Earth not space or even near Earth planets. I digress.
    ”The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.”

Quote Originally Posted by Isk Stark View Post
    I think the simple answer is: No, they will/can never be human.

Unless robots are able to create art, but even that could be simulated.

Humanity is a lot more complex than AI could ever dream to be. For instance, can an AI believe in a "God?" Religiosity is as human as art and tribal warfare. That would be difficult to program.
    Humans Prefer Computer-Generated Paintings to Those at Art Basel

These Are What the Google Artificial Intelligence’s Dreams Look Like | Popular Science

The fact that she announced she was going to ‘kill humans’ is kind of concerning. I mean. Just thought I would mention that.

Not that that doesnt mean we shoudlnt give her basic rights- anyone, even a robot deserves basic rights... I would hate to be self aware and well- aware that I was being treated as ‘less than’. Its a really sad feeling to have.

But... just saying... like anyone who would say something like they want to ‘destroy humans’... Id be a bit concerned with her and hope that THAT was being checked out/investigated.
    Likes Justin of Flavia Neapolis liked this post