• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Barriers Is there anything holding you back in this life?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is there anything holding you back in this life? What things hold you back from doing the things you really want to?

'Stumbling blocks to effective change'

(1) Our belief system have generations passed down in folk knowledge and wisdom sayings that does not possess scientific viability.

(2) We all have blind spots of awareness. We all can only glimmer a slice of reality and not reality in it's entirety due to blind spots and unfinished business and issues.

(3) Cognitive Dissonance prevents change because if a person is met with something unfamiliar, strange or different they shall be uncomfortable and so seek to disquiet the discomfort in a reactionary way that may be irrational.

(4) There are defensive Mechanisms designed to not look at areas inside us that might harbor pain and so we instinctively avoid this.

(5) If we are being of a Dogmatic and rigid nature we shall not be open minded enough. We shall be resistant to change.

(6) We instinctively fear the unknown. We have a tendency to say to ourselves, "Well I know my reality and if I do these changes it will be discomforting and I might lose out and I'll end up worse off." We don't want to give up what we feel as a right or a possession.

(7) We all have a type of lens in our perception of reality. Think of it as the Hubble telescope. Fear and hurts distort the lens or the ability to see and deal with reality realistically. We may give in to defenses by overcompensating and not addressing the problem areas.

(8) We are a reactive species. It probably is in the DNA of 100, 000 years of our forebears. They had to be at constant vigilance. We aren't behaviorally adept with the more actualized proactive stance.

(9) It all begins in our childhood with dysfunctional parents, distortions and faulty beliefs. The schemas we inherit from our parents are then placed in the software of our experiences."

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I need more initiative and discipline, and resilience, but am working on these.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there anything holding you back in this life? What things hold you back from doing the things you really want to?

I would prefer to be independently wealthy and traveling the Caribbean in a yacht. The problem is I am required to work, I've never owned a boat and it's still hurricane season.

Lark

I would prefer to be independently wealthy and traveling the Caribbean in a yacht. The problem is I am required to work, I've never owned a boat and it's still hurricane season.

I feel you man, you know who to blame for all that, eh? That's right everyone with a more right wing persuasion than Bill On The Hill that's who ;) ;)

I'd like to be a pirate too but I dont know I'd bother with the Caribbean, maybe less bullshit with Somali pirates, people traffickers and over loaded boats of people taking flight in that part of the seven seas though.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Humanity is it’s own rate-limiting step.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Lack of conscious character planning, which is impossible anyhow.

Lack of immunity to non-autonomous preference formation. Though this seems simplistic to state, these are the two factors that inform all states of being. The explanation of 'how so' is the complicated and difficult part.