• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology is nonsense?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Long ago I have created scientific analysis of astrology and it looks that entire thing is pure nonsense.
The entire astrology is based on how planets are moving through constellations(12 of them). You get the "bonus" if some planet come in some
constellation.
Each sign has planets that are more important to that sign.

Here are the reasons why I think that entire thing is nonsense.

1. If you land on Mars what will you do with the Earth that is flying around the sky?

2. What will you do if you are in orbit around the other planet? Since you are so close that this would mean that the planet could be in few constellations that are behind it, does that mean that you get the multiple bonus?

3. People that are in the different parts of the solar system would see same planet in different constellation. Would that mean that it would be smart to move around the solar system so that you always have the best possible combination?

4. If you go far enough from the plane(s) in wich planets are moving you will get sitation that none of the planets are falling into a constellations in wich they should be falling. Does that mean that astrology no longer works for you and the place where are you?

5. If you go out of the solar system you will leave it behind. So one of the possibilitys is that all planets will be in one of the 12 important constellations or in none of them. If they fall in one of 12 of them that should mean that some directions in space will be better for you. If family member or a friend that goes with you is born in wrong part of the year, would mean that for him of her the trip would be damnation. (what will probably make you unhappy)

6. Stars are moving all the time so with time the constellations we know will fall apart. What will we do then?

7. Why nobody counts planets around the other stars?

8. If you live in another star system that is very far away would that mean that person could create new constellations to live and rely on them?

Is there any opinions about this?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Of course it's nonsense...

edit:
says the guy with the crystal ball avatar. :laugh:

Mole

Permabanned
Kosher

Long ago I have created scientific analysis of astrology and it looks that entire thing is pure nonsense.
The entire astrology is based on how planets are moving through constellations(12 of them). You get the "bonus" if some planet come in some
constellation.

1. If you land on Mars what will you do with the Earth that is flying around the sky?

2. What will you do if you are in orbit around the other planet? Since you are so close that this would mean that the planet could be in few constellations that are behind it, does that mean that you get the multiple bonus?

3. People that are in the different parts of the solar system would see same planet in different constellation. Would that mean that it would be smart to move around the solar system so that you always have the best possible combination?

4. If you go far enough from the plane(s) in wich planets are moving you will get sitation that none of the planets are falling into a constellations in wich they should be falling. Does that mean that astrology no longer works for you and the place where are you?

5. If you go out of the solar system you will leave it behind. So one of the possibilitys is that all planets will be in one of the 12 important constellations or in none of them. If they fall in one of 12 of them that should mean that some directions in space will be better for you. If family member or a friend that goes with you is born in wrong part of the year, would mean that for him of her the trip would be damnation. (what will probably make you unhappy)

6. Stars are moving all the time so with time the constellations we know will fall apart. What will we do then?

7. Why nobody counts planets around the other stars?

8. If you live in another star system that is very far away would that mean that person could create new constellations to live and rely on them?

What I can't understand is this -

Every Astronomer will tell you astrology has no truth value. And so most people here don't believe in astrology.

But when every Psychometrician tells us that MBTI has no truth value, we continue to believe in and practise MBTI.

This cause me cognitive dissonance. And it is mentally painful.

So can anyone tell me why MBTI is kosher while astrology is not?

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Good on you mate. I'll have a squiz.

Well make sure you wash your hands afterwards.

The thing that annoys me about astrology is the sections you find in newspapers, magazines, tv guides. Who hires these people? Is it the editor? And who is (s)he to judge astrology, would (s)he give a shit that the astrologist was correct, or would (s)he just be interested in having somebody that can write thirteen paragraphs of rubbish per issue?

I'm sure when (s)he's hiring astrologers, (s)he doesn't get the applicant to write thirteen sample paragraphs and then get a representative of each zodiacal sign, plus one who's birthday is that day, to judge them for consistency. I'm sure as long as you make things sound meaningful in flowery undefining language you'd get the job.

But even though just anyone could get away with being a magazine astrologist, so many people look at their paragraph for the week and turn to you and say, "Oooh, look at that. I'm going to get a surprise from a loved one, I knew Brian was planning something special." (Suggesting of course that you know someone who's seeing a Brian)

And when you tell them this, it just doesn't sink in and they continue going on about it as if it being printed on something glossy or newsprinty somehow inverts logic altogether.

hathor_sekhmet

MBTI Type
INFP
constellation.

I'm not a hardcore believer in astrology or anything, just wanted to suggest some things because it's interesting to think about.

For point 1 -- If we lived on Mars we'd probably have to construct a new astrological system based on the placement of constellations relative to Mars (would make for an interesting scifi novel, ha). If someone just lands on Mars, his/her astrological makeup would remain the same but the effects of the stars/planets on him/her would be different. I guess that could be applied to points 2 and 3.

I don't really understand point 4.

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
So can anyone tell me why MBTI is kosher while astrology is not?

Astrology is complete, but good bullshit.

MBTI has a half-assed (scientific) backbone. However, there will never, ever be a theory that will describe each individual with 100% accuracy. How do you like them apples?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Antisocial's points are very good. It's a shame that type and temperament theory often get lumped into the same category as astrology, when one deals with the part of our persoanlity hard wired into our brain; and the other deals with remote objects configured into imaginary characters.

Another point, that was in the news a few years ago, but missed and forgotten, is that there is really thirteenth sign!
They had determined that the constellation Ophiuchus actually lies on the ecliptic! Perhaps it didn't anciently; but the stars are in fact moving. That one falls inbetween two others in the late winter; IIRC; Aquarius and the next one; throwing off people who are near the edges of one sign; into the next.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
What happened to Scorpio when Pluto ceased to be a planet?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm not a hardcore believer in astrology or anything, just wanted to suggest some things because it's interesting to think about.

For point 1 -- If we lived on Mars we'd probably have to construct a new astrological system based on the placement of constellations relative to Mars (would make for an interesting scifi novel, ha). If someone just lands on Mars, his/her astrological makeup would remain the same but the effects of the stars/planets on him/her would be different. I guess that could be applied to points 2 and 3.

I don't really understand point 4.

I was thinking about things you have said but that would actually destroy the entire thing.

As for the part 4.
From simplystic perspective.

All planets are moving around the sun and in one plane and if you watch from some planet or sun behind the planets there are constellation.

But if you are moving vertically from that plane all planets will fall out from
12 astrological constellations.

Jon

MBTI Type
INTP
But when every Psychometrician tells us that MBTI has no truth value, we continue to believe in and practise MBTI.

is this true?!? do psychometricians tell us that MBTI is rubbish? is there a book/journal i can refer to?