• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Balance; How does one achieve balance and can it be really of an achievable nature?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
“I think each unique individual as a distinct path which may of course cross with other beliefs. Personally i think to find self, develop the gift you were born to do in the world and give back toward humanity love and reason, a balance between both. "This beauty of this world both inner and outer that we live in. For greatest harmony to occur, both inner and outer realities need to be balanced. Learn to listen to an inner voice. I call it the universal consciousness. It is there within.

It can help perceive thus providing guidance in pursuing an activity where one can enter into a state of ultimate, majestic flow. This is to discover one’s inner gift and what we were made to do and become on this beautiful planet.” Balance has that euphoria of finding one's gift and working in that area, of one's gift. We were meant to actualize and find our gift. If one has not found their gift, then they exist in a shadow land of life's experiences trying to find meaning, and failing. Balance is the ideal, but few attain it.

It is in part our egos of what should we be doing or having, instead of listening to that inner voice and discovering what is real and true and worth pursuing. Ego by its term really reminds me of an immature, easily triggered human, and as well in addition not to into this individual’s inner being. Now, I can state 'a self-esteem' is perhaps functional and serves society in an entirety. Ego by its definition is not useful to the entire human world perspective. It’s instead caught with defenses and not getting to one's truer self-personhood.

It is part of the net called an illusion that corrupts, or can take us off the path. In developing one needs to be rid of over materialism except those that help one on a path to self-actualization. It is a constant attempt made in the effort of uniting both mind as well the heart. Either way in my mind can be destructive, that's saying too much heart or perhaps too much of thinking. A balance is of a necessity. This is the coalescence as well harmony of attuning with a force of the universe and attuning our spirit to listen to our intuition and thus guide us in this life.

I call it balance; it is a search for this balance in order to reach equilibrium. It shall really not truly be attained, but is the goal in our life and is as a compass and direction for our lives. My own standpoint.

(1) Find a gift that which you are; your real essence as well passion.

(2) Juggle life to a point. A person will divert more of the energy as well their life energies to their passion rather than being in a midst of false illusions.

(3) To be able of dealing with life's responsibilities getting life's passion as quickly as feasible.

(4) Slowly gain in strength being true to oneself and removing illusionary false beliefs.

I suppose it could be in finding a person's own passion and 'March to on's own drummer', even if it's not really of a conventional sort. Yes in a religious sense one is one with Tao, in Taoism. One is with a higher purpose in reality. One is not fighting reality. One is not trying to control reality. One is surrendering to the universe. One is surrendering one's ego. One is one with the "holy ghost". One is one with Mother Earth and the interrelatedness of planet earth's life forms." "Our life is of balance and realizing duality of mind plus realism with the external world.”

“What is very Tao is learning to become one with the universe. Not fighting what you cannot change, it is a waste of energy and life force. Learn to be more accepting. It is a lesson to let go of one’s ego and transcend it. It is actually a learning exercise and can take a lifetime to master.”

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In short summary fashion I strive for two balance’s. First is a balance between heart and mind. How is this to be accomplished?

I. First focus on mindful cognitive discipline and gaming an awareness of our underlying thoughts in the subconscious.

Second a focus on teaching active listening skills along with empathy skills.

II. Strive for a balanced equilibrium with our external world and maintain a balanced awareness of our internal universe also called our phenomenological inner world experience.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idea of balance suggests that all things are of equal value, that everything is to be had and experienced in the same measure. I don't agree with this at all. I have no desire to be a jack of all trades. I am fine with having strengths and weaknesses, being better - sometimes much better - at some things than at others, and having strong preferences, as long as I do not indulge them at others' expense.

The idea of balance thus seems overrated.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The idea of balance suggests that all things are of equal value, that everything is to be had and experienced in the same measure. I don't agree with this at all. I have no desire to be a jack of all trades. I am fine with having strengths and weaknesses, being better - sometimes much better - at some things than at others, and having strong preferences, as long as I do not indulge them at others' expense.

Coriolis wrote, (1) "The idea of balance suggests... all things are of equal value..."

Balance in this case is the ideal. The term self actualizing is a worthy ideal. Shall one ever reach the state of enlightenment? It is a process and part of the journey I elect to take even if I never get there.

(2) "...everything...to be had... experienced...same measure."

It is the ideal to strive for inner peace. No one can reach what you prescribe. It would be very unrealistic.

(3) "I have no desire to be a jack of all trades....fine with having strengths and weaknesses..."

I ascribe to the view you expressed.

(4) "...being better - sometimes much better - at some things than at others, and having strong preferences, as long as I do not indulge them at others' expense."

I strive always doing what I am able. I know what is possible for me. I keep a realistic view of goals in my compass sights.

(5) "...idea of balance thus seems overrated."

It is an ideal. In life we are on a journey. Don't obsess about reaching the destination.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Either way in my mind can be destructive, that's saying too much heart or perhaps too much of thinking. A balance is of a necessity. ”
This is Interesting.

This is also my ideal: balance. Balancing means typologically to be able to get both thinking and feeling conscious, interchangeably. Jung call this compensatory. When thinking is conscious, the feeling is unconscious. So a feeler is habitually don't think and vice versa. Imagine if this happened throughout their life, a feeler wouldn't be thinking and a thinker wouldn't feel anything. This is achievable and I have found person who has successfully shown this. But It seems not easy. Extrovert feeler dom and aux will feel difficult. My mother (ESFJ)often grieves when thinking that she feels exhausted, and often she is back to feel again; to judge and make decision based on feeling judgement. I wonder whether Freudian repressed thoughts refers to himself i.e what he found in himself that his thinking was repressed. Freud' type was probably an extrovert feeler dominant. The repressed thought may have been introduced by him to explain this psycho-phenomena. It could have been difficult for him to think, since he must have habitually felt.
A psychological imbalance could lead to bad consequences, may be psychopathic condition, etc.
An example will be Carl Jung for INFJ balanced.check this post
I have found another balanced type. Sachiko Nakajima. She is a mathematician and a pianist.
She is meritorious in math. She won International Mathematical Olympiad in 1996 (golds medal) and 1997 (silver medal).

Below, it is demonstrated that She is teaching math after playing piano.

Below, She plays piano for a non cover song instrumentally: flower of hope. She must have composed it herself. Can you imagine a math teacher and a composer, pianist is one person named Sachiko Nakajima?
Her explanation of math and music.
Sachiko Nakajima | TEDxUTokyo
Just in case you are wondering: what are her cognitive functions?
I agree with Terence Tao, when he explains three phases of math : pre rigorous, rigorous, post rigorous and the role of intuition and thinking in each phases. In order to do math well, we need intuition and thinking at our stack. To be more spesific, The intuition is introverted, and the thinking is extroverted. Playing instrumental music, needs introverted feeling and extroverted sensation at our stack.
I type her INTJ(NiTe,FiSe) balanced. She seems like an ISFP also when playing piano.
Analysis of Her cognitive function stack based on what she says
I should give some analysis why I type her so. in the video when she teaches audiences about math and music, she tells the audiences that the most important in math is what in Japanese called Doto over logic. So logic is the second importance below Doto. She translate Doto essences/ emphaty. I don't really know what the japanese word "Doto" means. But when it means essence, it can't be understood emphaty in the same sense, since Emphaty roughly means to get conscious of a feeling as if the feeler in the same position of the person who actually feels it although the emphatizer is actually not in the same position. But when it means essence, it is very closely related to psychological function in typology called the intuition, and what she means by logic is very closely related to the thinking psychological function. So to her, the Doto comes first over the logic, can be interpreted typology psychologically, she prioritize intuition over thinking. The type who prioritize intuition over thinking, and have the musical aptitude , which related to the introvert feeling -extroverted sensation is NiTe,FiSe.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Another balanced type: Manjul Bhargava: Another meritorious mathematician, a field medalist winner and a tabla player and a card trick performer.
When he was awarded fields medal.

Below is a video when playing tabla.

A video When teaching math.
He also performs cards trick.
But since he in another occasion, said solving math problem will develop intuition, I type him ENTJ balanced. In ENTJ function stack, Te is their primary, Ni is their auxiliary. When performing card trick and playing tabla, He will get conscious of Se-Fi.

Last edited:

Tomb1

Coriolis wrote, (1) "The idea of balance suggests... all things are of equal value..."

Balance in this case is the ideal. The term self actualizing is a worthy ideal. Shall one ever reach the state of enlightenment? It is a process and part of the journey I elect to take even if I never get there.

(2) "...everything...to be had... experienced...same measure."

It is the ideal to strive for inner peace. No one can reach what you prescribe. It would be very unrealistic.

(3) "I have no desire to be a jack of all trades....fine with having strengths and weaknesses..."

I ascribe to the view you expressed.

(4) "...being better - sometimes much better - at some things than at others, and having strong preferences, as long as I do not indulge them at others' expense."

I strive always doing what I am able. I know what is possible for me. I keep a realistic view of goals in my compass sights.

(5) "...idea of balance thus seems overrated."

It is an ideal. In life we are on a journey. Don't obsess about reaching the destination.

Ideally, balance is taking the hand off the arm that steals from me. That's my idea of balance.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
The Western world's idea of enlightenment is not entirely correct.

We have all reached enlightenment before, probably many times.

Enlightenment is pure existence and can come from something as simple as the contentment we get from mindless repetitive tasks. The greatest misconception is once achieve enlightenment we can maintain it. That's impossible. One of the most important concepts of Buddhism is that life is comprised of moments. Like anything else we feel, enlightenment can last for only in a moment ( or several).

So you can reach it, easily, you just cannot remain.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Totally, if you don't turn things to one side you are probably wasting your life.
In a way balance can simply be another term for "status quo".

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Saying this to an INTJ is just ... "stop being yourself" type of argument.
The link attached to this quote doesn't go to the actual quote, so I'm not sure of the context of this remark. I have indeed given this advice in certain specific situations, personality typing being one of them. Even an INTJ can understand that it isn't about the 4 letters you end up with, but rather what you learn about yourself along the way.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Cognitive functions Balancing Psychological Life Quest and the Movement of Mathematics and Arts
As I posted in this and in this, I have shown three persons (Carl Jung, a late psychiatrist and a stone carver, and Sachiko Nakajima a meritorious mathematician and jazz pianist, and Manjul Bhargava, a meritorious mathematician and a tabla player) that I identify as a balanced type on youtube.
I have found another community of people who are capable of showing some balance or compensating their cognitive functions consciousness and unconsciousness viewing from jungian typological standpoint. We may think that they may not be interested nor familiar enough with typology but they successfully balanced their type doing both mathematics that I identify as a of thinking intuition work (spesifically TeNi, or NiTe) and as two mathematicians seems to agree with i.e Terence Tao and Sachiko Nakajima, and some arts that I identify as SeFi or FiSe type of work.
I would like to give recommendation especially the TypoC Members who are confident that they identify their MBTI type correctly as one of these: ISFP, INTJ, ENTJ, ESFP to conduct research on their website, if you are as enthusiastic as they are in the one of the field either the arts one or the math or both or you may be determined to get your psychological functions balanced but are clueless on the method natural for you by of course taking into account your type. Psychoanalysis may be more natural for NiFe type, but may not be natural with your type. Behavioral Science like the MBTI may be more natural only for INFP, ISTJ, INTP, ISFJ, but probably not with your type.
I believe that one of The natural way to get balance both extroverted thinking introverted intuition and introverted feeling and extroverted sensation is by doing math also art interchangeably; not only by doing one of it: either sole art or sole math.
I believe that they have just enough to tell and to say about math and art connection to begin with.

Some events that they held.

Brief Intro to The not for profit organization.

You can download for free conference proceedings that explain math and arts (any kind of art) here, as reference materials collected for approximately 21 years since the organization was founded.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Some well known musician like the late Chester Bennington, Kurt Cobain died before manage to balance themselves. Unlike Sachiko Nakajima, who does both music and mathematics, Chester Bennington only played Music. Indonesia had also this type of musician but not mathematician the late Glenn Friedly , who was a musician but not a mathematician. Until their death, because no mathematical merit nor work found, I'd say they fail to balance their psychology. It is interesting question to me why Sachiko Nakajima can do both mathematics and music, which signifies successful balanced in psyche, but Glenn Friedly and Chester Bennington, Kurt Cobain couldn't. When I ask the question: Will there be another musicians that fail to do so in the future? I would answer it is likely.

Last edited:

yeghor

“I think each unique individual as a distinct path which may of course cross with other beliefs. Personally i think to find self, develop the gift you were born to do in the world and give back toward humanity love and reason, a balance between both. "This beauty of this world both inner and outer that we live in. For greatest harmony to occur, both inner and outer realities need to be balanced. Learn to listen to an inner voice. I call it the universal consciousness. It is there within.

It can help perceive thus providing guidance in pursuing an activity where one can enter into a state of ultimate, majestic flow. This is to discover one’s inner gift and what we were made to do and become on this beautiful planet.” Balance has that euphoria of finding one's gift and working in that area, of one's gift. We were meant to actualize and find our gift. If one has not found their gift, then they exist in a shadow land of life's experiences trying to find meaning, and failing. Balance is the ideal, but few attain it.

It is in part our egos of what should we be doing or having, instead of listening to that inner voice and discovering what is real and true and worth pursuing. Ego by its term really reminds me of an immature, easily triggered human, and as well in addition not to into this individual’s inner being. Now, I can state 'a self-esteem' is perhaps functional and serves society in an entirety. Ego by its definition is not useful to the entire human world perspective. It’s instead caught with defenses and not getting to one's truer self-personhood.

It is part of the net called an illusion that corrupts, or can take us off the path. In developing one needs to be rid of over materialism except those that help one on a path to self-actualization. It is a constant attempt made in the effort of uniting both mind as well the heart. Either way in my mind can be destructive, that's saying too much heart or perhaps too much of thinking. A balance is of a necessity. This is the coalescence as well harmony of attuning with a force of the universe and attuning our spirit to listen to our intuition and thus guide us in this life.

I call it balance; it is a search for this balance in order to reach equilibrium. It shall really not truly be attained, but is the goal in our life and is as a compass and direction for our lives. My own standpoint.

I suppose it could be in finding a person's own passion and 'March to on's own drummer', even if it's not really of a conventional sort. Yes in a religious sense one is one with Tao, in Taoism. ....”

I think what is referred to as "balance" and "true purpose" in the OP's post can be summarized as follows:

1) Find your true MBTI type,

2) Try to develop all your functions, including the shadow functions. This will yield a more versatile personality that has depth both towards the external realm and the internal. This won't be a jack of all trades, it will still be a master in the dominant function yet will be able to resort to the weaker functions when the circumstances demand and by becoming more competent in weaker functions they will also have some understanding of the demeanor and choices of people who are dominant in those functions. Developing the weaker functions require abandoning the dominant functions (comfort zone) gradually.

3) In this way, each individual will have fleshed out the most capable versions of their true type and will be more capable and hopefully happier due to life choices true to self bringing them to environments they would be happiest in. It is akin to exercising to build different muscle groups.

4) This process may unconsciously happen anyways by our minds making us to seek out activities and life styles truer to our true self.