• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Whats your idea of a troll?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A troll is someone who specifically enters an online space for the sake of disrupting it by insults or harassment or just being so dumb that everyone has to stop what they're doing to comment on them.

This is different from the act of trolling, which is when people engage in behavior that is troll-like. Intentions are hard to determine online, so we really only have behavior to look at. Once the ratio of non trolling comments and trolling comments leans to the trolling side, it's time to consider whether or not someone is a troll.

This is why it's much easier to dismiss a new user as a troll than it is a long time member. 3 out of 4 posts are troll comments? Troll. 3642 out of 7239? That's a little harder to determine.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
#5 I can see being a troll depending on the community. However the rest are pretty well understood.

The off-topic troll has complete power if the moderators don’t do anything. While maybe not offensive to the entire community for sure, definitely a mean tactic to OP whether intentional or unintentional.

Lark

A troll is someone who specifically enters an online space for the sake of disrupting it by insults or harassment or just being so dumb that everyone has to stop what they're doing to comment on them.

This is different from the act of trolling, which is when people engage in behavior that is troll-like. Intentions are hard to determine online, so we really only have behavior to look at. Once the ratio of non trolling comments and trolling comments leans to the trolling side, it's time to consider whether or not someone is a troll.

This is why it's much easier to dismiss a new user as a troll than it is a long time member. 3 out of 4 posts are troll comments? Troll. 3642 out of 7239? That's a little harder to determine.

I'd say there's got to be elements of attention whoring and games playing, its closely associated with cyberbullying too in my experience, the worst examples of it, whether those responsible for it make any sort of pretense to it being "put on" or games, they have issues, deep seated ones and they're more likely than not over compensating with their life online for how they really are offline.

I'm always reminded of that episode of Simpsons when comic book guy says something about all these guys on some forum and what they will say and Bart tells him not to worry about them and Millhouse says that "two of them are me" or something to that effect.

Its interesting that someone has decided to work out a typology for actual trolls themselves, when I started visiting bulletin boards away at the out set of the internet I remember trolls being one of many, many categories of people and keywords invented by the online community, like "big dog" and "me too" and "hand grenades" or "grenadiers" but none of those keywords caught on, besides troll, more or less.

I confess that when I was a lot younger and visiting a politics forum I engaged in a lot of behaviour which wouldnt be amiss for some of the other posters on this forum who've been banned from time to time and one of the forumers called it out as trolling, I didnt know what that was then, and asked what was meant, I was shocked when I heard what was meant and didnt post like that again, whether other members of that forum continued to or not.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gave me an idea for a halloween costume

nintchdbpict000311256389.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I read the list and the list is stupid.that person just wants the internet to be a book that follows their guidelines, fuck that person

my idea of a troll is someone who gets online and intentially repeatly tries to rile up other members, or they're a character usually to make the people who are actually like that look bad but it's always for the LOLz

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the list and the list is stupid.that person just wants the internet to be a book that follows their guidelines, fuck that person

my idea of a troll is someone who gets online and intentially repeatly tries to rile up other members, or they're a character usually to make the people who are actually like that look bad but it's always for the LOLz

I agree. That's a pretty good description.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Whenever I hear the word "troll," I automatically think of a creature hiding under a bridge, waiting to terrorize the bully goats gruff.

That, or a Moria monster who tries to sabotage the quest of the Fellowship of the Ring.

Both descriptions fit a good many Internet dwellers either way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A troll is someone who consistently derails threads with stuff that isn't funny or even interesting. Controversy or provocation isn't trolling; I can deal with people thinking differently than me. It's just when people kill conversations just to shit it up with junk because they think they're being "an interesting character."

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I don't think the bolding matters when you're looking at a high volume of posts. Whether 3,000 troll posts is a fraction of 4,000 posts or 7,000 posts, it's still 3,000 troll posts. Then again, I'm not the biggest fan of giving longtime members extra leeway.

Otherwise, I entirely agree.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Trolling is purposefully provoking people to get a rise of out them.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
2nd meaning: Internet term - Emotional string pulling as a power play.

1st meaning: from Three Billy Goats Gruff (see earlier).

OP list is nonsense.

The most impressive troll i ever witnessed was on INTJforum. A person of an IQ of certainly little more than average if it was even that, doggedly out-"debating" all those seasoned debator INTJs and evading policy violations on the most pompously legislated forum on the internet. She had them nearly crying with frustration. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me, a troll is someone who has fun at someone elses expense.

They don‘t hear or see a ‘no’ or believe that the person/people they re targetting deserve a choice to be part of their joke or not, for whatever reason they justify in their head.

Often, it seems to be ‘this person needs to be tauggt a lesson’ thing, when their ‘teaching methods’ are pisspoor, guaranteed to fail and clearly meant to get applause fron the crowd, which then leads to the repeated trolling of that person since ‘they never learn and are too stupid to see the truth’. = infinite pay out for the crowd loving the drama and the troll trying to platform.

It’s often the quintessential laughing at someone instead of with them.
Im all for it if the person/people are in on the joke and gladly part of it. Too often though, they’re not.

Doesnt matter how genius or clever the supposed joke is, if its done at someone elses expense, it becomes a crude, cheap way to hurt others and entertain the crowd, and all that supposed genius a smoke screen to hide said cruelty, imho.

Somehow trolls seem to believe that if they entertain you enough, they can unleash all their frustrations on their victim right there, and you wont only bat an eye, but you ll even validate and taken pleasure in joining them in the tornenting of others and building their own popularity.

Mob mentality 101.

Lark

Whenever I hear the word "troll," I automatically think of a creature hiding under a bridge, waiting to terrorize the bully goats gruff.

That, or a Moria monster who tries to sabotage the quest of the Fellowship of the Ring.

Both descriptions fit a good many Internet dwellers either way.

I love the story of the billy goats gruff, I also think of these strange types of beings which were in novels like Night In Lonesome October or Funland (I cant recall the author's name right now) but they were like violent, scary homeless types that lived beneath bridges or boardwalks at the seaside, these guys were not your normal derelicts and the guy wrote that they were drawn in by other sinister or supernatural forces which were on their "wave length" and they were bad guys.

Not all trolls are sinister but those that are can be proper bad stuff. I think this community is alright at dealing with them to be honest.