• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How would you define GLORY from a Christian perspective?

StrawberryBoots

I don't know if I fully understand what the word means, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

For example, what do you think glory means when someone says the following:

"The glory of God filled the temple."

"Give honor, glory and praise to God."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if I fully understand what the word means, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

For example, what do you think glory means when someone says the following:

"The glory of God filled the temple."

"Give honor, glory and praise to God."

My quick impression is that those might be two slightly different uses.

"The glory of God filled the temple" = the presence of god, the majesty of god, the magnificence of god

"Give honor, glory, and praise to God" = worshipers offer adulation, praise, honor, giving God his full due based on who God is. yes, it's all kind of redundant in this translation.

Mole

Permabanned
The Glory of the Trinity is the victory over death, after all the Second Person of the Trinity redeemed us from death, and believing in Him, gave us Eternal Life.

Eternal Life seems a fit description of Glory.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, I thought this was about that movie about black soldiers during the Civil War.

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I should add the following from etymonline.com to give further insight in the matter:

glory (n.)
c. 1200, gloire "the splendor of God or Christ; praise offered to God, worship," from Old French glorie "glory (of God); worldly honor, renown; splendor, magnificence, pomp" (11c., Modern French gloire), from Latin gloria "fame, renown, great praise or honor," a word of uncertain origin.
The etymology as *gnoria "knowledge, fame" to gnarus "known" and i-gnorare has been acknowledged by some scholars, and rejected by others. In its favour speak the semantics of words for "glory", which in Indo-European societies mostly have to do with "spoken praise", "reputation by hearsay". Against the assumed etymology speak the phonetics. [de Vaan]
Meaning "one who is a source of glory" is from mid-14c. Also in Middle English "thirst for glory, vainglory, pride, boasting, vanity" (late 14c.), Sense of "magnificence" is late 14c. in English. Meaning "worldly honor, fame, renown." Latin also had gloriola "a little fame." Glory days was in use by 1970. Old Glory for "the American flag" is first attested 1862.

The Christian sense are from the Latin word's use in the Bible to translate Greek doxa "expectation" (Homer), later "an opinion, judgment," and later still "opinion others have of one (good or bad), fame; glory," which was used in Biblical writing to translate a Hebrew word which had a sense of "brightness, splendor, magnificence, majesty of outward appearance." The religious use has colored that word's meaning in most European tongues. Wuldor was an Old English word used in this sense.

glory (v.)
mid-14c., "to rejoice" (now always with in), from Old French gloriier "glorify; pride oneself on, boast about," and directly from Latin gloriari which in classical use meant "to boast, vaunt, brag, pride oneself," from gloria (see glory (n.)). Related: Gloried; glorying.

Mole

Permabanned
We glorify our God who is the Trinity, three persons in one God. This is interesting as our God has created a universe that is beyond glory, beyond our imagination, in that everything in the universe is rushing away from us in every direction at an accelerating rate with no speed limit of light.

We have discovered the expanding and accelerating universe only in 1998, until then we had absolutely no idea. All our religions were created without our knowing where we are, not knowing the universe in which we live and have always lived.

It makes glory ridiculous and redundant.

StrawberryBoots

The Glory of the Trinity is the victory over death, after all the Second Person of the Trinity redeemed us from death, and believing in Him, gave us Eternal Life.

Eternal Life seems a fit description of Glory.

I was impressed with your thought. I haven't looked at Glory in terms of eternal life.

Thank you to all who replied to my thread!