• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it possible to change? Why should we change?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is it possible to change? Why should we change and also what will determine that change? Why is it difficult to change, what are the barriers? Which personality type has it easier to change? If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's possible to change. The determining factor is our own free will. It's difficuly because we are highly programmed and conditioned mentally/emotionally speaking and most of the information out there pertaining to change is sooner or later ridiculed because as a society we think we know what are the limits to what is and is not possible for us as a species. We don't though. We have highly conditioned rules and worldviews and belief systems. We think that we know reality. It's also difficult because we are looking for outside agency....rather than take it upon ourselves. And since the rest of the bozos don't know jack shit....we just repeat yesterday for the most part looking for a saviour. When that guy comes, he is nailed to a cross or they make some other religion about him without analyzing what he said and putting it to practice.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Of course it's possible to change. How else would you improve? To be better, you have to adapt and reassess constantly. This is difficult because there's a gap what you are now and what you want to be that is hard to overcome. Habit and comfort are all in all binds. However, the struggles you face when improving/changing are great signals that show you are in fact getting there. Nothing good in life comes easy. Everything is a hassle and your capability to deal with said hassles definenyiur worth.

Or y'know, whatever.

In terms of typology, I don't think MBTI type can change past a certain age. Enneagram could possibly be shifted but no major change without trauma. Can't speak for Socionics. Instinctive variant can change.

Lark

Is it possible to change? Why should we change and also what will determine that change? Why is it difficult to change, what are the barriers? Which personality type has it easier to change? If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?

Why did you forget the number this time?

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think we change as people. The obvious one, we do grow. We evolve, mature, and change. But it's different for everyone and we are all going at our own paces. There are some people, whomever, who cling to their ideals and values and they don't change and grow, they stick their heads in the sand and are fine that way.

Many things can determine change, for the better or the worse. Some people learn more about themselves and this enlightens them to change. Sometimes this can make people anxious and reluctant to change. Some people go through tragedies and it makes them have a bleak outlook on life. Some people go through tragedies and don't feel anything, but they are still changed. It's different for everyone.

If I could change one thing about the world, it would be the political divide. We need to come together and smarten up. Not as democrats/liberals/republicans/whatever. It can't be one side vs the other, everyone needs to come together and fight for people, fight for fights. Because right now it's fucking scary. And there should, hopefully if we have a future, be a rule for people who want to run for president. Like, you can't be reckless. What's going on is recklessness.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is inevitable. Either you yourself decide to change, or the stagnation that you are in will start to affect your environment bit by bit, and when your environment becomes affected, or rather changed by a stagnation, you'll involuntarily be changed by the events caused by your unwillingness to adapt.

Karen Horney has a saying; "Fortunately, analysis is not the only way to resolve inner conflicts. Life itself still remains a very effective therapist."

P.S: Nothing escapes entropy. Everything is ever-changing, but human beings can emphasize over a trait they want to change within themselves. If this becomes too much, one inadvertently blinds oneself to other changes that he or she is going through.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
the body changes from age 1 on, why is the mind so resiliant?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
the body changes from age 1 on, why is the mind so resiliant?
Adversity is the catalyst for change to which the body is beset constantly but the mind only intermittently.

"But what happens when an event occurs that is so....catastrophic, that we just....change?"

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Superficial change? Yes of course. Real change? Unlikely.

Mole

Permabanned
A New Habit and 21 Days

It takes 21 days to form a new habit. So for 21 days we consciously practise our new habit, and after 21 days our new habit becomes second nature. It does though take a lot of energy to focus on one new habit for 21 days, and it is best to put the 21 days aside and not try to do anything else.

But when all is said and done, we are just 21 days from forming a new habit.

Mole

Permabanned
It takes 21 days to form a new habit. So for 21 days we consciously practise our new habit, and after 21 days our new habit becomes second nature. It does though take a lot of energy to focus on one new habit for 21 days, and it is best to put the 21 days aside and not try to do anything else.

But when all is said and done, we are just 21 days from forming a new habit.

I would add that the rhythm of forming a new habit over 21 days is practice then recovery. For we consciously practise the habit for one day, then the next day we rest and recover, and let our mind and our body integrate what we have learnt over the previous day. Then the next day we practise the habit again, and so on for 21 days. It seems easy doesn't it?
[MENTION=7680]lightsun[/MENTION]

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We will always use the same ways to navigate life as a whole. The percentages of each way changes as we face different situations.

Function wise we may lean more toward Aux or Tert or Dom at different times. We may even go from allowing our external world to control the shift to making concsious decisions to shift. But functionwise we wont really change.

We can change nurture, not nature without outside things such as medication/etc. That actually changes our biological makeup permanently.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's possible to change. The determining factor is our own free will. It's difficuly because we are highly programmed and conditioned mentally/emotionally speaking and most of the information out there pertaining to change is sooner or later ridiculed because as a society we think we know what are the limits to what is and is not possible for us as a species. We don't though. We have highly conditioned rules and worldviews and belief systems. We think that we know reality. It's also difficult because we are looking for outside agency....rather than take it upon ourselves. And since the rest of the bozos don't know jack shit....we just repeat yesterday for the most part looking for a saviour. When that guy comes, he is nailed to a cross or they make some other religion about him without analyzing what he said and putting it to practice.

Via burningranger
(1)“...possible to change. The determining factor is our own free will. It's difficulty…programmed and conditioned mentally/emotionally speaking… “

“I am of the conviction we are a product of nature and nurture. A chemical soup if you will. Our limits of plasticity and willingness to change stem from an unconscious level. I’ve seen science documentaries which claim free will is an illusion as our own sub-conscious has already made a decision on a course of action before one is consciously aware.

To me it also comes from early childhood development and so called resiliency factors. Either a person has sufficient resiliency factors in place or does not, one cannot override the subconscious and the sum of who we are.”

(2)“…know what are the limits to what is and is not possible for us as a species.”

“Precisely, we are a reactive and not proactive species. We resist change and changes to our perceived comfort levels. People don’t want to change into the great unknown as they can perceive a disadvantage to change.

This however is only in the short term the necessary changes for the good of society. The long term benefits will reap rewards. Unfortunately we are too short sighted to see the big picture further on down and over the horizon of a new vista and new opportunities.”

(3)“...highly conditioned rules …worldviews and belief systems. We think that we know reality.”

“Again, concurrence with your view. Perception is not reality. I have a saying that what we think, feel and believe to be true may not in fact be true. Much of what the species thinks as being fact is mere programmed opinions together with fear, stereotypes and human prejudice’s.”

(4)“... we are looking for outside agency....rather than take it upon ourselves.”

“The saying goes everybody talks change but they want the other person to conform or change. We’re reactive and do not readily go against a status quo until an emergency situation arises a la a Pearl Harbor before we are motivated to change.

Otherwise we would take care of the environment, get a handle on our populations and dedicate resources to our young in the form of revamping the school systems. The way we were taught does not necessitate a growth in awareness or evolution unless we make diametric changes and hold on for a new paradigm shift and new way of doing things.” Paul

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Of course it's possible to change. How else would you improve? To be better, you have to adapt and reassess constantly. This is difficult because there's a gap what you are now and what you want to be that is hard to overcome. Habit and comfort are all in all binds. However, the struggles you face when improving/changing are great signals that show you are in fact getting there. Nothing good in life comes easy. Everything is a hassle and your capability to deal with said hassles definenyiur worth.

Or y'know, whatever.

In terms of typology, I don't think MBTI type can change past a certain age. Enneagram could possibly be shifted but no major change without trauma. Can't speak for Socionics. Instinctive variant can change.

Via Merced
(1) “...course it's possible to change. How else would you improve?”

I will quote burningranger and my response. “…know what are the limits to what is and is not possible for us as a species.”

“Precisely, we are a reactive and not proactive species. We resist change and changes to our perceived comfort levels. People don’t want to change into the great unknown as they can perceive a disadvantage to change.

This however is only in the short term the necessary changes for the good of society. The long term benefits will reap rewards. Unfortunately we are too short sighted to see the big picture further on down and over the horizon of a new vista and new opportunities. I have witnessed people being much similar at age 65 like they happened to be at 18. Unless a crisis or life altering event forces someone to reevaluate their priorities and values people stay pretty similar.”

(2) “...adapt and reassess constantly.” “... gap what you are now and what you want to be that is hard to overcome. Habit and comfort are all in all binds.”

“This is the ideal for most chances of actualizing one’s potential in life, I agree. The other pertinent point is the fact we are reactive in nature holding on to old ideas and not embracing new ways of doing things, Look at the laws of our land and throughout human history.

All changes were resisted initially by the masses, their fears and prejudices. It took a generation for the new way of doing things to settle in and finally being accepted as normal.”

(3)“...struggles you face when improving/changing…capability to deal with said hassles define your worth.”

“It is mostly true that challenges in life help us to expand our horizons and develop new skill sets. It is part of the actualizing agent of the human species to be all that they can amount to be and actualize one’s potential latent gift.” Paul

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why did you forget the number this time?

Oh hello Lark this time it was my own personal question instead of coming off the web sites philosophical questions list.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think we change as people. The obvious one, we do grow. We evolve, mature, and change. But it's different for everyone and we are all going at our own paces. There are some people, whomever, who cling to their ideals and values and they don't change and grow, they stick their heads in the sand and are fine that way.

Many things can determine change, for the better or the worse. Some people learn more about themselves and this enlightens them to change. Sometimes this can make people anxious and reluctant to change. Some people go through tragedies and it makes them have a bleak outlook on life. Some people go through tragedies and don't feel anything, but they are still changed. It's different for everyone.

If I could change one thing about the world, it would be the political divide. We need to come together and smarten up. Not as democrats/liberals/republicans/whatever. It can't be one side vs the other, everyone needs to come together and fight for people, fight for fights. Because right now it's fucking scary. And there should, hopefully if we have a future, be a rule for people who want to run for president. Like, you can't be reckless. What's going on is recklessness.

Melodrama wrote, “...we change as people….we do grow. We evolve, mature, and change. But it's different for everyone and we are all going at our own paces.”

“... ideals and values … don't change and grow, they stick their heads…” “...can determine change…people learn more about themselves and this enlightens them to change.”

“...one thing about the world, it would be the political divide. We need to come together and smarten up. Not as democrats/liberals/republicans/whatever. It can't be one side vs the other, everyone needs to come together and fight for people, fight for fights.”

“I am generalizing as I do not have sound scientific research so it’s my opinion but an intuitive broaden and deepen their understanding about their self, others and reality. Theirs is a life long quest to understand and make into a greater whole a sound picture of the puzzle pieces of life’s queries. A quest not only in a search of understanding but a life quest to enhance themselves and grow into the gifts they posses. Again I’d like statistics (but per chance things balance out 50-50) on who exactly is more open to change: democrats or republicans.

Another broad generalization but to me the liberals see the future and want to make changes in progress. The republicans represent a status quo of foundation. They seem to want to hold unto a past in bygone eras that represent an ideal. Progress is ever present. Today is better and more fair as far as rights are concerned in the interest of all.

In fact too republicans progressive is a dirty word whereas too me it is a badge of honor plus distinction. It takes the two to balance it out. The problem is the two sides don’t communicate in adult fashion. There’s too much emotionalism, labeling, blame and subjective opinion.

This rather than the political arena operate in a mature fashion and practice debate style dialogue and attention to objective facts. As in statistics subjective data corrupts the outcome so too are subjective statements laden with cognitive distortions (CBT: Cognitive Behavior Therapy) and irrational ideas (REBT: Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy).” Paul

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It is inevitable. Either you yourself decide to change, or the stagnation that you are in will start to affect your environment bit by bit, and when your environment becomes affected, or rather changed by a stagnation, you'll involuntarily be changed by the events caused by your unwillingness to adapt.

Karen Horney has a saying; "Fortunately, analysis is not the only way to resolve inner conflicts. Life itself still remains a very effective therapist."

P.S: Nothing escapes entropy. Everything is ever-changing, but human beings can emphasize over a trait they want to change within themselves. If this becomes too much, one inadvertently blinds oneself to other changes that he or she is going through.

Glados wrote, (1) “...is inevitable.” “... you yourself decide to change, or the stagnation that you are in will start to affect your environment…”

“...involuntarily be changed by the events caused by your unwillingness to adapt.”

“Change and progress are ever going on to a future. The thing is that change has always been contested and as well resisted by the people. Look at women right to vote, the black civil rights movement and segregation and just only in recent times a gay and lesbians privilege and right for marriage. To me children and animal right are behind. I wonder which of the MBTI types find it easier to adjust and embrace change?”

(2) Karen Horney has a saying; "…analysis is not the only way to resolve inner conflicts. Life itself still remains a very effective therapist."

“It is life’s conflicts that can enhance our emotional , spiritual and cognitive development. That is of course if at the moment of conflict one takes the higher road with a more reasoned balanced approach, not succumbing to base emotions.” Paul

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Adversity is the catalyst for change to which the body is beset constantly but the mind only intermittently.

"But what happens when an event occurs that is so....catastrophic, that we just....change?"

anticlimatic wrote,
(1) “Adversity is the catalyst for change to which the body is beset constantly…”

“Challenges in life in proper doses are a harbinger of growth and development.” Paul

(2) “... happens when an event occurs that is so....catastrophic, that we just....change?"

“I don’t know about that. There is real reality and then there is the reality of our intentions. When the two collide in a crises and or tragedy cognitive dissonance follows. Then it takes the mind, body and emotions time to heal, process, assimilate the change and go in a new heading in their life.” Paul

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Via Merced
(1) “...course it's possible to change. How else would you improve?”

I will quote burningranger and my response. “…know what are the limits to what is and is not possible for us as a species.”

This however is only in the short term the necessary changes for the good of society. The long term benefits will reap rewards. Unfortunately we are too short sighted to see the big picture further on down and over the horizon of a new vista and new opportunities. I have witnessed people being much similar at age 65 like they happened to be at 18. Unless a crisis or life altering event forces someone to reevaluate their priorities and values people stay pretty similar.”

(2) “...adapt and reassess constantly.” “... gap what you are now and what you want to be that is hard to overcome. Habit and comfort are all in all binds.”

“This is the ideal for most chances of actualizing one’s potential in life, I agree. The other pertinent point is the fact we are reactive in nature holding on to old ideas and not embracing new ways of doing things, Look at the laws of our land and throughout human history.

All changes were resisted initially by the masses, their fears and prejudices. It took a generation for the new way of doing things to settle in and finally being accepted as normal.”

(3)“...struggles you face when improving/changing…capability to deal with said hassles define your worth.”

“It is mostly true that challenges in life help us to expand our horizons and develop new skill sets. It is part of the actualizing agent of the human species to be all that they can amount to be and actualize one’s potential latent gift.” Paul

Could you format this differently? I'm having trouble differentiating who said what or your point. Maybe use bbcode?