• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

32. What do people strive for after enlightenment?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"One practices a reverence and agape love for all life form. We do not hate our enemies for they are misguided and on another path. We set up boundaries, find like minded individuals and seek to enhance one's potential. We are more fully immersed in the net of our combined and shared humanity."

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't believe in enlightenment from an external source. The only light is the one we create. And once we have created our own light, that is, found answers to our questions that leaves us with more unanaswered questions. And then in turn we need to create more light to answer those questions.

Self-realization is a process that never ends.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't believe in enlightenment from an external source. The only light is the one we create. And once we have created our own light, that is, found answers to our questions that leaves us with more unanaswered questions. And then in turn we need to create more light to answer those questions.

Self-realization is a process that never ends.

Typh0n wrote, "...enlightenment from an external..." "...Self-realization is a process that never ends."

Neither do I. In this we are similar. Self actualization is as you said a process. It is the journey of our lifetime. Over time we will broaden and deepen our understanding of ourselves, others and reality. Paul

Lark

Just interested what exam/evangelical literature/scientology quiz these are all lifted from?:shock:

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
explains / deals with this concept / question so well
and so does the allegory of the cave by Plato once enlightened we seek to enlighten others, take them out of the cave so that they may see the sun.

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Service to the greater whole seems to be the natural impulse of the embodied master (and by mastery I mean mastery of oneself) on this planet. But one is not ultimately obligated to even that if one is truly free. There are stories of people who upon realizing I AM THAT I AM choose to leave the planet. And when you take into account the sheer enegertic density of the planet right now, you can't blame them. I hate the world enlightenment because it leads people to understand it as some sort of objective realization that everyone experiences the same way and that somehow represents a specific state . It doesn't work that way.

Where did you get that quote from lightsun? I'm curious.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Service to the greater whole seems to be the natural impulse of the embodied master (and by mastery I mean mastery of oneself) on this planet. But one is not ultimately obligated to even that if one is truly free. There are stories of people who upon realizing I AM THAT I AM choose to leave the planet. And when you take into account the sheer enegertic density of the planet right now, you can't blame them. I hate the world enlightenment because it leads people to understand it as some sort of objective realization that everyone experiences the same way and that somehow represents a specific state . It doesn't work that way.

it's my own writing. Sometimes I post under my spiritual name of LightSun and quote.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

burningranger wrote, (1) "Service to the greater whole...the natural impulse of the embodied master (and by mastery I mean mastery of oneself)... planet.", "...not ultimately obligated to even that if one is truly free.",

When one is further along in development they realize that we are all interconnected. Moreover being healed enough they strive to practice agape love of all life forms. Because we are an independent and intra-dependent species it behooves us to work in concert with our fellow man. This requires communication skills set and a lack of being readily triggered with false ego.

(2) "...understand it as some sort of objective realization... experiences the same way..."

No for that would be a dogmatic way. We all have an individual path and unique life lessons to learn different from our neighbor. No man may tell another human being how to walk his or her own path.

Mole

Permabanned
Enlightenment and Ressentiment

We know what people strive for after enlightenment, in particular we know what people strive for after the Western Enlightenment of the 18th century.

The Western Enlightenment of the 18th century was based on evidence and reason, and afterwards we have striven to apply evidence and reason, and we have been enormously successful in science, economics, liberal democracy, and modern medicine.

The enlightenment of which you speak here is a romantic reaction to the Western Enlightenment of the 18th century. And this romantic reaction is reactionary and based on ressentiment.

And interestingly the romantic reaction is intuitive while the Enlightenment of evidence and reason is counter-intuitive. Counter-intuitive thinking required discipline and learning, while intuitive thinking requires no discipline or learning.

But worst of all, just below the soft surface of the romantic enlightenment lies ressentiment, a bone marrow deep hatred of what is good, and the desire to destroy it, click on http://www.mercaba.org/SANLUIS/Filosofia/autores/Contemporánea/Scheller/Ressentiment.pdf

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whatever they used to strive for before enlightenment.

Lucy_Ricardo

MBTI Type
INFP
Endarkenment. :wink:

YES, ENDARKENMENT. AGREED.

Honestly, those who strive for enlightenment will always do so because one can never fully achieve enlightenment. We see through a glass darkly. So the question shouldn't be "What do people strive for after enlightenment?" but rather "What do people strive for in addition to enlightenment?"

And the answer to that, of course, is the perfect pound cake recipe.

Mole

Permabanned
Enlightenment today means a soft enlightenment, the kind of enlightenment we have when we are not having any enlightenment. So today's enlightenment is an ersatz enlightenment, a lovely fantasy, something that makes us look good in the eyes of others, just as fashion does. So today enlightenment is a fashion, enlightenment is high status, and hey, it makes us feel good, rather than doing good.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Actualize and Enlightenment: Can we actualize? How is it possible to actualize? What is your path in order to actualize? What do people strive for after enlightenment?bless

Quote:
"Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world." - Sri Ramana Maharshiblessbless

Quote:
“What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.” ~Richard Bachbless

bless“It's so easy to sleep as a caterpillar, but if we fear the transformation into butterfly, we will never know the glorious sense of flight or reach our true potential. Think of child-birth. It is painful, but brings a bountiful of opportunities. We must shed our snake skin of blindness in order to see.” Paul Johnson

Quote:
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” ~ Lao-Tzu

Quote:bless
bless“A path of enlightenment is a path of untangling, undoing many layers of beliefs that blind us to the innate freedom within us. It is a journey that can hold moments of great joy as we discover the depth of stillness and peace possible forblessus and moments of great pain as we discover the depths of fear and imprisonment in our beliefs. Above all it is the path of honesty where we ask to embrace everything in the light of calm acceptance.” Unknownbless

Quote:
bless“If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself; if you want to eliminate the suffering of the world, then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself. Truly the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.”blessLao Tzu

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
YES, ENDARKENMENT. AGREED.

Honestly, those who strive for enlightenment will always do so because one can never fully achieve enlightenment. We see through a glass darkly. So the question shouldn't be "What do people strive for after enlightenment?" but rather "What do people strive for in addition to enlightenment?"

And the answer to that, of course, is the perfect pound cake recipe.

Lucy_Ricardo wrote, “...strive for enlightenment will always do so because one can never fully achieve enlightenment. We see through a glass darkly.”

"None can perceive reality or truth correctly. We all have filters to our reasoning and can only catch glimmers of reality. That being said a path in search of truth and practicing reason and compassion in the face of adversity can grow and evolve seeing truth’s more readily than the common man.

For he or she is practicing filtering out the impurities of discrepancies in logic and errors of reasoning. It is a life long journey that does not end throughout the course of our lives.” Paul