• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How intelligent people end up in a cult

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting video on a former cult, including the former guru, produced by the Atlantic. It is well worth watching.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
These aren't intelligent people, IMO. If you need a cult to get you through daily life and cannot think/act for yourself then the problem lies with you, your willpower, and inability to think independently.

This Cohen guy seems like a sociopath.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
These aren't intelligent people, IMO. If you need a cult to get you through daily life and cannot think/act for yourself then the problem lies with you, your willpower, and inability to think independently.

This Cohen guy seems like a sociopath.

Anytime I hear - "spiritual awakening", I automatically take a couple steps away from whatever it is that's saying "spiritual awakening". I don't know that it makes me more intelligent, though. I think it makes me more aware, which is what this really comes down to.

rav3n

Intelligence would be irrelevant. Cults appeal to emotion, provide structure and a sense of belonging for lost individuals.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only real reason I've heard intelligent people getting into cults is to find like minded people and just dealing with the stupid crap. But that's coming from people who have gotten out.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Intelligence would be irrelevant. Cults appeal to emotion, provide structure and a sense of belonging for lost individuals.

I agree but why are they lost to begin with? Does having higher intelligence make one more susceptible to being a lost individual, needing structure or even being more emotional or at least recognizing that they have emotional needs that go in this direction?

rav3n

I agree but why are they lost to begin with? Does having higher intelligence make one more susceptible to being a lost individual, needing structure or even being more emotional or at least recognizing that they have emotional needs that go in this direction?
Often, it's the impact of abusive or seriously dysfunctional formative environments (at home and/or at school), mental health issues, etc. What's not known is why some who came from dysfunction/abuse don't break and others break and become lost.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Often, it's the impact of abusive or seriously dysfunctional formative environments (at home and/or at school), mental health issues, etc. What's not known is why some who came from dysfunction/abuse don't break and others break and become lost.

Yeah, I posted this video in my blog the other day when I saw it. I found it interesting especially because the cult leader is in the video -- he actually agreed to talk and comment on the collapse of his cult. I wish the documentary were longer.

But the angle you raise always interests me. I feel like my family was crazy dysfunctional because of my dad's alcoholism and my mom's inability to cope. I do have residual damage from growing up in that environment, but I never joined a cult like this. Some people seem to look for the external structure and need it, or they are missing something and wanting to find something that provides feelings of worth and substance (or even closeness / part of a community) which the cult can provide.

Some of the people seemed sincere in terms of being skeptical and then having some kind of experience that they decided validated the guru as a leader of spiritual truth... but you have to wonder about the phenomena of "spiritual faith" and these kind of transcendent experiences... like, are they truly evidence of spiritual truth or simply psychological experiences that people across the spectrum can have / other states of awareness and euphoria, regardless of the religious belief in question? But then it gets attributed to a specific religious system or set of truths?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Agreed. The entire initial question is naive and pandering, in an apologist sort of way to be honest. For starters, why wouldn't intelligent people be lulled into these situations? Cults work like any other abusive relationship. It doesn't start on the predication that to be intelligent (upper class, poor, tough etc) is to be immune. That's fallacy.

What happens is you're given rules and structure. You are given time or by condition accept these as normal because they MAKE SENSE. That's the first step. Then what happens is you're rewarded for that. Then you're chastised by going against it. Now you have normalcy. You know where to step and mistep.

Then - and here's the cult aspect kicking in, the initial rules change. They mutate. You are now told what you know is false by the very same person who explained the situation/belief to begin with. Then confusion creeps in and during this time, you're vulnerable and whomever is leading this manipulation (cult of personality) will infuse their own version of that initial truth with their own. Often there is violence or the threat of it.

All it takes to be seduced by a cult is a willingness not to question with a desire to live with integrity. It's f*cked up but perfect storms exist.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

People want and desire love and acceptance. It's a secondary drive but it often overshadows the rest. Sad and beautiful.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Introducing a fallacious premise, aye?

Cults and cabals are an invitation to a system and a pradigm with a certain view or a philosophy that entices the emotions, desires and senses. Intelligence, which remains to be defined, has nothing to do with a venture that might elicit the curiosity or the fascination of any human being in alignment with it and share the same interest.

biohazard

Permabanned
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anytime I hear - "spiritual awakening", I automatically take a couple steps away from whatever it is that's saying "spiritual awakening". I don't know that it makes me more intelligent, though. I think it makes me more aware, which is what this really comes down to.

Yeah, I get that. I definitely feel an uneasiness when they kept saying how spiritually awakened they were. It's like a trigger word, you just know when it's used insincerely.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I get that. I definitely feel an uneasiness when they kept saying how spiritually awakened they were. It's like a trigger word, you just know when it's used insincerely.

I had a friend rave on after taking ayahuasca in Mexico. Spiritual journey for days or something. I guess there's this whole ritual and it makes you vomit and sh*t and right there I'm like, nah. I don't need spiritual awakening that badly.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I had a friend rave on after taking ayahuasca in Mexico. Spiritual journey for days or something. I guess there's this whole ritual and it makes you vomit and sh*t and right there I'm like, nah. I don't need spiritual awakening that badly.

You could accomplish the same thing with some Taco Bell and never leave the house.

Permabanned