• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Minimalism beyond the things?

Lark

I'm reading a book, or started reading a book, on minimalism and the simple life, its someone who made extensive notes during a times spent living in Japan and investigating Zen and minimalism, they have already mentioned in the introduction about minimalism beyond things or possessions and I wondered if anyone on the forum has any ideas about the concept being applied more widely than the things you own?

They describe how minimising small talk can make you appear anti-social, that people talk about "having" friends, emotions etc. or "holding" degrees or qualifications, which seems a bit like another author's idea about a dichotomy between having and being in thinking.

Mole

Permabanned
On the 19th of February, 1942, a Zen Buddhist Carrier Battle Group, under Bushido, launched an attack on Darwin, Australia. The good Zen Buddhists proceeded to bomb the East Coast and the West Coast of Australia right down to Sydney.

Of course the popular New Age ideology romanticises Zen Buddhism, and turns a blind eye to their extreme cruelty, their systematic torture, their mass murders, and the human experiments in Unit 731.

Mole

Permabanned
<- nihilist

we rock minimalists...

The first rule in psychology is do no harm, while nihilists are inherently harmful to themselves and others.

What amazes me is how social nihilists are, we see them here all the time, oozing their poisonous ideology, that permeates their lives. You would think nihilists would fold their tents and go away, but oh no, they insist on being listened to, they insist on talking. Why is this?

Nihilist have been psychologically damaged, usually at a young age. And in order to survive they had to repress the emotional suffering their damage has caused them. But their unconscious wants to tell us about it, they have an continuous unconscious pressure to talk about it, but because it is repressed they are not conscious of their pain, so the only way they can tell us is by acting out what happened to them on others. So they come here to damage others as way of showing us what has happened to them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The first rule in psychology is do no harm, while nihilists are inherently harmful to themselves and others. What amazes me is how social nihilists are, we see them here all the time, oozing their poisonous ideology, that permeates their lives. You would think nihilists would fold their tents and go away, but oh no, they insist on being listened to, they insist on talking. Why is this? Nihilist have been psychologically damaged, usually at a young age. And in order to survive they had to repress the emotional suffering their damage has caused them. But their unconscious wants to tell us about it, they have an continuous unconscious pressure to talk about it, but because it is repressed they are not conscious of their pain, so the only way they can tell us is by acting out what happened to them on others. So they come here to damage others as way of showing us what has happened to them.
read your text, noticed that it has no meaning like all things in life, laid down again.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think it's more just about identifying what's important to you.

For example, we spend a lot of time on things that aren't so important to us... when you look back on your entire year so far, did you spend most of your time on the things that you remember being the most impactful on your life?

And yeah, we as humans tend to collect possessions to reflect these things because we are physical creatures. It is also the easiest to change, so we tend to focus heavily on that aspect. But there are other facets for sure. Friends that aren't really friends that we spend too much time on instead of quality time with the ones who matter.. little extras and details we don't need, and actually help hinder working on the things that are important.

It isn't that small talk sucks... we need it as humans. But, do we really need to make a conversation with everyone we come across? Or can we maybe identify that the older person in line that doesn't get much contact with the outside world would benefit more from it than, say, another person your own age that's perfectly content to sit in silence either way? Maybe we can try paying attention to our surroundings and plugging into them instead of trying to buffer them with conversation? Maybe we can say hey, no, I don't need facebook and twitter and twitch and instagram and snapchat and discord and and and ... because each and every thing we bring into our lives requires maintenance and time, and there's more important things to be had and done than have tons of small talk and listen to everyone else's small talk online.

It's about identifying your priorities is all. Whatever those are for you.

Mole

Permabanned
Mole would seem to vindicate your outlook. All the time. Always.

No wonder your avatar thinks you are nothing, because although you are clever, you are life denying. And seeing you are so well read, it is difficult to understand. Perhaps it is because you owe allegiance to a child raping Church that criminally covered it up for centuries, click on Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse - Wikipedia .

As I write we have brought criminal charges against Cardinal George Pell, the Treasurer of the Church and a friend and colleague of the Pope, for child sexual abuse, click on 3ed Highest Ranked Vatican Leader, Cardinal George Pell Charged with Rape - YouTube

How long can you avoid the truth?

Lark

No wonder your avatar thinks you are nothing, because although you are clever, you are life denying. And seeing you are so well read, it is difficult to understand. Perhaps it is because you owe allegiance to a child raping Church that criminally covered it up for centuries, click on Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse - Wikipedia .

As I write we have brought criminal charges against Cardinal George Pell, the Treasurer of the Church and a friend and colleague of the Pope, for child sexual abuse, click on 3ed Highest Ranked Vatican Leader, Cardinal George Pell Charged with Rape - YouTube

How long can you avoid the truth?

Mole the truth is that bad people do bad things and I've been aware of that all of my days.

When you going to give up trolling and get a life?

Mole

Permabanned
Mole the truth is that bad people do bad things and I've been aware of that all of my days.

When you going to give up trolling and get a life?

What we have discovered is that it is not the lone individual doing bad things, but it is the institution that provides the bad values and the protection for bad things to be done. This has been found by both the Irish Judicial Enquiry and the Australian Royal Commission. And you only have to attend the Slavery Museum and the Holocaust Museum to discover this for yourself. And soon we may have a Museum of Child Sexual Abuse.

The problem is we identify with our institution and so turn a blind eye to bad things.

Lark

What we have discovered is that it is not the lone individual doing bad things, but it is the institution that provides the bad values and the protection for bad things to be done. This has been found by both the Irish Judicial Enquiry and the Australian Royal Commission. And you only have to attend the Slavery Museum and the Holocaust Museum to discover this for yourself. And soon we may have a Museum of Child Sexual Abuse.

The problem is we identify with our institution and so turn a blind eye to bad things.

Sectarianism went out of fashion long ago Mole. No matter how much you'd like it to make a come back it isnt going to happen.