• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Child Sexual Abuse and Catholicism

Mole

Permabanned
The Treasurer of the Roman Catholic Church, Cardinal George Pell, has just been charged with multiple counts of child sexual abuse by the Prosecutor and the Police of Victoria, Australia.

The Roman Catholic Church has betrayed children at the worst possible psychological level in order to protect the reputation of their Church.

Yet still parents send their children to Catholic schools because they provide cheap private school education. The Catholic Church provides cheap private school education in order to indoctrinate children into worshipping their God, called the Trinity with three persons in one God, in other words, a three headed God.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mole do you assert anything positive, or do you just acccuse those things you find negative?

Atomic Fiend

He's doing his best to arouse a strong emotional response so he has an active, fulfilling discussion.

I mean there are less low hanging fruit to pick but he chose this one so...

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's doing his best to arouse a strong emotional response so he has an active, fulfilling discussion.

If you read his posts around the forum, he is fixated with accusing certain things, namely the MBTI, Catholicism, Trump, new technologies, there are few others but the point is he focuses on those things, and nothing else. When discussing MBTI, I asked him what he thought about me rejecting MBTI in favor of socionics, and he didn't even respond, nor does he ever mention enneagram for instance. It's like there's nothing wrong with criticizing any of these things in and of itself, but when your thinking is so compartamentalized that you don't enough notice anything similar in concept to those things you are fixated on, it makes me actually wonder what school of thought he belongs to, what his thinking infleunces are, his thinking isn't random shit he spews, it's very mechanical.

I also feel like he never places emphasis on what should be focused on, just on what is negative, but you're probably right that it's done to stimulate discussion.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you read his posts around the forum, he is fixated with accusing certain things, namely the MBTI, Catholicism, Trump, new technologies, there are few others but the point is he focuses on those things, and nothing else. When discussing MBTI, I asked him what he thought about me rejecting MBTI in favor of socionics, and he didn't even respond, nor does he ever mention enneagram for instance. It's like there's nothing wrong with criticizing any of these things in and of itself, but when your thinking is so compartamentalized that you don't enough notice anything similar in concept to those things you are fixated on, it makes me actually wonder what school of thought he belongs to, what his thinking infleunces are, his thinking isn't random shit he spews, it's very mechanical.

I also feel like he never places emphasis on what should be focused on, just on what is negative, but you're probably right that it's done to stimulate discussion.

At this point, it pretty much just stimulates active ignoring.
Aside from the few folks who get frustrated enough to ask him why he does this all the time.
... and so the cycle continues.

There's a lot the Catholic Church hierarchy does need to answer for in regards to this kind of thing, but these threads seem to just be about a hatchet job.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Treasurer of the Roman Catholic Church, Cardinal George Pell, has just been charged with multiple counts of child sexual abuse by the Prosecutor and the Police of Victoria, Australia.

I'm surprised he will face charges.

The Roman Catholic Church has betrayed children at the worst possible psychological level in order to protect the reputation of their Church.

Yes. There is no doubt.

Yet still parents send their children to Catholic schools because they provide cheap private school education. The Catholic Church provides cheap private school education

You're speaking of a personal preference. I happen to agree. Personally, I wouldn't send my child to a religious school, even though I am religious but most certainly not a Catholic school. This is not due to those who teach there who are representing their faith respectively and living in accordance to its ethics but because it only takes one monster hiding in their midst to do massive damage. Adding to this, and what is driving my personal decision is that there has been shown there is no protection from above for any children who are victimized.

Until the Catholic Church PROACTIVELY and TRANSPARENTLY hands over the files on these abusers, stops silencing it's victims or buying them off, hiding perpetrators - there is real danger to children.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Yet still parents send their children to Catholic schools because they provide cheap private school education. The Catholic Church provides cheap private school education in order to indoctrinate children into worshipping their God, called the Trinity with three persons in one God, in other words, a three headed God.

Catholicism has always had its critics, because of its actions as a presiding body over a religion, as the religion itself, or even for what it represents and how its perceived by people. As democratic as the free world is, Catholism really is sort of this remainng vestige from the past, a monarchy of a belief system rather than of a political system, isn't it? It's sort of this "bastion of tradition", a stronghold against liberalism in some regards. Though, with the move of the Catholic Church to bring to power, a new pope, one from Argentina rather than from Italy, and one with more contemporary views, it is obvious the church is also aware of its image and the need to reform certain aspects of itself if it wishes to remain relevant.

Why I bring the above up though, is why I remain hesitant to jumping on the bandwagon of dismantling the Catholic Church piece by piece, and on a larger scale, religion, as an attempt to question its relativity within our contemporary society. Certainly, I hold the Catholic Church and the clergy and members associated, to the same laws and scrutiny as the common man, and my own personal relationship with Catholicism has undergone various stages throughout my life, but I am skeptical as to where the issue here truly lies? I don't doubt there is child sexual abuse, but just as I don't doubt there is child sexual abuse within other areas of society. I also do not doubt there are cover-ups to protect their image, as is the case with other instances where socially unacceptable acts are committed in other areas of society. My point being, and skepticism here, is if the charges and accusations against the Catholc church are not ALSO tied in to this growing trend against religion and people of faith. Other religions may face their own issues with the public image, but since the Catholc Church is the largest within the Christian faith, why NOT go for the jugular?

The religious are constantly mocked for having little intelligence, of blindly following a belief, etc. Such common "jokes" and jabs are not merely casual, but are meant to denegrate and subject groups of people to a status beneath those that are not religious.

All the above, is where I come from on this issue, and again, is why I am hesitant here in placing judgement on the faith, rather than on those that commit these horrific acts.

Mole

Permabanned
At this point, it pretty much just stimulates active ignoring.
Aside from the few folks who get frustrated enough to ask him why he does this all the time.
... and so the cycle continues.

There's a lot the Catholic Church hierarchy does need to answer for in regards to this kind of thing, but these threads seem to just be about a hatchet job.

Ever since I was invited to join Typology Central by the moderator, Geoff, I have been subject to character assassination. This is plainly a group neurosis that needs to be analysed, evaluated, and integrated into our understanding of ourselves.

It is of interest that Dr Sigmund Freud was also subject to character assassination by the medical establishment, and was driven out of his home, and out of his country, and made a refugee, and his extended family murdered, by the political establishment.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm surprised he will face charges.

Yes. There is no doubt.

You're speaking of a personal preference. I happen to agree. Personally, I wouldn't send my child to a religious school, even though I am religious but most certainly not a Catholic school. This is not due to those who teach there who are representing their faith respectively and living in accordance to its ethics but because it only takes one monster hiding in their midst to do massive damage. Adding to this, and what is driving my personal decision is that there has been shown there is no protection from above for any children who are victimized.

Until the Catholic Church PROACTIVELY and TRANSPARENTLY hands over the files on these abusers, stops silencing it's victims or buying them off, hiding perpetrators - there is real danger to children.

There is almost no danger to children in from Catholic priests in prosperous countries with the rule of law after the nine year Judicial Enquiry into child abuse in Ireland, and the National Royal Commission into child abuse in Australia. However there remains danger to children in impoverished countries with little or no rule of law such as the Philippines or South America or parts of Asia and Africa.

Mole

Permabanned
Interesting.

Including one of rape.
The Pope’s Pedophile?

What we have discovered is the enormous psychological damage done to children by sexual abuse.

And what is disturbing on Typology Central is that psychological damage is taken for granted here, and is treated as a joke. Typology Central encourages psychological abuse and neurosis.

Certainly Typology Central is a safe place: a safe place for neurosis.

Mole

Permabanned
Mole do you assert anything positive, or do you just acccuse those things you find negative?

Focusing on the person rather than the issue is a sign of acting out, it is a sign that you wish to act out your psychodrama in public here, and you wish to recruit me as an actor in your psychodrama.

This is plainly an active neurosis, and the fact is we don't provide therapy here, however qualified psychotherapists are skilled in understanding neurosis and neurotics.

Mole

Permabanned

After 18,000 posts it is obvious I do not share your background, nor do I share your values, so it is of some credit to the moderators that they protect my right to free speech here. However we remember it was a moderator who invited me here and the moderators who keep me here.

So I have no need to be popular, and I'm not.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After 18,000 posts it is obvious I do not share your background, nor do I share your values, so it is of some credit to the moderators that they protect my right to free speech here. However we remember it was a moderator who invited me here and the moderators who keep me here.

So I have no need to be popular, and I'm not.

One thing: Since when posts count is so relevant?

Mole

Permabanned
We learn from our mistakes and Dr Sigmund Freud made a signal mistake about child sexual abuse.

Dr Freud discovered that much neurosis was caused by child sexual abuse, but when Dr Freud reported this to the medical establishment, he was howled down. And as a result Dr Freud changed his mind and said that child sexual abuse was the fantasy of children. It was a signal mistake.

And this attitude to child sexual abuse was held by society right up to the nine year Judicial Enquiry into child abuse in Ireland and to the National Royal Commission into child abuse in Australia.

But now things have changed and our Federal Police prosecute child sexual abuse not only in Australia but also overseas. And indeed our Victorian Police have laid charges of child abuse against one of the most powerful men in the Roman Catholic Church, Cardinal George Pell.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is almost no danger to children in from Catholic priests in prosperous countries with the rule of law after the nine year Judicial Enquiry into child abuse in Ireland, and the National Royal Commission into child abuse in Australia. However there remains danger to children in impoverished countries with little or no rule of law such as the Philippines or South America or parts of Asia and Africa.

I know you hate the US, so I understand why you wouldn't include them. By the way, this was prominent in many prosperous countries. The church even sent accused priests overseas. Moved them country to country. Parish to parish.

I have more issue with the knowing organization and obstruction of justice and overt protection of these abusers at very high levels with no ownership or firings. In fact, promotions have been handed out.

I don't see any contrition. Corruption is corruption, secular or otherwise.

Mole

Permabanned
I know you hate the US, so I understand why you wouldn't include them. By the way, this was prominent in many prosperous countries. The church even sent accused priests overseas. Moved them country to country. Parish to parish.

I have more issue with the knowing organization and obstruction of justice and overt protection of these abusers at very high levels with no ownership or firings. In fact, promotions have been handed out.

I don't see any contrition. Corruption is corruption, secular or otherwise.

I don't hate the USA. I have had three American girlfriends, so you might say I have learnt to speak American on the pillow. Also I have read the comparative history of America and Australia which illuminates both the history and culture of both countries. And for the last 100 years we have fought beside the USA in every major conflict. And we have already joined you fighting in the Philippines just today. And both countries share the best Intelligence Service in the world, the Five Eyes: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Britain, and the USA.

And its got nothing to do with contrition, now our Australian Federal Police actively hunt and prosecute child sexual abusers here and overseas. Perhaps one of our members is not a thirteen year old girl but a large middle-aged policeman.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Focusing on the person rather than the issue is a sign of acting out, it is a sign that you wish to act out your psychodrama in public here, and you wish to recruit me as an actor in your psychodrama.

This is plainly an active neurosis, and the fact is we don't provide therapy here, however qualified psychotherapists are skilled in understanding neurosis and neurotics.

you have eighteen thousand posts of psychodrama. And a bunch of free time, it seems.

Mole

Permabanned
you have eighteen thousand posts of psychodrama. And a bunch of free time, it seems.

The Ancient Greeks regarded leisure as the highest good, and work was only fit for slaves. And the Ancient Greeks gave us philosophy, mathematics, science, great plays, sculpture, architecture, democracy, the Christian Bible, and the understanding that the Gods are natural forces. All done in leisure without a lick of work.