• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hand Held God

Mole

Permabanned
From 300,000 years ago we have had a God of the Hearth in our huts. The God of the Hearth was usually a small statue, and with our bicameral mind we heard the voice of the Hearth God. And as our village grew so we had a bigger hut in the middle of the village holding the Village God, whose voice we all heard. And as we grew bigger so did our God, to become a tribal God, a multi-tribal God, and the God of a Nation, and finally a universal mono-theistic God. But we remember we started with the God of the Hearth, who we could hold in our hand.

And today I look around me and see everyone communing with a hand held God, in the bus, on the street, at dinner, even in bed at night. Yes, we have returned to our origins with a hand held God which we call the mobile phone, which we can hear, just as we heard our God of the Hearth.

And we recall that whatever we behold, we become. And as we are all beholding our mobile phones, what are we becoming?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lol this makes Frederick Neitszche's quote "God is Dead" quite modern..

aww man my phone died

Mole

Permabanned
Lol this makes Frederick Neitszche's quote "God is Dead" quite modern..

aww man my phone died

Yes, Fred's God is dead refers to the death of the God of the Book, and all around us, wherever we look, we see the hand held God, the mobile phone.

Mole

Permabanned
The God of the Book requires faith, while the hand held God whispers in our ear.

Our very first hand held God, the God of the Hearth, whispered in our ear 300,000 years ago, and our hand held God of today, the mobile phone, still whispers in our ear. We have no need for faith in our hand held God, because we can hear the voice of our God in our own ear. So the Age of Faith is now the content of the Age of direct aural experience.

And naturally in the Age of Faith we argue about the existence of a God that requires faith, but in the Age of the hand held God, no one argues about the existence of God because we can hear the voice of God ourselves.

And although everyone from the Kalahari desert to New York is glued to their mobile phone, we don't realise we are communing with our God.

We don't realise that whatever we worship, we become. We don't wonder what we are becoming. Yet our hand held God reaches in below consciousness and changes us without our knowing, we all sing the love song of J. Alfred Prufrock -

LET us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient etherized upon a table;
Let us go, through certain half-deserted streets,
The muttering retreats
Of restless nights in one-night cheap hotels
And sawdust restaurants with oyster-shells:
Streets that follow like a tedious argument
Of insidious intent
To lead you to an overwhelming question ...
Oh, do not ask, "What is it?"

Listen to the hand.

Lark

Mole you should watch American Gods on Amazon Prime I'd say you'd get a real kick out of it.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And we recall that whatever we behold, we become. And as we are all beholding our mobile phones, what are we becoming?

A mobile phone? If we become what we behold, and we behold our phones, we are becoming our phones.

Mole

Permabanned
A mobile phone? If we become what we behold, and we behold our phones, we are becoming our phones.

To answer, we are becoming our phones is a literal interpretation. I find this hard to respond to because it is so impoverished.

When I speak of the hand held God, I am speaking metaphorically, I am engaging in abstract thinking, I am engaging in a rich and educated way of thinking. To respond with such poverty is beyond sad, it invites an equally impoverished response, and plainly comes from an impoverished background, where such intellectual poverty is taken for granted, and worse, they take a perverse pride in their poverty.

Such pride in poverty is also part of a national tradition, that has produced a political party called The Know Nothing Party. It is the anti-intellectualism of the industrial working class, who diss what they don't understand, and who are so deluded they elect a billionaire host of a fantasy TV program to represent their interests.

Beorn

Permabanned
To answer, we are becoming our phones is a literal interpretation. I find this hard to respond to because it is so impoverished.

When I speak of the hand held God, I am speaking metaphorically, I am engaging in abstract thinking, I am engaging in a rich and educated way of thinking. To respond with such poverty is beyond sad, it invites an equally impoverished response, and plainly comes from an impoverished background, where such intellectual poverty is taken for granted, and worse, they take a perverse pride in their poverty.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

0.gif

tenor.gif

Mole

Permabanned

It would be nice to think we would address the issue rather than the person. But the fact is we come here with unfinished business and we need to drag others into our psychodrama.

It would be nice to think we could make use of this by interpreting the psychodramas, but we don't provide therapy.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Such pride in poverty is also part of a national tradition, that has produced a political party called The Know Nothing Party. It is the anti-intellectualism of the industrial working class, who diss what they don't understand, and who are so deluded they elect a billionaire host of a fantasy TV program to represent their interests.

I'm glad you know so much about me to label me an anti-intellectual member of the working class, and a Trump supporter.

My post was a a bit of humor. But humor doesn't seem to fly with you.

I did not make a literal "interpretation" of your post, I was poking fun at it, you're the one who took my post literally, and appearantly you know more about me than I do. I know your post was metaphorical, but sometimes you need to be reminded not to take yourself so seriously.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OH MY GOD HAHAHAHHAHAHA.
Mole, dude, you're unbelievable.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mole is mean.

I wouldn't say mean, just needs to take himeself a bit less seriously. When I read his post, my jaw dropped (not literally, but you get my point), not because I was offended, I wasn't but because it's so far from the truth and he clearly knows nothing about me, and was clearly just mad about something I wrote which rubbed him the wrong way.

I have no idea how to dialogue with him, however.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't say mean, just needs to take himeself a bit less seriously. When I read his post, my jaw dropped (not literally, but you get my point), not because I was offended, I wasn't but because it's so far from the truth and he clearly knows nothing about me, and was clearly just mad about something I wrote which rubbed him the wrong way.

You shouldn't worry about him, he is always saying plenty of nonsense shit that no one cares about.

rvfvclv

awkward
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8

It seems like no one does. I've seen this kind of thing happen before.

Mole

Permabanned
Mole is mean.

Turn your attention from mean Mole to the hand held God. For whatever we behold, we become. And if you continue to behold Mole, I hardly need tell you what you will become. But if you decide to behold the topic, the hand held God, you might become something more interesting.

Ashtart

Obliviously Mad
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Turn your attention from mean Mole to the hand held God. For whatever we behold, we become. And if you continue to behold Mole, I hardly need tell you what you will become. But if you decide to behold the topic, the hand held God, you might become something more interesting.

Statue of liber-TV, aliens have hand-held, humans vacuums! Maybe you can get away in your Ferrari! No? Maybe try your Mecerdes! Maybe not!