• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is life not fair?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My problem is a complete lack of ambition. I'm happy just reading books and eating ramen noodles. Perhaps a lack of unfairness had something to do with that; I don't know. Maybe if I were raised in Detroit, I'd have a bigger chip on my shoulder and be more motivated.

well, cant see that lack of ambition from over here....

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
It's exceedingly obvious that this person means fairness in the sense that I meant it, and not in the frivolous, analytic way you mean it. And from what has been gathered about that poster, I'm betting they aren't generally the kind of person you'd call an "equal outcomes" person in terms of ideology or political platforms.

It's also exceedingly obvious that you weren't initially addressing the content of the op, but rather the more fundamental question of the thread's title:

But serious answer to the thread title...

The content of the OP can be reduced to the same basic and juvenile philosophy you share; "there is no blanket fairness of outcome in humanity entire from my own personal moral subjective standard." You two actually have something in common. Congratulations.

If I cared to get 'frivolous and analytical' with the OP, I'd tell them that the reason there's no fairness between the kid in north korea and someone in America is because those are two different systems of rules and so cannot be compared. Same with people who engage the world with different moral codes; shitty and manipulative, or truthful and overlooked. If you want a fair measure against someone who is shitty and manipulative you yourself have to become shitty and manipulative; metaphorical implication of the phrase 'fight fire with fire.'

And this right here is where it pays to have an accurate and detailed understanding of the relationship between fairness and formal systems; as it can then be wielded to affect dynamic internal change in the individual to better compete in various avenues of life.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Because, life just isn't. Life is a mystery, of sorts, I don't know. I don't think I have a real answer. Things just happen and I don't know if there's fates or not that happen. I like to think fate does happen, in some cases. And in some cases it's luck, or whatever. Bad luck or good luck, good fate or bad fate.

Mole

Permabanned
There is no such thing as luck, and if we understand statistics we can calculate the chances of something happening with exquisite accuracy.

Those who believe in luck also believe in lottery tickets, astrology, romance, and mbti.

Our most accurate fact is quantum mechanics which is based on statistics, and much of life is based on statistics, but rather than becoming numerate, we prefer luck.