• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you walk your talk?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd be extremely interested if people live up to the principles they profess to follow. For example "Feed the poor." Do those who don't wish to pay a mere 3% extra in taxes follow this doctrine? "Do not judge." But do we not judge when on late TV people make fun of people's foibles and life mistakes? What kind of precedent do we set and what kind of example do we set?

"Who are we to judge mere mortals when judgment is mine alone sayeth the lord."

When we politically bicker over those we disagree with and condemn the opposing party, who are we? Does it not say that true wisdom comes from within and that if something externally bothers us it is a reflection of an internal problem? Why can't we use 1. simple debate style in political circles 2. stick to objective facts and not 3. succumb to emotional infantile reasoning, labels, judgment and disparagement?

"A philosophy which I've as choice took as my life journey is and has its roots in: Jesus teaching peace, Buddhism, as well the cognitive theory in a psychology orientation, these are primary; but it happens be my insight as well much knowledge which i have thus assimilated. I am fully aware, philosophy can and possesses some change. Each ladder on a progression to an enlightening state purchase more wisdom; loving nature and on it goes.
I've always thought with a concept: and fixing a standard that if it were allowed fruition-would have a chance to bring a little peace in our way of life. Obviously this is what I personally aspire to. I don't always get it right. Also I am or can be a realist. I will defend myself, but I will use the least amount of energy/force/act necessary. A PATH / A KEY / A WAY are, is, is to follow the golden rule by:

Do not think negative thoughts, but deal with the situation rationally.

Do not speak with negative energy. It is a reflection of you & not the other.

Do not act negatively, but react realistically with the proper restraint even if negative energy is directed at you. Now we influence each other with positive or negative energy.

In this universe for every action there is an equal reaction. So the natural tendency is to repay negative energy with more negative energy. This feels very good and we feel self- righteous about it. After all the other is in the wrong and not us. In our mind the other is blind and does evil, immoral, wrong words or actions. But the key is that it is irrelevant to one's path. The key is that being negative in even the slightest is a true reflection of self and not the other. The other's path is their destiny.

Perhaps they were sent here to test our mettle in the face of crisis or misfortunes, thus there is a chance with growth if we only but bend our own beliefs to embrace a truer reality. Now this next part coming is partly from cognitive behavior principles. A key is that if we have a negative emotion, we are ruled by a distortion. The external even triggered:

A. What is in us waiting to come to the surface in a testing moment.
B. Triggered or own unfinished childhood issues and emotions
C. We are reacting in a lesser manner.

We are reacting against ghosts from the past that this moment has triggered so that we can grow and move on to the path of self-actualization. That is if we choose the higher road and We need endeavor to act maturely and with restraint. If I hurt you, I hurt myself, perhaps not noticeably, but I missed an opportunity for growth. If we do not sink to the others level. Perhaps it will take longer for them on the path of life to mature, reflect, and with insight grow. If we think, speak, or act in a negative manner then the opportunity is lost.

The message is lost, but it will undoubtedly reappear until you learn the lesson about you. This moment in space and time was brought together for you to learn this valuable lesson of self, in order to grow and actualize. Do not throw this precious moment away by reacting with your baser instincts. Reach, grow, become. Reach for this inner learning. Grow with this wisdom and become what you were meant to be. I do believe in what’s of the nature (1) Transparency, (2) Free Will (That is no one person should try and impose their view to your being. (3) Independence in our walking path or way and each person has a different path.”

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The talk's the ideal, anyway.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't really look at this like the OP word salad. What I do hold important is that I follow some simple standards. I give people straight answers. I don't play games or bullshit. I give back in many places that have helped me in the past or that I feel does important work. I feel that every person can work to make things better. Not in some idyllic fantasy way, but real solid tangible ways. I don't think you need religion or spirituality to accomplish these things, in fact I think they can inhibit walking the walk. So I don't subscribe - I just do what I can where I can.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I try but who knows?

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
Sometimes. XD but my mind often changes every time. Lol. Sometimes i like this then i like another.....

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I talk my walk, i come first and words follow

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not nearly as much as I ought too

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For the most part, I do, at least on the important things. I place a high value on setting a good example rather than trying to tell others what they ought to do. Let them see what I do, and if they think it might work for them, they can try it themselves. I am especially willing to volunteer in areas that are important to me, and to donate to causes aligned with my values.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
For most people the conditional nature of changing circumstances and immediate imperceptible changes in their experiences of the world means that it's very difficult to adhere to a set of stable principals.

Doesn't mean a person shouldn't try. But I think at some point the majority of us are faced with situations where we cannot help but be hypocrites. Although that's a convenient argument because it's like saying "and for those who have never been tested in this way....". I do however have a large amount of heuristic evidence of the daily hypocrisies, or breaking of principal, we commit on a general basis. Just my experience though.

It boils down to seriously considering your principals and what you can and cannot walk the walk to. I'm largely talk though.

PS: Also try not to trap yourself into holding principals that will only let you get taken advantage of by those with a different set (or lack of) principals. Remember that you chose something, over their destructive nihilism of nothing because it was too hard.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see morality as being defined by what a person chooses to do and not by what they say. I care a lot about consistency and take it hard when I'm not, so I make an effort to correct any inconsistency I'm aware of in my behavior. I also try to live by basic principles and deal with the complexities of life by viewing morality on a continuum just like any other continuum in the universe. I try to stay as close to the positive and constructive as any situation allows.

I find that response to violence and threat to be a difficult area of morality for me, and I haven't settled on a consistent mindset and resulting behavior. I value the Buddhist detachment and non-violence in a number of ways, but also feel that creatures have a right to defend their own lives even with mortal force. I didn't kill the black widow that bit me and have no regrets because it was just a little life trying to exist, but I also know of violent humans I wish no longer lived because they pose mortal threat to others and they do it by choice. There is some consistency in my morality here based on culpability of harm and the right to eliminate it, but I could be inconsistent if forced to be applied to specific scenarios because I don't really have the answers.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I try my best to live by what I like to say. I dont really talk much about woulds and shoulds and that sort of thing as I see no point in it. I just try to be a positive influence on those around me and thats enough to make me feel good .

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not fully consistent in my principles and I'm not really ashamed to say that. I do try very hard, but sometimes I just end up being a hypocrite. I also assume most people are like that. It doesn't mean we should ever give up on the principles, I think. I'm still figuring this out :)

theflame

Permabanned
I'd be extremely interested if people live up to the principles they profess to follow. For example "Feed the poor." Do those who don't wish to pay a mere 3% extra in taxes follow this doctrine? "Do not judge." But do we not judge when on late TV people make fun of people's foibles and life mistakes? What kind of precedent do we set and what kind of example do we set?

"Who are we to judge mere mortals when judgment is mine alone sayeth the lord."

When we politically bicker over those we disagree with and condemn the opposing party, who are we? Does it not say that true wisdom comes from within and that if something externally bothers us it is a reflection of an internal problem? Why can't we use 1. simple debate style in political circles 2. stick to objective facts and not 3. succumb to emotional infantile reasoning, labels, judgment and disparagement?

"A philosophy which I've as choice took as my life journey is and has its roots in: Jesus teaching peace, Buddhism, as well the cognitive theory in a psychology orientation, these are primary; but it happens be my insight as well much knowledge which i have thus assimilated. I am fully aware, philosophy can and possesses some change. Each ladder on a progression to an enlightening state purchase more wisdom; loving nature and on it goes.
I've always thought with a concept: and fixing a standard that if it were allowed fruition-would have a chance to bring a little peace in our way of life. Obviously this is what I personally aspire to. I don't always get it right. Also I am or can be a realist. I will defend myself, but I will use the least amount of energy/force/act necessary. A PATH / A KEY / A WAY are, is, is to follow the golden rule by:

Do not think negative thoughts, but deal with the situation rationally.

Do not speak with negative energy. It is a reflection of you & not the other.

Do not act negatively, but react realistically with the proper restraint even if negative energy is directed at you. Now we influence each other with positive or negative energy.

In this universe for every action there is an equal reaction. So the natural tendency is to repay negative energy with more negative energy. This feels very good and we feel self- righteous about it. After all the other is in the wrong and not us. In our mind the other is blind and does evil, immoral, wrong words or actions. But the key is that it is irrelevant to one's path. The key is that being negative in even the slightest is a true reflection of self and not the other. The other's path is their destiny.

Perhaps they were sent here to test our mettle in the face of crisis or misfortunes, thus there is a chance with growth if we only but bend our own beliefs to embrace a truer reality. Now this next part coming is partly from cognitive behavior principles. A key is that if we have a negative emotion, we are ruled by a distortion. The external even triggered:

A. What is in us waiting to come to the surface in a testing moment.
B. Triggered or own unfinished childhood issues and emotions
C. We are reacting in a lesser manner.

We are reacting against ghosts from the past that this moment has triggered so that we can grow and move on to the path of self-actualization. That is if we choose the higher road and We need endeavor to act maturely and with restraint. If I hurt you, I hurt myself, perhaps not noticeably, but I missed an opportunity for growth. If we do not sink to the others level. Perhaps it will take longer for them on the path of life to mature, reflect, and with insight grow. If we think, speak, or act in a negative manner then the opportunity is lost.

The message is lost, but it will undoubtedly reappear until you learn the lesson about you. This moment in space and time was brought together for you to learn this valuable lesson of self, in order to grow and actualize. Do not throw this precious moment away by reacting with your baser instincts. Reach, grow, become. Reach for this inner learning. Grow with this wisdom and become what you were meant to be. I do believe in what’s of the nature (1) Transparency, (2) Free Will (That is no one person should try and impose their view to your being. (3) Independence in our walking path or way and each person has a different path.”

Yep, that's what I hate about these protestors. They've never volunteered in their lives. They only protested when they felt like they were losing something. I've always taken part in volunteering for the church and non-profit organizations. All of these wannabe do gooders haven't done shit unless it was their own rights they thought were taken away. That's why I dislike most people. They do not walk the walk. They speak a good talk, yet don't follow through.

Larix

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There is not one person out there who isn't a hypocrite in some sense. One thing I'm trying to do less of is talk about my principles as though I have "arrived" somewhere. The attitude that says "well, that's it, I've got that whole part of my life sorted out!" is where hypocrisy can be strongest, because we a people (or at least, I myself) have stopped looking for places where the walk doesn't match up with the talk. I do believe that pride is the core of hypocrisy. When I'm able to remain humble (which is hardly ever, btw), I can look my BS right in the eye, call myself on it, tell other people how hypocritical I've been, apologize, and try to do better in the future to whatever extent that may be. In order to walk your talk, you'd need to see the future, psychoanalyze your future self, and meta-analyze your future circumstances, and then formulate a plan to respond exactly the right way every moment of every day to ensure you weren't being a hypocrite, either actively or passively. Seems pretty impossible to me.

Instead, I think I'm just going to stop making absolute statements about what I "always" or "never" do, and hope that I have the humility to recognize that, yeah, I'm definitely gonna mess up- even if I'm trying my best not to. I guess it comes down to whether or not I put in the effort- both now, and in the future.

theflame

Permabanned
The biggest hypocrites are the liberals. They are supposed to be the party that accepts everyone supposedly "compassionate" yet all they have shown is how vile they are toward anyone that disagrees with them. They act like they're hypocritical humanitarians accepting third world country illegals blah blah blah while they break the law to get those illegals in who weren't registered in the US.

á´…eparted

passages
I'm a 1w2. This is like, my everything. I've actually caused more problems for myself by being principled and sticking to my word than not.

Lark

Yep, that's what I hate about these protestors. They've never volunteered in their lives. They only protested when they felt like they were losing something. I've always taken part in volunteering for the church and non-profit organizations. All of these wannabe do gooders haven't done shit unless it was their own rights they thought were taken away. That's why I dislike most people. They do not walk the walk. They speak a good talk, yet don't follow through.

You hate people you've not met and dislike most people, who I guess you've not met either, interesting.

How do you find the volunteering? Does it involve many of the people you dont like? Must be difficult for you.