• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Music + Spirituality

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love music whether instrumentals or with lyrics but I listen to instrumental music more, honestly. I just like to be lost in the flow and rhythm. In the moment. When it comes to music anyway.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you find an inner journey through music?

Whether it be through lyrics or the sounds?

Please share your "spiritual" music:

I'll get started.
Yes to finding a spiritual dimension in music. I listen to music and also play. Perhaps because I am an instrumentalist, I usually find more meaning in the music itself than the words. This comes through in instrumental pieces, obviously, but also songs written in other languages. I know people who won't listen to vocal music in languages they don't know, but there is so much in the music itself that they are missing.

Some examples:

My current profile video

A piece that has always spoken to me very directly and personally:

One of my favorite singers:

My favorite composer:

My second favorite composer:

Something more recent:

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I find these so surreal,
Something I admire but afraid to appraoch,
Because I know I'll get influenced and pehaps even lost.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
The only nonlyrical music that I genuinely appreciate as some kind of "yes, I know precisely what this is about", is Shosty's fifth symphony. And not in a spiritual manner, except for maybe Largo. There's things that are beautiful, but I wouldn't consider them spiritual either.

Spirituality for me is much more concrete and has a conceptual component to it best expressed by words. Music is artificial; I define spirituality differently. You get a distinct feel of "spirituality" in gregorian chants and middle age music, but it is important to remmeber that these are fundamentally part of christendom and has nothing to do with any possibility of being transcendental; what they express si nothing but a yearning for the transcendental and a projection towards it. Feeling is only a partial aspect of spirituality; sometimes it goes beyond both feeling and logic, back towards the primordial state of being.

So no, I guess I aleady have pre-defined notions of spirituality based on philosophical inquiries, and what I like best tend to be things that concretely express things as a concept. Take for instance: They set the mood and provide a path, serve as a reminder, etc.

Link explaining the fibonacci sequence in this song.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Play this at my funeral as my body sails off on a flaming viking ship

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually prefer instrumental music to songs with actual lyrics. I don't really associate spirituality with music but a some good music can help me feel less tired. I also like having music in the background while doing other activities so song lyrics actually distract more than aid. I usually always have something playing though these days, I've been getting more into classical music.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While there's tons of music I feel a personal and emotional connection to, there are only a handful of songs that have an effect on me I would describe as spiritual.

Both music and lyrics can be important, but music more so because it alone can both suggest a concept (in an even more subjective and malleable way than lyrics) and cause it to sink in both emotionally and on a more formless level of perception, which moves it beyond a mere mental concept to something that I can really connect to, that feels like my spiritual truth. When the music moves me but says something to me that the lyrics don't, I just ignore the lyrics. Even when the lyrics do matter to me, they are usually more supplementary - when I pay attention to them they help shape the meaning of the song to me, but ultimately the music has a lot to say by itself and is what actually takes me somewhere and that helps the "truth" sink in deeply by making it more emotionally immediate.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Holy shit why am I tagged in this feel fest cliche thread. Huh, the ENTP posting The Prodigy, the ENTJ and NIN, oh and what do we have here, an IxFP likes Bjork and Radiohead. Any INFJs wanna toss up a Death Cab For Cutie video real quick? Maybe an ESFP can add a little Britney to the mix while we're at it.

I do love music and all but I'm not biting on this thread, nobody actually gives a crap anyway honestly.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

^ This one hit me pretty hard, even though it's kinda cheesy and repetitive

^ also this, I don't know who is actually talking over the music but I like it