• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Unforgivable Sins

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is anything unforgivable?

Why?

What puts it in that category while other flaws or actions can be forgiven?

Just curious! :)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Why?

Nothing.
The forgiveness is in the forgiver, not in the deed forgiven.

Mole

Permabanned
Despair

Why?

The only unforgivable sin is the sin against the Holy Spirit.

And the sin against the Holy Spirit is despair.

However the sin of accidie is akin to despair.

And unfortunately the sin of accidie is expressed today in depression.

And depression is one of the most common sins of today.

But the greatest trick pulled by Satan was to persuade us that depression is not a sin.

And so it has become an epidemic.

Even the DSM-IV says that Depression is accompanied by delusions. But Depression is accompanied by the most subtle of delusions, and they are emotional delusions.

And emotional delusiions are so subtle they are easy to deny. And how natural it is for a depressed person to react violently to be told they are suffering from a delusion. No matter that delusions are real - they are real delusions.

And of course the essence of sin is deception and denial.

Sin is so ugly it is necessary to deny its very existence.

But all sins can be forgiven except despair because the despairing refuse to ask for forgiveness.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I dont believe in "sin" as defined in religious terms. But if by sin you mean crime then rape is the only unforgivable sin.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Nothing.
The forgiveness is in the forgiver, not in the deed forgiven.

I agree.

Likewise, when many people say forgiveness, what they mean is that they won't punish or retaliate...not necessarily that they forgive.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
If forgiveness is in the forgiver, then the only unforgivable sin is murder, because the victim cannot forgive from the grave.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
What about murder?

It would depend on the reasons. Would I murder a 6 year old boy cause he robbed my store of roughly 5 dollars of chocolate, no. Would I murder (and quite slowly) the man who rapes said boy, every day of the week.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
For me personally, since wildcat hit the nail on the head when it comes to forgiveness.

There isn't a whole lot I won't forgive.. but there is plenty I will never forgive entirely, and there is still more I will never forget.

Rape is unforgivable. Raped someone recently? You're not on my friend's list.
You murder my family, consider yourself off my Top 8.
Things of magnitude like this are black and white for me..

..But you do provoke my thought process on smaller things.. Like.. when someone lies to me something dramatic.. do I ever really forgive them? Does the whole "Forgive but don't forget." philosophy count? I mean, I probably won't trust that person as far as I could throw them.. but it's not enough to make me burn the bridge yet.

So I guess unforgiving acts, for me, would be something severe enough for me to never want to talk to you again.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
The only sin I would have difficulty forgiving would be taking the gift of self I have been given and trashing it.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
But, I understand that whatever's intention for the thread was to find out which sins are unforgivable in the sense that they are too "bad" to forgive, not simply technically unforgivable.

Given that, I would not say that rape is always unforgivable. Forgiveness is a helpful coping mechanism for victims of sexual assault.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think first you need to figure out what constitutes forgiveness and then there's the matter of forgiveness by the victim vs. forgiveness by the rest of society.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I personally cant see how that helps someone, I know it does and that there are people out there who feel they cant move on from something till they forgive the person but I honestly dont see how this helps someone. And personaly if you forgive someone of such a thing then I now have less respect for you as tolerable human being.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think that idea of forgiveness being more for the one doing the forgiving than for the one who committed it is to free one from carrying resentment, rage, all the baggage that goes with not forgiving. That stuff can poison the one who carries it. In that sense then the person "has" you for life, not just one single act.