• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Boredom and anxiety, the modern condition?

Lark

I wonder if any forumers have experienced a mix of boredom and anxiety? Perhaps anxiety is the wrong term, dread maybe?

I've been looking into how to conceptualise this feeling and whether or not there's been much writing on it, I'm not sure its exactly the same as Satre's ideas about nausea, Camus' absurdity or N's optimistic nihilism, neither am I sure that anomie or alienation cut it either, the closest I think perhaps are some ideas from economics about marginal opportunity costs, I think I'm using the right terms there but not entirely sure, when you are paralysed from making a decision because doing so involves the automatic cost of the choice you did not make.

That's not the whole picture either but you know.

You could be bored but can not settle or relax with anything distracting, such as reading, because of the dread but then are doomed to experience the boredom.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anxiety can leave me a bit unfocused and paralyzed which leads to a kind of boredom. I always have stuff I want to do, but anxiety can shatter focus and give a sick physical feeling, so for me the cause-and-effect relationship between the two states is very clear. It never happens the other way around.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, they're not tied together for me. I experience an above average amount of anxiety and dread, but can't remember the last time I experienced boredom for more than a few seconds. There's always something to do.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I find motion, or a mirror of, creates new purpose.

If you don't know, then do and find out as you progress.

kotoshinohaisha

Permabanned
MBTI Type
STFU
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so
True. There's actually explanation for that..

Today's Youth Are Depressed, Here's Why... - YouTube

Technology :)

And it's been found that people before technology doesn't get bored as much as we do today. XD

Therefore, dropping off your mobile phone and facing real world isn't that boring at all because you can do alot of things aside from just facing your phone. XD