• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If God doesn't exist then how was everything/the earth created?

Mole

Permabanned
I am going to pop up on the other side now. OP's butchered rendition of the cosmological argument was horrible in every way, but I have a big issue with the "God is dead" approach to science. Now, I'm definitely not about to argue in favor of any kind of anthropomorphic or even conscious (in a way we would identify as such, at least) being pulling strings behind the universe. I just have to point out that science, while solving the great mysteries of ancient times, also continues to stumble upon even greater mysteries that go beyond what ancient peoples could have ever conceived. For example, we now know the science behind why the earth spits lava sometimes and why the ground shakes, but now we face even crazier questions like dark energy and quantum entanglement. There is a massive Holy Shit Factor there. When we solve those mysteries (if we ever do), there will probably come a point soon after where we will hit a solid wall simply due to our limited cognitive capacity as a species.

So I would argue, no, science has not killed God in the sense of unraveling the cosmic mystery or whatever. It's just made God a hell of a lot bigger. Too big to fit inside the human brain. You know how the myths go that seeing the Greek gods in their true forms would literally make your head explode? It's kind of like that. We're only beginning to poke and prod at the fundamental nature of existence, and already our heads are on the brink of exploding. Dark energy and quantum entanglement are not supernaturally caused; they are naturally caused. It's all there in the math. And that's what is so remarkable about them - they completely upend our entire established understanding of how the natural world works. These are profound mysteries! And what about black holes? They bend time and swallow light. They make the "miracles" of the biblical god look like party tricks.

So I reject all of these lame Gods. Any God that humans can comfortably grasp the concept of is certainly not the driving force of the universe. Sure, if we want to forego rigor, we can continue to use the term "God" as a flimsy designator for the great unknown at the root of all things, but at that point, it becomes a fairly meaningless term, since the concept is beyond our capacity to assign it any meaningful attributes. Sorry, folks, but the real God, whatever it is, is simply too big for your or me to ever understand, so forgive me if I'm not willing to stand here and let you tell me about how the same thing that gave rise to black holes and supernovae made a volcano erupt because it was mad at the gays, or whatever. This entire debate is a waste of time, since at the end of the day, nobody knows what "God" is, but whatever it is, it definitely doesn't mesh with any scriptures, and it DEFINITELY doesn't give a damn about you. What science killed was arrogant dogmas, and good riddance.

'God is dead' is a metaphor with a meaning. And it means that the God of the Book is dead.