• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill Nye Reconsiders Philosophy

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now we just have to get Neil deGrasse Tyson on the late bus.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't understand how someone could be against philosophy in general in the first place.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
During his debate with Ken Ham of the Creation Museum, he did say that one piece of actual evidence would change his mind about creationism:

It's cool how he as a scientist is more than willing to reevaluate his stance on something he stood staunchly against, rather than digging in his heels, when new ideas or evidence are presented to him. I know I'm biased, but I strongly believe that we need to tap into that sort of mindset.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Who thought it was a good idea to make Bill Nye relevant again?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree that not all of it is self-indulgent crap. However, I find some parts of this article annoying--mostly the whole "shift in science to non-falsifiable theories". The key example the article it links cites (string theory) was actually in part falsified recently by the Large Hadron Collider's experiments. Just because you don't know of the tests doesn't mean they're not happening.

I like Bill Nye's approach of using philosophy to refine science. To me that's a pretty neat place for it.