• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists more likely to believe in superstitions

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Theoretically, isn't christianity just a schism of jewish religion? Being a jew is more a question of religion than actual ethnicity ever since the diaspora. ;)

S

Sniffles

Theoretically, isn't christianity just a schism of jewish religion?

Hmmmn....well that's a complicated issue onto itself. Since much of what we consider Judaism today comes from the teachings of the Pharisees, wheras Christianity derived more from the Hellenic Judaic tradition/

Being a jew is more a question of religion than actual ethnicity ever since the diaspora. ;)

I believe the rule still applies that one is Jewish only if their mother is Jewish.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
_42091892_pope_ap_416.jpg

^ He looks more gaudy that he he looks godly.

And the papacy and the Catholic church make me wanna go :sick:

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well well well.....so much for the argument that religion is only for savage idiots!

Eh? This has nothing to do with anything, really. It's like saying that atheists are smarter because they are less likely than theists to believe in God.

:doh:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your own source admits that Catholicism condemns superstition as a sin.

exactly, its only possible to avoid condemning themselves under their own rules, because they treat their belief as FACT. Most people, when presented with the idea that:

Didums said:
"a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree..."

they will naturally ask, "how this is any better than any other superstition?"

using the definition that most people use (not the catholic one), religion is not excused from superstition. Please walk me through how religion is not a superstition? Im not sure that you can prove that unless you are going to prove a certain religion.

Really? One major hallmark of Christian theology is the compatibility of reason and faith.

Islam maybe closer in regards to its belief in Occasionalism - ie the belief that everything that happens is simply the will of God. But even many Islamic theologians argued for Occasionalism on the basis that because God is ultimately a rational being, everything that happens is in accordance with God's rational nature.

no matter how much compartmentalized logic these religions claim, there is no more evidence than there is for my superstitious belief in an invisible Martian ice cream truck.

InvisibleMartianIceCreamTruck said:
"the invisible Martian Ice cream truck simply always has been! from him, is an infinite life force that we all arose from 20,000 years ago! How does he exist on Mars and yet promise his gift of eternal ice cream? well he's immaterial! How do we know he exists? Every human has an empty craving inside, an ice cream flavored desire! Ever wonder why any human, no matter how full, can always want more ice cream? In separation from the invisible Martian ice cream truck, no human can ever say he has truly had his fill! To break the cycle of having to eat every day, we must return to way of life our martian ice cream truck father desired! Only through ice cream binging can we truly ever feel the enlightened content, that all humans desire!"

The above isn't wrong because it contains numerous contradictions. Its wrong because there's no evidence for it. I shouldnt have to disprove, if no one can prove, the Invisible Martian Ice Cream Truck.

By your own admission, I have not made this argument - so in turn you're setting up a strawman. The Catholic definition is not really biased, and in fact it even cites pagan writers like Cicero - especially his statement "Superstition is the baseless fear of the gods, religion the pious worship."

So obviously the distinction between superstition and religion exists outside Christianity, not to mention predates the beginning of Christianity - Cicero after all died in 43 BC.

The catholic definition isn't biased? It automatically counts itself as a factual religion, just so it can avoid condemnation under, "Superstition is the baseless fear of the gods, religion the pious worship." If you can't prove catholicism, then isnt it really just the baseless fear of god?

it states that religious beliefs are often likely to be labeled superstitious by "outsiders".

What would ever prove that a supernatural belief wasnt superstitious? Im pretty sure it would have to be something that was an actually "true" supernatural happening.

Peguy, this study is bullshit because its simply preaching to the choir, who already allege religion to be superior to superstition. Religion is the walmart of superstition. Of course it pushed all the other gigs in town out of business! who the hell can compete with the biggest superstition of all time?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Of course they are more likely to believe in superstitions, this is unavoidable by definition.

After all science is a superstition form the perspective of pure religion.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
the saddest part, is that baylor is still considered an accredited university. People actually get degrees from an institution that signs off on studies that assume religion is not 100% superstition!

Airius

MBTI Type
INTJ
I thought Christians more or less believed in witches and spells, ouija boards, palm reading, séances, spiritual possession, prophecies and omens, etc.

Sounds supersticious to me. They just have other names for some of it.
Like "devil worship" and "the works of evil".

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I thought Christians more or less believed in witches and spells, ouija boards, palm reading, séances, spiritual possession, prophecies and omens, etc.

Sounds supersticious to me. They just have other names for some of it.
Like "devil worship" and "the works of evil".

In a limited context, that is true. Normally when people refer to "superstition," they mean less-organized things like fear of broken mirrors and black cats. (I would include Astrology, because although it is highly organized, there is not even a pretense of evidence to support its validity.) The typical Christian belief in demonic activity is an integral part of the supernatural construct, and is usually limited to formal circumstances that are specifically tied to Satan. I don't think most Christians believe that ordinary ouija boards are reliable, as the vast majority of so-called fortune-tellers and other mystics can be shown to be frauds with a little digging.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I would include Astrology, because although it is highly organized, there is not even a pretense of evidence to support its validity.

The typical Christian belief in demonic activity is an integral part of the supernatural construct, and is usually limited to formal circumstances that are specifically tied to Satan.

Hrmm... do you not see the similarity between the two things that you stated here?