• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I embrace my hedorism?

Ogie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
1) Are you sure you are not an Enneagram 7??

Your opening is vague. Avoiding pain is a different thing altogether than hedonism. Hedonism is self-indulgence by definition. It's pleasure above all else. By nature, it is singular in concentration. It doesn't do "balance" as balancing aspects of pleasure is not hedonism.

3) What kind of pain are you afraid of and seek to minimize?

Perhaps I might be, it seems so, based on what I just read about it. I can understand what you're saying and I do have to do painful things in my life, like recently when I forgave somebody who hurt me very badly for years out of release from the pain that it was causing me. I'll edit my profile later.

To answer your question as to what pain I'm trying to avoid is difficult to explain and I can only say that it's rejection, confrontation, and loneliness. I can only escape so much of it, but one decision of mine to avoid one of them had unintentionally hurt someone's feelings, and I'm much more cautious of my choices and do better to not make the same mistake.

To finish, I apologised to that person and they forgave me. I have some kind of balance, such as making a choice to better things for the future of myself rather than immediate choices that cause harm for the future. I recently do those types of decisions when needed to be.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hedonism is what happens when you have no self control,
Strictly speaking, this isn't hedonism, though it does reflect the popular misconception of that philosophy.

But remember, when He created man, he wasn't the sinner he is now.
Man? Which man? As a woman, I suppose I wouldn't know.

More seriously, God created humans with all the potential we contain, including the potential "to sin".

The closer we get to God, the purer our thoughts become, the less we crave sensual pleasure, the emptier we become of self.
Again with the we.
Again with the "we', indeed. Speak for yourself, especially if you hold others to that standard.

Coriolis was trying to justify sins of the flesh by saying that God made us with physical bodies. I said, that when He made us, we were made in God's image. We were not yet fallen, not prone to sin by our nature.

So what exactly does this have to do with my post?
Far more than your post has to do with mine. Since I did not claim the highlighted, there is no point in addressing it. It is simply your attempt to twist a reasonable statement into something that fits better into your own worldview. This is, of course, your prerogative but serves no useful purpose beyond whatever comfort such mental gymnastics give you.

wool

Permabanned
God created humans with all the potential we contain, including the potential "to sin".

The potential was there to sin (to disobey), because mankind was created with free will. Our minds can discriminate between right and wrong.

That first act of disobedience, however, corrupted our very essential nature, in a way you cannot even fathom. Adam and Eve were created without sin.

What you wrote made it sound like Adam was created with an inherently sinful nature, like you or I, which is what I corrected.

Mole

Permabanned
The potential was there to sin (to disobey), because mankind was created with free will. Our minds can discriminate between right and wrong.

That first act of disobedience, however, corrupted our very essential nature, in a way you cannot even fathom. Adam and Eve were created without sin.

What you wrote made it sound like Adam was created with an inherently sinful nature, like you or I, which is what I corrected.

What you are giving us is boilerplate, you are reciting for us Church doctrine.

So you are giving us a recitation rather than a conversation.

We can only guess your recitation is hiding a damaged psyche.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thread title: How do I embrace my hedorism?

Anyone else keep misreading this as, How do I embrace my hodorism?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perhaps I might be, it seems so, based on what I just read about it. I can understand what you're saying and I do have to do painful things in my life, like recently when I forgave somebody who hurt me very badly for years out of release from the pain that it was causing me. I'll edit my profile later.

I relate to what you say about forgiveness here. I had to do the same with someone in my life who caused a lot of pain. Forgiveness is work but I have learned it gets easier with time and I hope you will experience that point where whatever happened or whomever hurt you, doesn't have the power they once did. You really can remove their stain upon your life. It just happens slowly.

To answer your question as to what pain I'm trying to avoid is difficult to explain and I can only say that it's rejection, confrontation, and loneliness. I can only escape so much of it, but one decision of mine to avoid one of them had unintentionally hurt someone's feelings, and I'm much more cautious of my choices and do better to not make the same mistake.

To finish, I apologised to that person and they forgave me. I have some kind of balance, such as making a choice to better things for the future of myself rather than immediate choices that cause harm for the future. I recently do those types of decisions when needed to be.

:D I think you have a good head on your shoulders. Good luck!

Ogie

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I relate to what you say about forgiveness here. I had to do the same with someone in my life who caused a lot of pain. Forgiveness is work but I have learned it gets easier with time and I hope you will experience that point where whatever happened or whomever hurt you, doesn't have the power they once did. You really can remove their stain upon your life. It just happens slowly.

:D I think you have a good head on your shoulders. Good luck!

Thank you! :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have another name for it. Inferior Se

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sure - someone is sinless until they exercise their innate potential to sin, but such distinctions are hairsplitting.

In any case, it's silly to argue about which version of a fictional story is correct. I prefer the moral associated with a third version, as you know, but have no problem with you deriving inspiration from the one you cited.