• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think life is better believing in a healthy religion or not?

theflame

Permabanned
Obviously too much of anything is no good...but if done in moderation, I think life is better when a person's involved in church activities, provided a person goes to the right church for them.

I've noticed people who have religion and those who don't...and those who follow through with the word.

I don't want to be someone without some belief. I've been reading into Christianity.

From my experience, people who don't have religion turn to divorce because it's always an option for them.
I've noticed true Christian couples who really follow the word wouldn't break a vow.

They'd stay even if they don't want to because they made a promise to someone.

What are your experiences?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think religious structure can be helpful for some people because it provides community, a structured belief system, and way to share a moral perspective with others.

I don't think it is healthier for everyone, but I'm not one to tell people to leave their religion even when it causes them pain. In those instances I try to support whatever they feel is best for themselves, and perhaps encourage them to associate with the groups within their religion that do provide support and avoid the people/groups that are causing them the most pain.

In some cases it is a huge problem that people don't divorce because of their religion because it can perpetuate abusive situations. I realize that some people don't take vows seriously, but I would say in the case of divorce the moral issue has a lot more to do with how the decision to continue a marriage or divorce impacts the people involved. Are there children? How are they affected? How are the adults affected in either scenario? Whichever course of action minimizes suffering and emotional damage is the morally correct one. To stay in a marriage only because of an abstract vow when it is the more destructive outcome is a moral failing imo.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ethical and moral rules, values should be coded inside of every person and should not be forced by any external sources. People without inner morality are corrupted psychopaths and people who seek moral validation outside of themselves aren't any better in my eyes.

Religion however can solve basic issues such as the meaning of existence, importance of one's life, can bring feelings of security, belonging and being a part of something greater than your own self which is always an amazing and fulfilling thing. It can help people to find their self, become less selfish and more open and helpful for the community and others around them. Yes, life with a healthy faith is always a healthier life than existencial nihilism.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Practising a spiritual practice that is right for me has definitely enhanced my life.

Practising one/being told to practise one I felt no connection with however, did the opposite as it demands energy and causes resentment.

wool

Permabanned
Practising a spiritual practice that is right for me has definitely enhanced my life.

Practising one/being told to practise one I felt no connection with however, did the opposite as it demands energy and causes resentment.

What do you practice?

theflame

Permabanned
I've also tried Catholicism, but I wasn't into Catholic stuff, I think Christianity is more my religion that I would believe in.

wool

Permabanned
John 12:25
Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity.

CoffeeEnthusiast

Being Christian doesn't mean divorce is impossible though. I've had personal conflicts with the Catholic church, I've been there regularly for years, but I lost confidence on it. Despite that, I do believe in God and in Catholic holy figures. I believe my life is better with it. Believing in some superior entity is a moral limitation for my own actions. I'd be way worse today if I didn't consider how my actions would influence my relation with this entity, so instead of falling into stupidity I kept to a more stable way of living.

I trust the idea that God exists, confirmed it by experience multiple times, and that belief is immensely helpful at taking decisions that would otherwise be unethical, hurtful or dangerous.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It depends. I generally argue against religion, but Zen Buddhism and its derivatives have helped a lot of people over the years.

Ayuhime

I am kind of disappointed to see only Christianity being given as examples so far, save for last reply.
I think that if someone can find a religion that aligns with their personal philosophy and feel the need to be in a religious group/community or simply as a personal thing as a rock to lean on on harsh times, I would support that. As long as it is a personal choice and actually helps them achieve happiness and maybe possibly be more compassionate towards others out of true good will, then yes.
I don't think it is for everyone, though. I personally always find it pointless to act like I actually believe something while I don't a stupid idea since it would be trying to decieve some being which, if it does exist, see through my facade right off the bat anyway. So I've been pretty much an agnostic ever since I was old enough to make such judgements.
So for someone like me, it would be a stress factor and something I would resent more than anything. It simply wouldn't make sense to ask for help to a being I normally don't pray to and I would like to own my own life than a predestined destiny most religions tend to have as a core part.
Again, my view is my personal view only and there is nothing wrong with feeling a need to believe in something- it can give a sense of belonging, safety and purpose to most people. If it does, then yes. If not, it is better if not.

Ps. I don't think staying in a marriage where you stay only bound to each other out of a sense of duty would be good for emotional health of either parties. That would be one of the things I would like to respectfully disagree. And I wish this thread was a general religion one rather than a Christian centric one. I don't have anything against it, it simply would be a lot more inclusive and bring broader discussion.

theflame

Permabanned
I am kind of disappointed to see only Christianity being given as examples so far, save for last reply.
I think that if someone can find a religion that aligns with their personal philosophy and feel the need to be in a religious group/community or simply as a personal thing as a rock to lean on on harsh times, I would support that. As long as it is a personal choice and actually helps them achieve happiness and maybe possibly be more compassionate towards others out of true good will, then yes.
I don't think it is for everyone, though. I personally always find it pointless to act like I actually believe something while I don't a stupid idea since it would be trying to decieve some being which, if it does exist, see through my facade right off the bat anyway. So I've been pretty much an agnostic ever since I was old enough to make such judgements.
So for someone like me, it would be a stress factor and something I would resent more than anything. It simply wouldn't make sense to ask for help to a being I normally don't pray to and I would like to own my own life than a predestined destiny most religions tend to have as a core part.
Again, my view is my personal view only and there is nothing wrong with feeling a need to believe in something- it can give a sense of belonging, safety and purpose to most people. If it does, then yes. If not, it is better if not.

Ps. I don't think staying in a marriage where you stay only bound to each other out of a sense of duty would be good for emotional health of either parties. That would be one of the things I would like to respectfully disagree. And I wish this thread was a general religion one rather than a Christian centric one. I don't have anything against it, it simply would be a lot more inclusive and bring broader discussion.

I said Christianity because that is the choice I made. I didn't say you had to choose it. And I've been around many religious people to know which religion is right for me. I've seen Catholics, I've seen Christians, I've seen Buddhists, etc.

Why get married then if people aren't going to honor their vows? That's what religion is about. It's not trapping someone, it's supposed to be working through problems rather than replacing someone because things got tough. If someone was true to their religion, I don't think they would be an abusive person. If someone claims to be a Christian but is abusive, then he/she isn't a true Christian.

I see a friend of mine who is a Christian couple, both her and her husband are and they are there for each other in every sense of the religion.

Ayuhime

I said Christianity because that is the choice I made. I didn't say you had to choose it. And I've been around many religious people to know which religion is right for me. I've seen Catholics, I've seen Christians, I've seen Buddhists, etc.

Why get married then if people aren't going to honor their vows? That's what religion is about. It's not trapping someone, it's supposed to be working through problems rather than replacing someone because things got tough. If someone was true to their religion, I don't think they would be an abusive person. If someone claims to be a Christian but is abusive, then he/she isn't a true Christian.

I see a friend of mine who is a Christian couple, both her and her husband are and they are there for each other in every sense of the religion.

Ah, I understood that you weren't saying I had to choose it. It just kind of rubbed me wrong when I read the title and instantly correct church was brought into it, I suppose. Where I live is not exactly Christian/Catholic-centric so it would be going to right mosque here than right church. It is not a major thing, but I simply wanted to point out that it could be another religion related community which could be correct for someone else.

I am glad that you found what religion is right for you with actually thinking about it, I respect that a lot.

Hm... I suppose there was a communication mistake, then. I took the way you wrote at the thread starter post as in "they stay even if they want to leave out of feeling they are duty bound" rather than "there is a stronger will to try and see if things work out". In the first case, that would imply that they weren't happy with it but feel trapped by a vow they made and it would most likely be the case of a later figured out major issue that would be quite the problem and now didn't want to make it "work out" just from a sense of duty-boundness. (Which, in most cases, would have at least one type of abuse in it.) In second case, it might be for better or worse. If the relationship you were talking about was between two person true to their religion in the way you described, then yes, there is a chance this could work out well. But still, I think we both have quite different views on marriage from the start- what it means for both people involved in it as well as how it would relate to vowing to a God etc.

I see it more as something two people decides on and would carry on with until their lifes becomes quite incompatible with each other/if both would at some point start to feel more negative emotions-resentment towards each other and staying together would be more of a torture than anything. If that doesn't happen and they are willing to keep going and make it work, with or without religious connection, it could work out fairly well, in my opinion. But again, differing views.

And well, if that's how you define a true Christian, I would have to agree- Any major religion I heard/researched about is strongly against being abusive to others so that actually should be a belief held by any followers of said religions, including Christians, I believe.

I am glad that it works out so fine for them, really.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, I understood that you weren't saying I had to choose it. It just kind of rubbed me wrong when I read the title and instantly correct church was brought into it, I suppose. Where I live is not exactly Christian/Catholic-centric so it would be going to right mosque here than right church. It is not a major thing, but I simply wanted to point out that it could be another religion related community which could be correct for someone else.
Well, the majority of people in the countries from which most of our members hail are probably Christian. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of members here who follow a religion are also Christian. This means that a generic "religion" thread will garner lots of Christian responses. Nothing wrong with that, as long as followers of other faiths - or no faith - are just as welcome to post. For the most part, that has been the case here. We do have other religions represented, including (at least) Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Bahai's, and of course atheist/agnostics.

So, if you are interested in hearing more from the others, search for that in existing threads, or start a new one.

Lark

Obviously too much of anything is no good...but if done in moderation, I think life is better when a person's involved in church activities, provided a person goes to the right church for them.

I've noticed people who have religion and those who don't...and those who follow through with the word.

I don't want to be someone without some belief. I've been reading into Christianity.

From my experience, people who don't have religion turn to divorce because it's always an option for them.
I've noticed true Christian couples who really follow the word wouldn't break a vow.

They'd stay even if they don't want to because they made a promise to someone.

What are your experiences?

There's a lot in this, I think that religion can mean that people are more committal to relationships, others, beliefs, but not necessarily.

In addition to religion itself as a factor, and I understand that as involving an object of devotion and frame of reference, ie values, ethics, norms, expectations of the self and others, there's factors like attachment style, life story/experience.

There's good and bad religion, which I take it is what the prefix "healthy" is about or the use of the term "moderation", religion as I understand it is something I'm happy to be pretty immoderate about, although I know how I understand it is not how everyone understands it and I'd not expect that or ask it either you know.

theflame

Permabanned
There's a lot in this, I think that religion can mean that people are more committal to relationships, others, beliefs, but not necessarily.

In addition to religion itself as a factor, and I understand that as involving an object of devotion and frame of reference, ie values, ethics, norms, expectations of the self and others, there's factors like attachment style, life story/experience.

There's good and bad religion, which I take it is what the prefix "healthy" is about or the use of the term "moderation", religion as I understand it is something I'm happy to be pretty immoderate about, although I know how I understand it is not how everyone understands it and I'd not expect that or ask it either you know.

Also, one doesn't really need religion to be respectful and faithful as one should already want those qualities...but nowadays, near anything is being accepted as okay by society even when it isn't. Don't need a religion to need to be a better person, but it seems like some people might need it based on their views about life.

Lark

Also, one doesn't really need religion to be respectful and faithful as one should already want those qualities...but nowadays, near anything is being accepted as okay by society even when it isn't. Don't need a religion to need to be a better person, but it seems like some people might need it based on their views about life.

Though I think that people live a religion whether they are conscious of it or not, everyone has an object of devotion and a frame of reference, consciously or unconsciously, religion has been one conscious answer which usually involves increasing self awareness and social awareness in the process. That's how I understand it though, I know not everyone considers it in that way, believers and non-believers alike.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well I can't force myself to believe in something I don't believe in. And I don't think I'm any worse off for it.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religion certainly enriched my life. Spiritual "highs" always filled me with such peace and contentment, and knowing that God loved me unconditionally helped me a lot during low points. Now that I have questions I still need to find answers to and am unsure where I stand on religion, I sometimes feel hollow and view those sure about their faith with much envy.

I really need to set aside time to figure things out. Ugh.

wool

Permabanned
Everyone worships something.

Most people's hearts are unknown to themselves.