User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you believe in life after death?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I believe in God

10 27.78%
  • Yes, but I am an atheist

3 8.33%
  • No

8 22.22%
  • Other (please explain)

15 41.67%
123 Last

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Default Life After Death?

Ran into some interesting stuff on Near Death Experiences and Out of Body experiences recently. Not normally something I pay attention to, but I found it interesting.

Anyway, research has shown that they happen around the world and even to people who have zero brain activity. Atheists have had what is the typical NDE with bright light and seeing relatives. Greek philosophers first talked about the idea.

It has been 40 years since researchers have seriously looked at phenomenon. They found these experiences in every culture and ethnicity and religion.

So, the question for everyone is: Do you believe you will exist in some fashion after you die?
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I believe everyone is right from the beginning already dead.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]
    Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I have researched OBE's and Near Death Experiences as well... such things are dismissed without being looked into deeply enough.

To happen after brain activity has stopped is clearly strange.

Can't say either way. I would sooner think we just become a ghost stuck on earth forever, than go to another realm entirely with many others chilling there. Which would also suggest a god, and bring up more questions.

Is everyone just losing their mind? That suggests a lot.

The answer comes down to straight Yes or No.

But you know. Maybe it's a bit more complicated than that
    House: Slytherin
    DnD Allignment: True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral
    Instinct: Sx/So - Symbolism

469, 479, 359?? Idk which TBH. Deeply philosophical and emotional yet distant, playful and witty, yet very ambitious, competitive, and sensitive to exposure. Thus calculated. I'm a brutally honest Shapeshifter with a strong yet ever shifting core.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Fate liked this post

Saturn's Amethyst Lord Lavender's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    749 so/sp

You do come back alive but in a different way. The carbon you was made up for instance will join the carbon cycle and then become part of a plant or anything that consumes the carbon. So that is basically a random version of the Hindu reincarnation. You could be a cow, a house plant,a mushroom or even a humble small bacterium in the next life as the carbon in you goes to them and so on. So basically we were all dinosaurs and mammoths in our past lives. Another theory that i have thought of is that you live on through as a "imprint" on the universal timeline. This may explain ghosts.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Krim13 View Post
    I have researched OBE's and Near Death Experiences as well... such things are dismissed without being looked into deeply enough.

To happen after brain activity has stopped is clearly strange.

Can't say either way. I would sooner think we just become a ghost stuck on earth forever, than go to another realm entirely with many others chilling there. Which would also suggest a god, and bring up more questions.

Is everyone just losing their mind? That suggests a lot.

The answer comes down to straight Yes or No.

But you know. Maybe it's a bit more complicated than that
    My grandmother was in a severe car accident when she was about 60. Her husband had died 20 years earlier (his own deceased father appeared to him in a dream, telling him he would within a year and to get his affairs in order).

She later said that her husband appeared to her and she saw the typical lights of NDE. He told her it was time to let go.

My ISTJ grandmother said she told him, "I am not leaving yet! I am not going to die now!" She woke up from her coma and lived another 20 years.

She definitely was a very down to earth grounded person, not given to flights of fancy. I have zero reason to doubt her experience.

One thing I read said that when the early scientific studies were conducted, it was actually religious leaders who objected to their validity, besides atheists. They didn't like the "everyone gets a nice experience" thing. It seemed to them spiritual without religion.

Anyway, no matter what it is, once someone accepts there is any existence after death, then it puts life here on earth in a whole new perspective.......
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays
    Likes Kanra13, Typh0n, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    SEI None

Yes I believe in life after death however I have a neutral stance on God, neither believing fully or disbelieving fully
    It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how ~The Cat in the Hat
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Fate liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

i believe in life after death, but not that it is immediate... i think we have a bit of a wait for it... i do believe in God...
    "The only intelligent tactical response to life’s horror is to laugh defiantly at it.”
    ― søren kierkegaard

“Most men are not wicked... They are sleep-walkers, not evil evildoers.”
    ―franz kafka

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    ― kurt vonnegut
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

....in a fashion.

I don't believe in reincarnation per-se but we do know that energy cannot be created or destroyed. So when we die whatever energy has gone into creating/maintaing " us" will disperse and move to create something else.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu
    So when we die whatever energy has gone into creating/maintaing " us" will disperse and move to create something else.
    Which isn't close to being a form of life after death, because we aren't the energy that animates us. If we were, then we would not be the same person we were a decade ago when we had a completely different supply of energy. There's a continuity that is sustained by something else or by nothing.

To the topic, I believe that there might be a God (in spite of God being impossible), and that if there is, he's probably me. But that, meaning belief in God, has about as much to do with life after death as belief in advanced aliens, which could equally well bring someone back to life.

My view on life after death is that we can't meaningfully talk about it, because genuine death is not something that we can conceive of. When we talk about death, we mean blackness, a void, numbness, quiescence, etc. but all of those are things. Death is supposed to be absolute nothing without existence as a context. No one can experience that except in an incomplete form.

What do I think happens to someone who goes to the grave? I don't know, because it has never happened to me (as far as I know) and there isn't any convincing testimony about what it's like. I do think that consciousness will persist after "death," simply because personal death is, as I said, a meaningless term--we can't think about it, talk about it, or really mean it. Beyond that, I can only engage in wild speculation.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Which isn't close to being a form of life after death, because we aren't the energy that animates us. If we were, then we would not be the same person we were a decade ago when we had a completely different supply of energy. There's a continuity that is sustained by something else or by nothing.

To the topic, I believe that there might be a God (in spite of God being impossible), and that if there is, he's probably me. But that, meaning belief in God, has about as much to do with life after death as belief in advanced aliens, which could equally well bring someone back to life.

My view on life after death is that we can't meaningfully talk about it, because genuine death is not something that we can conceive of. When we talk about death, we mean blackness, a void, numbness, quiescence, etc. but all of those are things. Death is supposed to be absolute nothing without existence as a context. No one can experience that except in an incomplete form.

What do I think happens to someone who goes to the grave? I don't know, because it has never happened to me (as far as I know) and there isn't any convincing testimony about what it's like. I do think that consciousness will persist after "death," simply because personal death is, as I said, a meaningless term--we can't think about it, talk about it, or really mean it. Beyond that, I can only engage in wild speculation.
    I don't know what you're trying to argue about. It is what is.