• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moments of Synchronicity

For those unfamiliar with the concept:

Synchronicity is a concept, first explained by psychoanalyst Carl Jung, which holds that events are "meaningful coincidences" if they occur with no causal relationship yet seem to be meaningfully related.[1] During his career, Jung furnished several slightly different definitions of it.[2] Jung variously defined synchronicity as an "acausal connecting (togetherness) principle," "meaningful coincidence", and "acausal parallelism."

So describe moments in your life where you had events that seemed synchronous.

For me,

1) Before starting this thread I had a moment of synchronicity while reasing this article on mathematics:

What Are Numbers, Really? A Cerebral Basis For Number Sense | Edge.org

I got to the part dealing with Ramanujan's Intuition and a song came on the radio that fit the moment so beautifully it just seemed "true" like the beauty one experiences with great joy for example at a wedding.

After that, I saw someone spinning in an attractive manner (playfulness to me is attractive) and it was funny because I had been thinking about INTP women and how we relate to one another and it seemed she was INTP (just a preliminary guess). However, she was with someone, so I found myself hoping she was not involved.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Earlier today, I decided to click "shuffle all" for an artist in iTunes. I did not look at what songs were coming up next. I found myself thinking as the first song came to an end, "What if [newest song] comes on next?" and then it did. psychic

Also: When you put your iPod with thousands of songs on shuffle, and then a song from a musical plays, and right after it, the reprise of the same song plays.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I experience a relatively large amount of synchronicity, but it's hard for me to think of specific examples.

-I was thinking about ice-type pokemon, and chanced to look down at the table. There was the word ice.

-I woke up and said to myself, "What a spellbinding dream." Next thing I did was turn on my computer and look at the headlines on Yahoo. One of them had the word spellbinding in it.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- Last night I was looking at pictures on Tumblr, and one of them chanced to be a heart with a combination lock on it. It was pretty much identical to an idea that I had had an hour or two before for a novel I'm working on.

- I was using a random word generator, and one of the words on the screen was "watch." I closed it and switched to Tumblr, and the very first thing I saw was a watch I hadn't noticed before right in the middle of the screen.

- I was browsing Tumblr, and just as I was about to listen to a song called "Sad Moon" or something like that, I saw a picture of a large moon.

-I was looking up word associations for "cat" just after I started listening to Willie Biddle and his Waltzing Maggot by Miranda Sex Garden, and one of the first word associations I noticed was "Miranda."

All of these happened within 24 hours of each other, so you can see that I'm not kidding when I say this type of thing happens to me more than the average person.

Mole

Permabanned
The speed of light determines causality, while synchronicity is ridiculous, it is fanciful, it is entirely imaginary, it is a superstition conjured up by the psychotic astrologer Carl Jung.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The speed of light determines causality, while synchronicity is ridiculous, it is fanciful, it is entirely imaginary, it is a superstition conjured up by the psychotic astrologer Carl Jung.

Now that's just rude. I'm sure no one asked for your well versed opinion. Let's just play the game and keep our verbal blades at the door, hm?

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've had many plenty of odd coincidences.. whatever they mean.

-I once knew someone I could connect with on a level we could almost read one another's thoughts and finish one another's sentences..

-I had a couple dreams of events happening in the near future (in my life) which happened each time. One was a breakup, another was also a breakup do to cheating by the other. Specific emotionally tied predictions of the future in my subconscious. Another was of someone's hidden intentions I shouldn't trust, which was proven accurate.

-Most woman I've been emotionally tied with in the past were 5'8" (4 so far)

-I had a part in my life where I had feelings for more than one person. Just wanting to be happy but paralyzed and decided to shut it away.. a video with the name "same happiness - different skies" showed up which is also a song "With eyes wide Shut" by Bless The Fall.

-I thought of posting the poem "Mad Girl's Love Song" by Sylvia Plath which is a bit nostalgic for me but chose not to. A day later someone posted it.

-Certain types of quizzes(like color quizzes) that have no way of being able to accurately depict me have always depicted me correctly(ambition and feeling suffocated by life most notably)

-I've thought of someone I hadn't talked to in a while because of personal issues and how I actually missed them. A day later said person showed up on my messenger.

-I had the same dream of someone three times. Usually it's because I'm close to them, and it just... inevitably happens. We talk and discuss the same exact dream.

-I knew someone who had the last name "Fleming" and was the only deep relationship I ever had. During this relationship, I lived in an area near the street called "Fleming"

-I had a specific type of long-distance relationship before that ended badly, but I watched a movie where the same exact thing happened shortly after.

-Dreamed about people only to meet them later every so often to find out they actually exist and my subconscious didn't make it all up..

-I saw 11:11 or 12:12 repeatedly on the clock when I'd be in deep thought or depressed which is "supposedly" a spiritual calling. Friends and I made a joke about it though and turned it into a "oh it's time let's make a wish" thing.

-I had an idea for an anime I wanted to make (specific characters in it, two, and their dynamic and personalities and how they related) and I discovered their was an anime with it already years later when I abandoned it. And very similar color schemes to them(red vs blue), personalities. Basically "enemies" who felt cursed to fight one another(do to a manipulator implanting that belief for his own ambitions) but loved each other.

-Felt like I was stuck in a rut and couldn't change myself and I was thinking about if only the world could be changed, wondering about the "figures" that every so often rise up to try and change the world and where they even are.. And so I ended up seeing a video on the side that was about changing the world as 'recommended'. This happened a few other times too.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Earlier today I was riding the bus, and for some reason my mind turned to the subject of Spaghettios, a food I haven't thought of in years. One thing that went through my mind was how ridiculous the phrase "Uh oh Spaghettio" is. Later on on that same bus ride, someone randomly said "Uh oh Spaghettio."

Mole

Permabanned
Now that's just rude. I'm sure no one asked for your well versed opinion. Let's just play the game and keep our verbal blades at the door, hm?

We have freedom to play the game and by the same token we have the freedom to critique the game, in the same way we have freedom of religion and the freedom to critique religion.

And of course you are quite free to take offence, but freedom of speech means nothing without the freedom to offend.

And perhaps you have noticed, the American people have just voted nationally for freedom of speech, and against politically correct censorship.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We have freedom to play the game and by the same token we have the freedom to critique the game, in the same way we have freedom of religion and the freedom to critique religion. And of course you are quite free to take offence, but freedom of speech means nothing without the freedom to offend. And perhaps you have noticed, the American people have just voted nationally for freedom of speech, and against politically correct censorship.

Sure. Makes sense. I don't hate freedom of speech after all. So long as you know spouting your views as facts doesn't make it so. Not that I believe it. But the patterns.;)But what's with the disrespect to Carl Jung? Why is he psychotic?

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Earlier today I was listening to some music by J.S. Bach, and I decided to look up the word "instance." The first example sentence I read was, "Here he instances in particular the work of Bach."

I wonder what the explanation for all of these synchronicities is. Are they a natural consequence of accumulating experiences, the more you're familiar with, the more connections possible? Do they reflect some sort of reality breakdown? Is someone or something trying to communicate with me? Or are they just chance occurrences?

I'm inclined to think they're chance occurrences and that there's more to chance than meets the eye.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moments of synchronicity are very personal. I like to keep them as secrets. Otherwise, it sort of ruins the magic in them.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
here is an example from the beginning of last year:

someoone sitting beside me is using sign language to communicate via video chat... the only reason i mention this is that the song Drag Me Down by One Direction was playing (i had to google the lyrics to determine what song it was) and their conversation very closely resembled a dance... it was a rather happy coincidence, and made me smile a bit despite myself... i wonder if they can hear the music... if they can, was the alignment of their motions intentionally matched to the beat? little things like this often give me pause...

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And I thought I was crazy. I am constantly having those "moments". For instance I will learn a new word and all of a sudden I start hearing that word everywhere. Other examples include

. Dreaming about our world being a nightmare in disguise then waking up and going on "nosleep" on Reddit and the headline was a story eerily similar to the dream I had.

. Knowing what a person is going to say before they say it. I have been called psychic before as I quite often know what a person is going to say.

. Getting a strong taste of chicken in my mouth a few hours before I found out I was having chicken feast for dinner.

Mole

Permabanned
what's with the disrespect to Carl Jung? Why is he psychotic?

Carl Jung wrote an extensive diary called The Red Book. The Red Book was hidden in a locked safe for seventy years by his disciples because it shows Carl Jung suffered from a florid psychosis.

We have been deliberately and extensively deceived by the followers of Carl Jung. So rather than Carl Jung, it is we who have been disrespected for seventy years.

here is an example from the beginning of last year:

someoone sitting beside me is using sign language to communicate via video chat... the only reason i mention this is that the song Drag Me Down by One Direction was playing (i had to google the lyrics to determine what song it was) and their conversation very closely resembled a dance... it was a rather happy coincidence, and made me smile a bit despite myself... i wonder if they can hear the music... if they can, was the alignment of their motions intentionally matched to the beat? little things like this often give me pause...

Once you practice for a long enough time at a high skill level you will find yourself falling in time with the music

Lark

Was reading about something called priming lately which could explain synchronicity as a trick of the mind.