User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default The purpose of philosophy in the digital age.

In a world influenced by the enlightenment's way of thinking, namely that the every-man should be primarily rational and secondarily human, does this give rise to the need for philosophy or religion? Indeed is this its primary utility? If we live in the acknowledgement that there lies somewhere an objective truth which can be discerned by science, is not the logical conclusion nihilism if not for spiritual fulfilment?

Discuss how you think the endeavours of science have failed us in many ways, even if it is mostly good.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man.

The main purpose of philosophy in the digital age is to offer employment for INTPs mostly interested in dead people's thoughts.
    Likes that's not my name liked this post

MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Mental masturbation, attempting to appear more interesting than one actually is.
    Life is a work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
    In a world influenced by the enlightenment's way of thinking, namely that the every-man should be primarily rational and secondarily human, does this give rise to the need for philosophy or religion? Indeed is this its primary utility? If we live in the acknowledgement that there lies somewhere an objective truth which can be discerned by science, is not the logical conclusion nihilism if not for spiritual fulfilment?

Discuss how you think the endeavours of science have failed us in many ways, even if it is mostly good.

This is a good question and deserves a good answer.

It was the invention of the printing press in 1440 which gave rise to universal literacy and the Enlightenment, but then into this Garden of Eden snaked the electric telegraph in 1840, giving rise to the digital age.

Literacy gave is the literate individual, while the digital age is giving us the digital tribes in the global village.

The literate individual is disengaged but also disinterested and so able to work for the abstraction called the common good, while the digital tribe is engaged intimately with the tribe moment to moment, and identifies with the tribe, and so naturally seeks the good of the tribe, rather than the common good.

Also interestingly, both traditional tribes and digital tribes are in emotional contact moment by moment, and so are fully emotionally engaged. While the literate individual is emotional disengaged as they read their book alone and in silence.

Both traditional tribes and digital tribes have all the qualities of spoken cultures, while the literate individual has all the qualities of a written culture.
    Likes Obsidius, Avocado, Litsnob liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by that's not my name View Post
    Mental masturbation, attempting to appear more interesting than one actually is.
    Why waste your time and ours by disrespecting Obsidius.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The main purpose of philosophy in the digital age is to offer employment for INTPs mostly interested in dead people's thoughts.
    What a shallow and cynical and tasteless view of philosophy.

Philosophy is our great cultural project stretching over 3,000 years and still going.

Really, your view reveals a dyspepsia that colours all your thoughts.

Frankly, your problem is not philosophical but is psychological. So you might like to consider therapy rather than philosophy. I can recommend Reichian therapy to you.
    Likes Obsidius, Avocado liked this post

MBTI
    ISIS
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Why waste your time and ours by disrespecting Obsidius.
    Why waste your time and ours taking shit about mbti on a forum dedicated to typology? Obsidius made a thread asking our opinions and I have an opinion on the topic, I'm not just going to not post because its not the same opinion he has and he might get butthurt (which he didn't, you did, so lol@ you).

Also the only person I see being directly disrespectful to another person in this thread is you. Telling someone they have psychological problems because they don't share your view on a topic is fucking pathetic.
    Life is a work of art.
    Likes Litsnob liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Today more than ever we are encased by deeply complex systems. Aphorisms aid the individual in swiftly disseminating understanding through these systems. Fundamental to existence are recurring principles that grow evident to discerning eyes independent of observation or proof.
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes Obsidius, Empyrean liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

If anything the ignorance of Nicodemus and that's not my name perhaps bolsters my argument. Thanks for the thoughtful responses though indra and Mole.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Socionics
    LII Ti

@that's not my name, I assume you either know nothing about the subject, or have had bad experiences in the past with arrogant philosophy students. Either way, try to have a mature discourse on the matter instead of tossing around vapid pejoratives.