User Tag List

12311 Last

Senior Member ThaumaturgicTheorist's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9? sp

Default Why are men more independent than women?

Granted, the whole inspiration for this thread came from a conspiracy lecture, but it's something I've noticed among people in general.

Men are generally more self-sufficient and more supportive of radical freedom, while women tend to be more "statist", and more in favor of policies and organizations that take care of others (while men might take a more hard-nosed, bootstrapping approach). Women seek to be cared for and loved, while men seek to be in control and independent.

The main question: why? It is purely cultural? Or is there some innate reason for it?
    ISFP/ESI
    9w1-3w4-6w5 sp/so
    Solitary>Sensitive=Serious

"My cognitive functions include Introverted Feeling and Introverted Suffering."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Because woman always think about companionship. For men that stops with age 30.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaumaturgicTheorist View Post
    Granted, the whole inspiration for this thread came from a conspiracy lecture, but it's something I've noticed among people in general.

Men are generally more self-sufficient and more supportive of radical freedom, while women tend to be more "statist", and more in favor of policies and organizations that take care of others (while men might take a more hard-nosed, bootstrapping approach). Women seek to be cared for and loved, while men seek to be in control and independent.

The main question: why? It is purely cultural? Or is there some innate reason for it?
    It's not innate, it is cultural.

Men seek to control and dominate women as an expression of their social position.

And worse men's sexuality is combined with control and dominance of women, giving a compulsion as strong as reinforced concrete.

So men want the freedom and the legitimacy to control and dominate women, and women seek to make the best of this by asking for love and care.

And men's prerogative to control and dominate women can always fall back onto domestic violence.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think it is 95% culture/upbringing. For starters, too many women are still raised with the mindset that they NEED a man - to be complete, to take care of them, to be considered valuable and attractive, etc. Men are still more likely to be raised with the assumption that they must be self-supporting. We still are more likely to criticise a man whose wife supports him, while finding nothing wrong with a woman whose husband supports her, etc. Times are indeed changing, but old habits die hard.

Any innate factors cut both ways. E.g. do women seek to be cared for and loved, or is it in a woman's nature to be caring and loving? Do men want radical freedom, or do they willingly take on the responsibilities of protector and provider?
    But the Raven, sitting lonely on the placid ball, spoke only
    That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
    Nothing farther then he uttered—not a feather then he fluttered—
    Till I scarcely more than muttered “Other friends have flown before—
    On the morrow he will leave me, as my Hopes have flown before.”
    Then the bird said “Nevermore.”
    Likes Flâneuse, N/A liked this post

Are they more self-sufficient or the role they inhabit = self sufficiency to you? Somewhere there is sacrifice. The role of caretaker is more than self-sufficient. The role of provider, is more than self-sufficient. Which one is valued more monatarily in society now?

How many women and men do you know? Do you know those that break these molds but push them to the side as exceptions?

Just wondering. Because I find when you don't fit the mold you don't get counted in the population.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

They're not.
    Likes Lark, EJCC, N/A, Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    XNTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I think it is 95% culture/upbringing. For starters, too many women are still raised with the mindset that they NEED a man - to be complete, to take care of them, to be considered valuable and attractive, etc. Men are still more likely to be raised with the assumption that they must be self-supporting. We still are more likely to criticize a man whose wife supports him, while finding nothing wrong with a woman whose husband supports her, etc. Times are indeed changing, but old habits die hard.

Any innate factors cut both ways. E.g. do women seek to be cared for and loved, or is it in a woman's nature to be caring and loving? Do men want radical freedom, or do they willingly take on the responsibilities of protector and provider?
    This. Plus more that I don't feel like elaborating on at the moment.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Men are generally more self-sufficient and more supportive of radical freedom,
    They're not. Talk only, lots of posturing and macho nonsense but they seldom get stuff done. When shit gets hard, detailed policy needs to be formed and sacrifices need to be made, they run. Especially if they get no open recognition and there's no chance of being called a hero.

while women tend to be more "statist", and more in favor of policies and organizations that take care of others (while men might take a more hard-nosed, bootstrapping approach). Women seek to be cared for and loved, while men seek to be in control and independent.
    There is an expectation that both sexes portray these images. When they betray these expectations, they get punished for it and called names.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I think it is 95% culture/upbringing.
    It starts at a young age.

8-Year-Old Girl's Rant About Sexist Clothes At Tesco Is Your Pint-Sized Feminist Hero Of The Week
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes Forever liked this post

Permabanned

I wonder if Daisy wears stretch pants or has any objection to them. They're intended to accentuate the female figure and, consequently, sexualize it. It's appalling that so many parents allow their pre-teen and teenage daughters to wear that sort of attire. I haven't heard many feminists ranting about it though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
    I wonder if Daisy wears stretch pants or has any objection to them. They're intended to accentuate the female figure and, consequently, sexualize it. It's appalling that so many parents allow their pre-teen and teenage daughters to wear that sort of attire. I haven't heard many feminists ranting about it though.
    I love how it's implied that anything meant to show female shape is sexualising? Are sharp suits cut to a male V shape meant to be sexualising?

Also doesn't address the point that young girls and boys get different messages about who they are "supposed" to be.
    Likes EJCC, N/A liked this post