• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why god let's bad things happen

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
God let's bad things happen to us in order for us to be mentally and spiritually stronger and sometimes, he sees weaknesses that we do not even know. Sometimes because of our own wrong doing.
It is also to test us whether we are loyal or not. Sometimes we take things for granted and it makes us evaluate our own choices in the past with an open eye.

Star Atlas

I think that this is one of those platitudes that gets told that means to be comforting or explaining of the mysteries without fulfilling either.

I think that if you subscribe to the concept of free will then you also have to accept the price tag that comes with free will which is that there is no control. Bad things can happen because good things can happen. To have a life unhit by life's curveballs is a life not actually being lived but programmed.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
How do you know all of this? Did you get it on a piece of paper from God?

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
God let's bad things happen to us in order for us to be mentally and spiritually stronger and sometimes, he sees weaknesses that we do not even know. Sometimes because of our own wrong doing.
It is also to test us whether we are loyal or not. Sometimes we take things for granted and it makes us evaluate our own choices in the past with an open eye.

Isn't this the logical equivalent of locking yourself in a room and swallowing the key?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It rains and shines on the good and bad alike.

How do you know all of this? Did you get it on a piece of paper from God?

Didn't you get the e-mail? He sent one out to everyone on the forum.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This idea works better in the abstract or for normal problems.
I've recently encountered a level of trauma in a friend that has made me rethink everything. There is a question posed in the movie "Signs" asking whether one assumes that there is something out there watching over humanity, or if we are completely alone. When one faces the extreme kinds of pain and trauma in close proximity, it legitimately calls that into question. Even if there is something out there that cares, even then, some of the hideous things that happen don't deserve an explanation or a justification.

Mole

Permabanned
This idea works better in the abstract or for normal problems.
I've recently encountered a level of trauma in a friend that has made me rethink everything. There is a question posed in the movie "Signs" asking whether one assumes that there is something out there watching over humanity, or if we are completely alone. When one faces the extreme kinds of pain and trauma in close proximity, it legitimately calls that into question. Even if there is something out there that cares, even then, some of the hideous things that happen don't deserve an explanation or a justification.

Hindus believe in Ganesh, the God with the head of an elephant, but the Christians go one better and believe in the Trinity, the God with three heads.

To believe in these two Gods we need to suspend our disbelief, we need to be entranced rather than rational, otherwise both these Gods are preposterous.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
God lets bad things happen, when his fridge runs out of beer

Anzela

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think it has anything at all to do with us, specifically. I think of the strongest traits we associate with humanity - compassion, mercy, bravery, giving, sympathy, empathy, love... These traits only find value in God not interfering with freewill and letting, what we would consider, bad things to happen. Love only has value when one has a choice. The expression of humanity's most honorable traits is only possible in a world in which those traits are needed.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree, draon. Maybe other people just need to experience worse tragedies than they already have to have enough incentive to try and find meaning. Or maybe I need to experience worse tragedies than I have to come to the conlusion that there is no meaning. Not really sure which way this sort of thing goes.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got the e-mail draon! God loves everyone!!

Free love. :heart:

Mole

Permabanned
If we look at the world statistically, we get a less intuitive view, but a more accurate view.

Often we take things personally, when we are just experiencing a statistical chance.

We have the illusion we are the centre of the universe, and we can have the illusion that the universe is looking after us or not looking after us. We can think the universe has a plan for us.

Those who think they are the centre of the universe and the universe is looking after them or has a plan for them, are easily taken in by astrology or mbti.

However by looking at the world statistically we can make a risk assessment in any circumstance, and we can make an opportunity assessment in any circumstance.

So, although there is no evidence, we can believe the universe is alive and has a personal relationship with us, or we can calculate the risk and opportunity. Our computer is perfect for this.

So God lets bad things happen simply by chance. So we can let ourselves be at the bidding of chance, or we can take chance into our own hands with risk and opportunity management.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
trump exists.

therefore, god doesn't exist.

checkmate.

[If trump exists, God does not exist] - hidden assumption
Trump exists

∴ God does not exist.

P -> q - this is a conditional statement

P

∴ q

Seems legit.

I've made the argument valid but the premises are in question.

Before trump existed, God existed.

After trump dies, God will exist again.

That's right: logic

If trump exists, God does not exist.
Trump does not exist
∴ God exists

P -> q

~p

∴ ~q

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^
Computer programmers need to watch out for these holes. Not everything is logical.

Hell yeah made this thread both religious and philosophical.

:smoke:

Tater

'g' predates trump
'g' was omnipotent
'g' was benevolent
if 'g' was omnipotent and benevolent, 'g' would prevent bad things from happening

trump is a bad thing
trump happened

therefore, 'g' does not predate trump, nor does 'g' exist

:D

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
A Christain ( Mormon?) came to my door once. I'm not Catholic but I have no problem with ( most) religious people so I was polite. When I told her I didn't believe in the Christian God she asked me if it was because " He lets bad things happen.?" I find such selfish, simplistic reason to be insulting and something that no enlightened person would ever consider.

I've had my share of " trauma" ( or so I've been told) it really does seem true that everytime I find something that gives me some sense of purpose or fullfillment it's taken away. ( but that's not the "traumatic" part, in case any of you assumed I'm so entitled.)

I've never been the type to wonder " Why me?" When I was a tiny kid at the research center for my particular brand of -at the time terminal- disease the kids would just whine, all day. " Why me? Why did God decide to this to meeee?" " Why do I have to die before everyone else!?"
I hated that shit. I said " If God did this it's because he knew what I was capable of, he couldn't keep that kind of power unchecked. and I'm not going to die." ( I did, but I got better.)

No matter what has happened to me I have never questioned "Why?" Never felt that it was some force " picking on me."
Honestly, the higher things stack against me the harder I laugh. Partially because I just love dramatic irony but mostly I think I would die of boredom w/out the challenege.
In the end, if it turns out there is some cosmic force out there making all of these things happen to me then I'm just flattered that finds little 'ol me worth the attention. I wish I'd written a speech.

To summarize; because shit just happens and " God" cannot possibly bothered with the supposed suffering of every human being.