• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why god let's bad things happen

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I have this sneaking suspicion that you are THE God in this scenario, yes?

Entrop_zpsfpz7r6fs.gif

Yes, the belief in yourself is the strongest religion on Earth. :)

Lark

When it comes to bad things happening there's a lot of people who need to be called to account before God is.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am not on God's email ban list. He is on mine.

To answer the original question: things happen. They are neither "good" or "bad" because nature doesn't recognize such a dichotomy existing, they are just things. People define the goodness or badness of those things and one thing could be good for one while being bad for other.

Lark

To answer the original question: things happen. They are neither "good" or "bad" because nature doesn't recognize such a dichotomy existing, they are just things. People define the goodness or badness of those things and one thing could be good for one while being bad for other.

Morpheus meme.jpeg

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Perhaps we are so tiny that no god even knows of us. Perhaps we are quarks in their soup. Or perhaps gods do not meddle with our affairs. They are like the governing body in sports leagues, they only meet between seasons to discuss possible rules changes. Or maybe the bad things that happen to us aren't that bad, when put to scope of milleniums.

Mole

Permabanned

Yes, we are the meaning creating animal. And as far as we know, there is no other meaning creating animals, and as far as we know, there are no supernatural beings creating meaning.

So we look to ourselves. How did we become meaning creating animals? How were we selected to create meaning? How does the ability to create meaning help us adapt to our environment?

And once we have the ability to create meaning, what shall we do with it?

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How did we become meaning creating animals?

I think this has something to do with peoples' obsession about time and our need to see time as something that is going somewhere. So we set up goal posts and meanings which explain the things that happened "before" and that happened "after" because of the things that happened before. I think putting meaning to thing is just trying to explain life and try to force it make sense while life just is.

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, turns out I did understand it. I just don't get the context. To my understanding I didn't comment on any laws of nature.

Maybe I should sleep more.

Lark

Didn't give you enough credit, Lark!

Your meme is more appropriate than you think. :)

There are objective laws in nature, those include what is good or bad, relativism is bunk, it is the unenlightened "enlightened" view that because it is difficult to tell sometimes then "all things are equal" when patently they are not

Passacaglia

There are objective laws in nature, those include what is good or bad, relativism is bunk, it is the unenlightened "enlightened" view that because it is difficult to tell sometimes then "all things are equal" when patently they are not
Truth.

We are all living under the oppression of the machines, in a digital fantasy -- whether we know it or not. That is the nature of our existence, and the impetus of our objectively moral prerogative.

We enlightened know that reality, no matter how unappealing, is superior to a comforting lie.

Star Atlas

Jonathan Haidt studied every philosophical and religious and moral tradition to find and distill ancient wisdom and see how it held up to modern understanding. Every one has a version of Nietzsche's "What does not kill me makes me stronger." So sages and wise folks throughout history of every background have determined that suffering is a key to growth and avoiding pain is a path to avoiding growth.

So, while God has no desire to hurt us, He understands that removing struggle stunts us. Therefore, it would hurt us more to remove all struggle and pain in the world, as it would prevent growth.

On of the greatest gifts of God is free will. Free will means that we can choose what we will do and that the others are free as well. They can cause pain to others, if they so desire, and if God were to stop everyone causing pain to others, he would need to reject free will.

So God loves us so much, he cares for us so much, that he doesn't just help us avoid failurev and pain, even though he could.

As a parent, one of the hardest things is letting fail and suffer consequences. It is hard not to try to protect one's children from any pain. Yet overly coddled children grow up incapable of handling life as well as those who were allowed to fail and suffer.

What God can do, without violating our free will, is help us and strengthen us, as we exercise faith and turn unto him. He can help us cope and grow. He can help us gain perspective and understanding. He can help us build resilience. He can help guide us on our path as we build our relationship with him.

I am confident that God cries when each of his children suffers. His restraint is a huge demonstration of his love.

Imagine for a minute that you had power to remove all suffering and pain in the world, yet you also had the knowledge that removing it would prevent growth and development, leaving everyone like spiritual infants, far below their potential, perventing your other goals.

Now, nothing prevents us from exercising our free will and helping others. We can look where we live and decide if we can serve our neighbors and make where we live better. We can decide every day to treat others as we would like to be treated. We can choose to share happiness and love and build up others. We can help bear the burdens of others by reaching out and providing the listening ear and the human compassion.

I like your post here.

I think most of our relationship with God is God patiently waiting for us to figure out that:

• Waiting for God to do all the things for us... provides nothing to be learned or grown from. He isn't our bitch.
  • Doing all things on our own just yields more and more mistakes which domino effect into the evil we so often see.

so that the way intended is one wherein there are both parties, in a relationship together, working towards a common goal: something something lovely swell pleasant sky shell here.

Which is easy to say in pixels but not so easy to enact in everyday living.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Jonathan Haidt studied every philosophical and religious and moral tradition to find and distill ancient wisdom and see how it held up to modern understanding. Every one has a version of Nietzsche's "What does not kill me makes me stronger." So sages and wise folks throughout history of every background have determined that suffering is a key to growth and avoiding pain is a path to avoiding growth.

So, while God has no desire to hurt us, He understands that removing struggle stunts us. Therefore, it would hurt us more to remove all struggle and pain in the world, as it would prevent growth.

On of the greatest gifts of God is free will. Free will means that we can choose what we will do and that the others are free as well. They can cause pain to others, if they so desire, and if God were to stop everyone causing pain to others, he would need to reject free will.

So God loves us so much, he cares for us so much, that he doesn't just help us avoid failurev and pain, even though he could.

As a parent, one of the hardest things is letting fail and suffer consequences. It is hard not to try to protect one's children from any pain. Yet overly coddled children grow up incapable of handling life as well as those who were allowed to fail and suffer.

What God can do, without violating our free will, is help us and strengthen us, as we exercise faith and turn unto him. He can help us cope and grow. He can help us gain perspective and understanding. He can help us build resilience. He can help guide us on our path as we build our relationship with him.

I am confident that God cries when each of his children suffers. His restraint is a huge demonstration of his love.

Imagine for a minute that you had power to remove all suffering and pain in the world, yet you also had the knowledge that removing it would prevent growth and development, leaving everyone like spiritual infants, far below their potential, perventing your other goals.

Now, nothing prevents us from exercising our free will and helping others. We can look where we live and decide if we can serve our neighbors and make where we live better. We can decide every day to treat others as we would like to be treated. We can choose to share happiness and love and build up others. We can help bear the burdens of others by reaching out and providing the listening ear and the human compassion.

Thanks for sharing this dear :) I guess this was what I've been needing to hear these days...