• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

about Hedonism

chado

MBTI Type
infp
Hedonists believe life is for living to the max. This means doing what feels good without regard for consequences in another life or from a supernatural force. Pleasure above virtue.
so whats your guys opinions on this.just living life to the best you can and enjoying as much as you can.without worrying about anything els?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Chado my man, my man. Ease with the definitions here. Hedonism is doing what makes you happy as a priority. It is an intrinsic good meaning happiness is good within itself and is an end.

Hedonism has its benefits and its disadvantages. However I am surprised how many people would destroy reality to give themselves into an illusion by a thought experiment I tell which comes from a Harvard professor.

Anyway, proceed on Typology Central.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ease with the definitions here. Hedonism is doing what makes you happy as a priority. It is an intrinsic good meaning happiness is good within itself and is an end.

Actually Hedonism is more correctly defined as seeking of pleasure being the highest good. So replace "happiness" with "pleasure" and that sentence is accurate.

I actually think you might have confused Hedonism with Epicurianism.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually Hedonism is more correctly defined as seeking of pleasure being the highest good. So replace "happiness" with "pleasure" and that sentence is accurate.

You're right. I might be confusing it. Epicureanism does have hedonism but it's mental pleasure > than physical pleasure.

I think I was only looking at happiness and not hedonism.

Excuse me typh0n and mr.chado

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Are you Epicurean?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you Epicurean?

Nope.

Though I guess its fair to assume since I have talked about a fair bit, in some posts on this subforum, but I am not Epicurean.

Actually I think I spoke of Epicureanism in only two posts, but one of them was in one of your threads, so I guess I see why you'd say that.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nope.

Though I guess its fair to assume since I have talked about a fair bit, in some posts on this subforum, but I am not Epicurean.

Actually I think I spoke of Epicureanism in only two posts, but one of them was in one of your threads, so I guess I see why you'd say that.

I looked into epicureanism, and save for a few minor details, the philosophy is pretty sound.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds nice, but I hate when people don't think of how their actions could hurt others. I do think that same people *cough* myself *cough* need to stop worrying about everything, but hedonists need to stop being so carefree because they just seem fuck everything up.

Mole

Permabanned
We have been asking what is the good life for some time. The Ancient Greeks discovered that moderation is the key to the good life. This would mean moderation in pleasure.

We can all see that extremism in religion, or extremism in sex and drugs, removes our dignity, our sense of balance, and our sense of what is good and bad. While moderation nurtures us and enables us to keep our eyes open, defend our rights and carry out our responsibilities.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds nice, but I hate when people don't think of how their actions could hurt others. I do think that same people *cough* myself *cough* need to stop worrying about everything, but hedonists need to stop being so carefree because they just seem fuck everything up.
Who defines a "fuck up"? Everything is fine.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe everything is fine in the grand scheme of things, but everyday individuals are hurting and dying. I guess it depends on whether you value individual well being or not.

Nothing can be done about it, so I don't worry about it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well I was more talking about not understanding the consequences of pleasure seeking behavior.

I think about that all the time. I would rather not show up to work, and I would like to steal things like cars and awesome expensive foods just to see what its like to use them, and I would like to experience the effect of various drugs to see what its like out of curiousity, but the cost-benefit analysis is skewed too far towards cost. Just because I have an idea or something feels good in the short run, doesn't make it good in the long run. Long-term net pleasure is the key, thus making short-term pain acceptable if greater pleasure is achieved.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys the things that make you happy.

Enneagram
9w1
This is a philosophy I loosely go by. As in I don't even really think about, I just go with whatever path seems like it'd be the most delicious for me considering both short term and long term effects (because doing just the former leaves me in a state of perpetual laziness and lack of willpower, while the latter is just completely disregarding what could be achieved in the present, and considering the present takes up the majority of our time alive (actually all of it o-O) it's worth it I think to allow yourself temporary indulgences. Or maybe that's a bit too dishonest.... maybe saving pleasure for the future actually is a form of pleasure in the present.... I should be an ascetic for awhile! :D)

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yolo is risky

il_570xN.819622639_h463.jpg

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
According to Aristotle, all men aspire to attain three virtues: Goodness, Wisdom, and Pleasure. The purpose of these three virtues is to gain happiness, which he deems the ultimate virtue. Hedonism is just the emphasis of the last virtue at the expense of the first two. The implication is that true happiness is of higher value than pleasure, and that true happiness cannot be acquired through pleasure alone.

Lark

Hedonists believe life is for living to the max. This means doing what feels good without regard for consequences in another life or from a supernatural force. Pleasure above virtue.
so whats your guys opinions on this.just living life to the best you can and enjoying as much as you can.without worrying about anything els?

Actually, the original hedonist, Epicurius, was big into consequences, he used to drink water at his parties and felt that any pleasure should be judged on whether or not it was lasting and whether or not it brought pain as a consequence, if it did bring pain then it was to be avoided.

So hedonism meant the avoidance of pain rather than the pursuit of pleasure, when the utilitarians revived the idea with Jeremy Bentham's hedonic calculus it was even more so the case of avoiding pain than pursuing pleasure.

Like most of the philosophers they were into the pleasures of the mind rather than body, better to be socrates disatisfied than a pig satisfied and all that.

Though some of Epicurous' followers were complete and utter douches, that's even before you get up to more recent times with ballbags like de Sade deciding that you could and ought to derive pleasure from inflicting pain on others and all that warped thinking.

Have you considered Stoicism and a greater balance? A lot of people sell hedonism to others as the first act in slow motion seductions or preparing the ground to abuse or exploit them, just saying, I never ever heard a drug dealer or any other shady short pitch the short comings of what they were pushing.

Mole

Permabanned
Other things being equal, if we have had a happy childhood where our parents helped us achieve our life goals, we are likely to have a high set point of happiness.

On the other hand, if we had parents abuse us, we are likely to repress our emotional pain, and inflict it on those who are vulnerable; and if we had parents who were authoritarian, and sought to control us rather than helping us, we are again likely to repress our emotional pain, and seek to control those who are vulnerable.

If we had helping parents, we are likely to value our own vulnerability and the vulnerability of others, and find our vulnerability is pleasurable rather than painful, and so bears fruit in creativity.

The great tragedy of abusing or controlling parents is that they poison the well springs of our creativity by poisoning our vulnerability.