• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To be, or not to be...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
More than a question but a personal choice.

I believe that every man has the right to choose to live or choose to cease to live and hence that suicide should not only be every man's right but also every man's option.

Thoughts?

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I most definitely agree fully, life under normal circumstances should be no ones elses to decide on. And if someone for some reason feel that they are tired of liveing they should be givent the right to do so.

I do how ever full its the most bullshit of ways to go out and if you are such a puss that you cant even deal with the day to day basics of life then you dont deserve it anyways, but thats a completely different topic.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh man, NO FUN!!!

:cry:

Y'all agree with me.

I am waiting for some dissenters to come through to make this thread fun.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hear they get it right in the future:

200px-Suicidebooth.png

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh man, NO FUN!!!

:cry:

Y'all agree with me.

I am waiting for some dissenters to come through to make this thread fun.

Well, I can't disagree that it's pretty much an option for every man, but I don't believe it's a right, no.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Assuming said person is capable of executing their decision.

I don't know how it works, but doing it without causing excessive emotional harm (identification etc.) sounds tricky. Although I've heard families in Japan have to pay a bill for one particularly messy method.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Old advice of my creation:

"The person you're going to be in five or ten years would kick your fucking ass for killing yourself. If you give him (or her) the chance."

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I can't disagree that it's pretty much an option for every man, but I don't believe it's a right, no.
How is it not one's right?

Are you honestly telling me that I do not, or should not, have the right to choose to end my life if the life I happen to be living is one of excruciating pain?

That's messed up dude, and highly insensitive.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Alrighty...

What say you on assisted suicide?

I am whole-heartedly for it, anyone against?

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, the only issue you really run into is whether or not that individual is competent to make that decision. (Since in fact they are incapable of killing themselves and obviously incapacitated to a certain degree, cognitive alertness would be an issue here) You could stipulate something like that in a will, similar to a D.N.R., but then you make it a legal and medicinal concern. That's an entire extra can of worms.

Do I think it should be...let's say "not illegal"? Why not? I don't really have any moral qualms about it, hey it's your life. But something like that would be highly unlikely to be implemented in a predominantly religious voting community such as the USA, which I think is probably your point here.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Do I think it should be...let's say "not illegal"? Why not? I don't really have any moral qualms about it, hey it's your life. But something like that would be highly unlikely to be implemented in a predominantly religious voting community such as the USA, which I think is probably your point here.
No, no, you run into the "mob mentality" there. People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them. They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No, no, you run into the "mob mentality" there. People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them. They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously.
Huzzah-what?!?!?!

"Mob mentality"

How?

"People who are thinking about suicide will justify their decision because someone else is willing to do it for them"

Uh, no!

"They convince themselves it's not a terrible idea. Quite unconsciously."

HUH!?!?!?!?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Yeah. Ever heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold? Most, including myself, think neither would have done a damn thing if left to his own devices. Instead, they each thought "since my buddy doesn't think it's a bad idea either, hell with it, let's do it."

If someone's willing to kill you, it's one less obstacle on your way to deciding to do it. "It must be OK if Dr. Kervorkian says he'll take me out."

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8

The issue here being assisted suicide, it will less be people merely thinking about suicide (because their dog got killed/got fired/dumped) , and more people who are living in agony or severely impeded by some sort of aillment (in most cases, however, it would be applicable to all citizens). As long as they come to a rational decision on their own terms, is that not valid? We all use external data to help us make decisions, this isn't really any different.

In fact, being assisted, they would have to go through many more steps than simply loading a .45 and applying it to the forehead. Giving people time to really weigh the severity and finality of the situation.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The issue here being assisted suicide, it will less be people merely thinking about suicide (because their dog got killed/got fired/dumped) , and more people who are living in agony or severely impeded by some sort of aillment (in most cases, however, it would be applicable to all citizens). As long as they come to a rational decision on their own terms, is that not valid? We all use external data to help us make decisions, this isn't really any different.
I'm morally OK with euthanasia in very extreme circumstances. I was discussing generalities; No one brought euthanasia up yet (or at least I wasn't thinking about JUST euthanasia).

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah. Ever heard of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold? Most, including myself, think neither would have done a damn thing if left to his own devices. Instead, they each thought "since my buddy doesn't think it's a bad idea either, hell with it, let's do it."

If someone's willing to kill you, it's one less obstacle on your way to deciding to do it. "It must be OK if Dr. Kervorkian says he'll take me out."
I do not know about, or of, these two people you speak of, but from your assessment of them, their deaths seem quite fitting seeing how of all issues to buckle on peer pressure, these numbskulls chose to succumb to their deaths because so and so said it was ok, lol!

Mr. Flak, do you not realize that the will to live is a deeply ingrained biological instinct?

*Most* people desire *not* to die but there are those few, who in extenuating circumstances, find themselves in a grave predicament wherein which their continued existence would only stand to afford them continued exposure to a magnitude of suffering so great, that for them, the option of death seems and becomes, quite rationally, the better choice.

In fact, being assisted, they would have to go through many more steps than simply loading a .45 and applying it to the forehead. Giving people time to really weigh the severity and finality of the situation.

Excellent post!