• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is time travel even possible?

Is time travel possible?

• Yes

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Yes, but only forwards

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Yes, but only backwards

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anything is 'possible', weather we could ever comprehend it is another matter.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Isn't our consciousness in some way limited to grasping only one instance of a third dimension at any time? If time travel were possible, could we even comprehend that?

Lib

Permabanned
Theoretically, yes, if we talk about teleportation, but it would change both your starting and ending spacetime points due to distortion in energy balance. Thus, the past is not the past it used to be but becomes a new past, never experienced before. The same goes for the future. Also, the new past is actually a future to you just before you teleport yourself. Some suggest that such teleportation through spacetime happens in small "portions" on a regular basis to an extend that it is a part of the observed flow of time. Time can only flow in one direction, though, because it is measured by the overall state of matter and energy that is not possible to reverse.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Past and future only exist within our minds. So as we all have a smaller or bigger gift called imagination, we are all able to fly.
Sleeping is a way of travelling through time. In the past (memories etc) but also in the future (premonitions).
How about travelling by plane, or by rocket.... If we consider our soul, time does not exist. It is just a tool helping creating markers in the called "real world".

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
I know I'm probably just talking to myself here, heh, but I don't know.
As conscious beings, we exist as part of a moment with a before and after. It's how we are able to understand things.
But what if the after sometimes preceded the before? Would we be able to discern when after precedes before or would we just mistake it as before and after regardless?
And why are we focused on our current moment and not a moment before or after? And why can't we seem to control that?

What I'm getting at is that I think time moves in all directions as an uncountable set, but that we perceive it linearly as a forward progression no matter what happens. So theoretically you could move through time by simply finding ways to reverse things, even if that is only a relative reversal where you reverse everything, but not yourself (you know, so you can keep your memories up to that point). But then by that same token, we also don't seem to have control over our current moment. So ultimate time travel would mean being able to control or choose our current moment; but technically speaking, if you could go back to any moment in time, you would have no idea that you did so because you would be exactly as you were in that moment. That's kind of a weird thought that I could be choosing to go back in time, but still end up in this moment not realizing that I did so.

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
Oh, reminds me of Alan Watts, I wonder if that's what he meant by that,

“Let's suppose that you were able every night to dream any dream that you wanted to dream. And that you could, for example, have the power within one night to dream 75 years of time. Or any length of time you wanted to have. And you would, naturally as you began on this adventure of dreams, you would fufill all your wishes. You would have every kind of pleasure you could conceive. And after several nights of 75 years of total pleasure each, you would say "Well, that was pretty great." But now let's have a surprise. Let's have a dream which isn't under control. Where something is gonna happen to me that I don't know what it's going to be. And you would dig that and come out of that and say "Wow, that was a close shave, wasn't it?" And then you would get more and more adventurous, and you would make further and further out gambles as to what you would dream. And finally, you would dream ... where you are now. You would dream the dream of living the life that you are actually living today.” - Alan Watts

Methylene

Now with more salt.
MBTI Type
LVEF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Let's talk about physics, shall we?
Forwards: there are certain conditions that make it impossible. Read about relativity. You'd need to travel at c (light) speed, at which "external, Earth misured" time stops. The problem is that for us it is mathematically impossible because we'd need to have mass 0. Also, if I'm not wrong, the energy needed to push anything to c is INFINITE. Not "a very big amount", but a straight mathematical asymptote.
Tomorrow I'll check in with the formulas, since I've studied this too much time ago and I'm writing this quick since I'm heading to bed.
Backwards: entropy. Thermodynamics: "in an isolated system (the universe), entropy can only increase." The classical example is "you can't uncook an egg", the microscopical/statistical interpretation explains why it's mathematically impossible to get all the microstates in a more ordinated set (the previous one). So, you can't set the universe back to those previous macrostates.
As I said before, tomorrow I'll come back with a better explaination, but those are the key concepts, if anyone wants to look into them.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
It is possible back in the ancient days witches have a spell to travel any time they want or work with time travels. There have been plenty of evidence inthe ancient days
YouTube
The story of atlantis regardless whether or not it is true ask yourself this what part of it is true. It is going to happen any way

Ad zombie Quarry...

Permabanned
Well, theoretically speaking, I would say it's possible. I always have the impression that I travel in time when visiting historical monuments or even cities.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
To follow up on [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION]'s thread I felt I shoułd ask you all if you think that it's even possible to travel through time?
I’ve watched the science documentary series “How the Universe Works.” The physicists say only going backwards is possible.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if this scientific these has been posted but someone published an article of maintaining your free will while time traveling and so far it has passed peer reviewed scrutiny.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure if this scientific these has been posted but someone published an article of maintaining your free will while time traveling and so far it has passed peer reviewed scrutiny.
How was "free will" even quantified, so it could then be placed under peer scrutiny?

yeghor

All possibilities of existence are superposed on top of each other. Time travel would then be a form of travelling between alternate realities.

If we assume that our conscience is somehow bonded/linked to our physical body, there might be a way to transport/switch our conscience to a past or future version of our body or to another version of our body in an alternate reality.

Even if we could do that would we be aware that we made the transition, or would we just assume that version's identity without noticing it?

In that case, is the true "me" the sum of my past/present/future and all possible/alternate versions and am I living all of them simultaneously without noticing it?

Why then am I attuned only to a certain version of myself? Are I's just multiple shadows cast on different topographies of existence by my true self?

Last edited: