User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is time travel possible?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 28.13%
  • No

8 25.00%
  • Yes, but only forwards

13 40.63%
  • Yes, but only backwards

2 6.25%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    317 so/sx
    Socionics
    LSE Si

Sleeping is a means of time travelling,
    Time goes by real fast when you're kipping.
    Life’s Administrator
    ESTJ ▫ LSE ▫ 317 ▫ So/Sx ▫ Neutral Evil ▫ RCOEN
    MALMSMT
    Likes Such Irony liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    317 so/sx
    Socionics
    LSE Si

@flourine

How come you're using this site?
    Life’s Administrator
    MALMSMT

Quote Originally Posted by narcissistic View Post
    Sleeping is a means of time travelling,
    Time goes by real fast when you're kipping.
    Yes, as we fall asleep, we briefly enter the hypnogogic state, which is a form of entrancement, where we are still conscious, but some of our mental faculties are not in use, such as our perception of time.

And also as we wake up, we pass through the hypnogogic state where, we might say, we are mildly awake, but not quite asleep.

And normally, just like sleep, we enter and leave entrancement all during the day, and we take it for granted, and it is something we are not immediately conscious of.

However it is possible to take entrancement into our creative hands and design our own entrancements for specific purposes.

To learn how to design our own entrancements a good place to start is The Way of Trance by Dennis Wier.
    Likes RedAmazoneFriendZone liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    317 so/sx
    Socionics
    LSE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, as we fall asleep, we briefly enter the hypnogogic state, which is a form of entrancement, where we are still conscious, but some of our mental faculties are not in use, such as our perception of time.

And also as we wake up, we pass through the hypnogogic state where, we might say, we are mildly awake, but not quite asleep.

And normally, just like sleep, we enter and leave entrancement all during the day, and we take it for granted, and it is something we are not immediately conscious of.

However it is possible to take entrancement into our creative hands and design our own entrancements for specific purposes.

To learn how to design our own entrancements a good place to start is The Way of Trance by Dennis Wier.
    The ways of the INTP usually helps me enter this trance i.e. being lazy.
    I'm quite unconscious of time i.e. feels like 10 minutes has past however in reality it's been 4 hours.
    Life’s Administrator
    MALMSMT

Quote Originally Posted by narcissistic View Post
    The ways of the INTP usually helps me enter this trance i.e. being lazy.
    I'm quite unconscious of time i.e. feels like 10 minutes has past however in reality it's been 4 hours.
    Yes, it is very likely you are in a trance. And indeed you may be susceptible to trance. This is like a kind of a gift and it can be used for good ends. On the other hand, it can become addictive and out of our control.

If you are introverted, it may be a way for you to avoid the stresses of the day. However you can take control of this by learning how to systematically relax. A good place to start is Relief Without Drugs by Ainslie Mears.

And once you have learnt to systematically relax, you can learn to create your own trances for your own purposes. A good place to start is The Way of Trance by Dennis Wier.
    Likes RedAmazoneFriendZone liked this post

MBTI
    Infj

Magpie said: ''When you're in an airplane and cross over time zones, getting to your location an hour before you left, you are, in a way, time travelling. ''

I think time travel is possible, but a good fictional novel to read about this is Three Days to Never by Tim Powers which is a book about how Albert Einstein invented time travel but the project was so confidential that not even the president knew. Yes, it's only fiction, but it's a whole world of possibility.

I voted 'yes' on the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by angelgirl View Post
    I think time travel is possible, but a good fictional novel to read about this is Three Days to Never by Tim Powers which is a book about how Albert Einstein invented time travel but the project was so confidential that not even the president knew. Yes, it's only fiction, but it's a whole world of possibility.

I voted 'yes' on the poll.
    From the point of view of Relativity time and space form a manifold. So to speak of time travel we assume time and space are separate. This is an old idea made obsolete by Relativity.

So in this thread when we speak of time travel we are speaking about a fantasy.

This is no surprise as both mbti and astrology are based on fantasy. But relativity is based on fact.

Of course we prefer fantasy to fact because we want to titillate our desires.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

In so much that time is a construct, the US government makes us go back an hour every winter. Always hated the concept of messing with Father Time though. The time zones are equally annoying. Apparently, the human brain cannot handle waking up at the usual hour and seeing it is still dark, so we have to mess with time as a whole country, so we can feel better.

And what about the leap year extra day! Where the hell did it come from? Again for expediency and so as to not have to think outside the box (can't be expected to handle the irregular 1/4th extra day the lazy earth takes to do its routine rounds around the sun), we have found a way to make time out of thin air every four years!

It does not fit into the corporate 9 to 5 scheme either. Would it be a holiday or would we get paid? This is more important that nature's our, well, rhythm. Never mind what exists, we will pretend it doesn't so we don't have to deal with something not standard issue.

So I can totally see us traveling back in time in the future. If a giant international political fuck-up occurred that taxed our collective brains too much, we will all agree to go back a year and decide that it never happened!
    When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
    When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

-Kahlil Gibran in The Prophet
    Likes Betty Blue liked this post